Turn on thread page Beta

Not sure if I need to renew my passport to travel? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, the date of expiry on my passport is the 8th of March and I travel to France on the 18th - 21st. Am I ok to travel as it says I need a month on it to travel to France. Is this right as mine says March and I travel in the month of Feb? Please help or I can see my next weekend involving a trip down home, queueing at the head office to sort this out :o:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I thought you meant you were travelling in March! Hmm, I think it'll be ok, and you've left it quite late anyway to get it done. You might want to ring up and check though.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you needed to get it sorted out, it'd probably be too late to get one now as it takes them a fair while to get it renewed. But yeah, you'll probably need to renew it.

ReputationRep:
    Renewing a passport is quite quick and easy. You might as well do it and be safe incase you get stuck in france or decide to stay any further. Also, looks like you've only got 2-3 weeks so you aren't covered by a month so they might be iffy about letting you travel.#

Edit: oh wait, you're probably a bit late to safely get it back with normal renewal service but you can get it done on their 24 hr one)

ReputationRep:
    If i were i would double checked to be on the safe side. Im sure you need more than one month left on the passport to be valid. I thought it was 6 months.

i just renewed my passport at the end of Jan, and i got it back in less than 2 weeks. They were really quick,

ReputationRep:
    There are options on the passport to get it back quicker though it costs more. OP you need to check soon about this otherwise you will either not be able to travel or be stuck paying out hundreds for a new passport with a quick turnaround!

ReputationRep:
    If it says a month, it means 1 month before the date of expiry, so 8th Feb.
    Go get it renewed pronto. And next time don't leave it so close to the line before it runs out! ;p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lost in the rain)
    If i were i would double checked to be on the safe side. Im sure you need more than one month left on the passport to be valid. I thought it was 6 months.

i just renewed my passport at the end of Jan, and i got it back in less than 2 weeks. They were really quick,
    Length left on the passport depends on the country you visit. E.G. USA is 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    I went to the travel agents and asked the woman at the desk, she done some clicking and typing and told me a valid passport is all I need for France so no one month thing. But yes, I should really have checked sooner :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's France - they barely ever check your passport anyway. You'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    You dont actually need a passport to travel across EU borders :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomo2000)
    Yes you do. The EU and Schengen aren't synonymous which is why the OP will need a passport to enter France and a passport to reenter the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomo2000)
    Britons do, we and Ireland are not signatories to the Schengen agreement, although the new ID card will also suffice in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
    Yes you do. The EU and Schengen aren't synonymous which is why the OP will need a passport to enter France and a passport to reenter the UK.
    An ID card is enough.

But then again there are no ID cards in Britain (yet). Because apparently they violate people's rights, or something..

ReputationRep:
    A driving license can also be used

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    An ID card is enough.

But then again there are no ID cards in Britain (yet). Because apparently they violate people's rights, or something..
    How wrong could you be!
    ID cards are already in existence they are being trialled in manchester and london
    http://idsmart.direct.gov.uk/index.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davidosh)
    A driving license can also be used
    absolute rubbish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    absolute rubbish
    Could've sworn it was one of the few reasons we joined the EU and signed the lisbon treaty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    How wrong could you be!
    ID cards are already in existence they are being trialled in manchester and london
    http://idsmart.direct.gov.uk/index.html
    Well clearly I could be more wrong, as they are not available to everyone at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    Well clearly I could be more wrong, as they are not available to everyone at the moment.
    now you're wriggling!
    there are no ID cards in Britain
    couldn't be any wronger!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.