Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know this has probably been done a million times. My reason is because im still young and i dont want to be stuck in newcastle my whole life so im trying to use my qualifications to get me a job in a different sector.

ReputationRep:
    only you can answer that question, what is it that attracts you to the forces, why do you think you can make it, as it isn't easy, have you got any idea of what you want to do in the forces, what it will be like, etc.

go see your AFCO

ReputationRep:
    im in the process of joining. Also my local AFCO contacted me i didnt contact them lol

ReputationRep:
    Good on you OP!
    If I ever joined up my reasons; I think I'd feel right at home in the forces. I'd be able to use my skills/knowledge and apply it in something I actually enjoy. I'd probably get to see places, experience new things,not exactly what I'd find in a civvy job. I'd think I was making a difference, which is pretty fulfilling job-wise

ReputationRep:
    Pick one of the choices.

1. Go to uni, come out with a mountain of debt then spend the rest of your life living with your parents cos you can't get a job or the wages are crud. 4 years wasted.

2. Go to uni, come out with a mountain of debt, again but be one of the lucky ones who manages to get a house. Then work a dead boring job that you hate until your 65. However you pretend you think its fun.

3. Join the RAF, meet loads of friends, get given a cheap room, cheap food (someone else even cooks it) get paid to learn a 100% relevant skill, make the most of the adventure. And most importantly, you're working for a valuable organisation vital to the UK and the rest of the world, rather than helping a fat cat boss buy a new Roller every year. All right, there are a few risks...

I chose number 3. Seriously, who wouldn't? although a lot of people don't.
    I agree with Consilio Et Animis 100%
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by The_Great_One)
    My reason is because im still young and i dont want to be stuck in newcastle my whole life so im trying to use my qualifications to get me a job in a different sector.
    Not really very good reasons to join up. You need to think long and hard about the possibility of being sent to some quite unpleasant places for quite long periods of time and fairly often throughout your career. You need to think about it being more than a job and closer to a way of life. Compared to places you could live, Newcastle is wonderful!

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle is nice anyway, what is everyone insinuating!?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to get out of Newcastle, don't join up as a scopie (ASOp) as the chances are you'll spend most of your career at Boulmer (just outside Alnwick)!

ReputationRep:
    I've wanted to join for a number of reasons really, friends insist I want to join because I've never grown up and just want to spend my time playing soldiers in muddy fields....In essence they're not strictly wrong :P But I'm sure OASC won't want to hear that from an aircrew candidate!

I applied because I genuinely cannot see myself working in any other occupation other than the military. I only made the decision that I wanted to serve when I was about 15. I find it difficult to describe my motives for applying, it's what I want to do, I desperately want to succeed in the RAF, an organisation which links many of my interests but can also provide so much more than a job. It's well known that joining the military isn't just a job, it's a lifestyle; and I want that! I've thought long and hard about it, but military life now seems to be written into my genetic code!

Apologies for this short rambling, it's perhaps a little weird reading it, but I can't describe my motives for applying; I want this, and will stop at nothing to get it. Et voila, I shall now retire to bed...

ReputationRep:
    The money is good. Honestly.

ReputationRep:
    Lol to the guy who said newcastle is wonderful. I hate newcastle with a vengeance i hate it so much that i support sunderland.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say wonderful, I said nice. To me, there is a difference :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wallazabal)
    If you want to get out of Newcastle, don't join up as a scopie (ASOp) as the chances are you'll spend most of your career at Boulmer (just outside Alnwick)!
    Is ASOp a aerospace systems operator. how did u know i wanted to do that ha. I dont have any aptitude what so ever so i cant do it. Im going to apply to all three RAF, Navy and Army and see which one is daft enough to take me on :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Aerospace Systems Operator. I wasn't aware that the aptitude requirement for the trade was very high for ASOp. I know some folk who have got no aptitude whatsoever!

As to knowing you wanted to do it.....I didn't! It's what I do though and most folk (me included) end up at RAF Boulmer for at least their first tour.

ReputationRep:
    I got lost on the way to college.

ReputationRep:
    My main reason for joining was to get a trade, Its been the best thing ive done tbh not many people at my age say they working with multi Million pound Aircraft everyday + the social is second to done (£1.50 a Pint)

ReputationRep:
    I came out of the cinema having just watched top gun and thought wow join the airforce and get all the girls! (slight problem in top gun was navy and I don't fly planes!) Joined up and have been sadly dissapointed ever since. On a plus side the job was fun and I get to see the world!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FiveFiveSix)
    I got lost on the way to college.

Seen the red mist yet Jarhead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    Seen the red mist yet Jarhead?

ReputationRep:
    I have so many reasons for wanting to join....for me it's a fulltime paid career which I couldn't get anywhere else in my field (music). It's a way of combining my 2 biggest loves, keeping fit and music. I would get paid to learn new sports and try new things. When I have kids I'd get maternity leave which I wouldn't get as a freelance musician, therefore creating an amazing environment to have a family in (eventually). I love the sense of community and family that you get in the military, and it would be an honour to fight for my country....even if I'm not allowed on the "front line". And I'd be set up for a fantastic career when I retire from the army, with a full pension but still be young enough to be able to work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.