Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbellejess)
    creating an amazing environment to have a family in (eventually).
    I'll be honest, I've never seen that quoted as a reason for joining the armed forces before...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theo1977)
    I'll be honest, I've never seen that quoted as a reason for joining the armed forces before...
    I know it sounds weird, but as a freelance musician I'd be living from gig to gig, whereas the Army I'd have a regular wage, which means that when I have kids (heck of a long way off) I'd get maternity leave as opposed to just not working and getting nothing. And I'd have a job to go back to which I wouldn't as a freelance. That and they can put your kids in a decent school too, for me it's very desirable compared to the alternative. It's not my main reason for joining by all means, but when I realised this, it made the Army even more appealing!

ReputationRep:
    Main reasons for joining up, mostly following my dad although he was army, also the career and chance to get out and see places not many people can say they've seen

ReputationRep:
    I've been around the lifestyle virtually my whole life. Seeing as I have no commitments and have always wanted to serve my country, it was natural that I look at the possibility at some time. I've been in the RNR for a while now and enjoy it a lot. I have the basis really to pursue something that has always mattered to me and so I'm going to do it. On top of that the lure of getting out of the town, getting out of civvy life, and seeing different places in the world whilst learning new skills that actually mean something on a wider scale represents a number of huge bonuses. Personally, having lived my life as an army kid, I've never experienced anything as complete and communal as it. Obviously I expect the Navy to be different, but also I expect it to be in some ways the same within those differences.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.