Accomodation? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Chester
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hey guys,

What is everyones opinion of Uni accomodation? Where are you all at and what's it like? Where is the worst? Where is the best?

Thanks!

Chester
Filibuster
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Chester)
Hey guys,

What is everyones opinion of Uni accomodation? Where are you all at and what's it like? Where is the worst? Where is the best?

Thanks!

Chester
It really depends on where you go. Some more modern places will have nicer accommodation, Warwick springs to mind. But even there lies many variations.
The best/worst accommodation is a matter of opinion. Some might think modern with all the latest toys is nice, where others might like the traditional features that older accomm in places like Durham,Oxbridge and Bristol.
But even within those lies some less appealing accom.
You see my point.
Chester
Rep:
?
Yeah thanks. I went to look at Aber and didn't like the accomodation there at all. However, St Andrews' looked lovely.

My idea of poor accomodation is really, really tiny rooms.
Filibuster
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Chester)
Yeah thanks. I went to look at Aber and didn't like the accomodation there at all. However, St Andrews' looked lovely.

My idea of poor accomodation is really, really tiny rooms.
The london ones have tiny rooms.One of the halls in seff that I got taken around post offer open day was not very nice, quite small. In fact the building looked like a block of council flats. (no offence to anybody who lives in these).
Dont kno why they showed us these when there was nicer looking ones round the corner :rolleyes:
Apricot Fairy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you want an example of the level of variation there can be between different types of accommoation, Exeter is your perfect example.

On the one end of the scale, you have Lafrowda standard. Rooms big enough for a single bed and a tiny desk, and about a square metre of floor space. Dark, dingy, doesn't even have plaster on the walls. The corridors are really narrow and the kitchens are nasty and cramped. You're sharing dodgy facilities with about a million other people. But the people who live there have a reputation for being really friendly.

On the other hand, you have Holland Hall. Brand new catered accommodation, basically hotel standard. You get a big room with a double bed, ensuite bathroom and (get this) a balcony. Your meals are served in a glass fronted restaurant with amazing views of the Exe valley. Costs about £130/week. If you want to live here, you will pay for it. And you will be living exclusively with people who can afford to pay for it, with all that that implies. I'd imagine it's extremely public school.

Two very different halls, same university.

I'm going to Bristol, and there are again, loads of variations in the accommodation there, from the Oxbridge-style, fully catered Wills Hall, to self-catering flats of varying standards, to student houses. You might be living in the centre of Bristol, or you could be living a 40 minute walk out, in the suburbs.

But I used Exeter as an example because it is perfect for the point I was trying to get across. There will be massive differences in accommodation wherever you go. They need to cater for everybody's needs. They also need to have posh accommodation to attract rich people who might otherwise not bother applying, but they also need to have shabby accommodation for people who are genuinely on a budget.
Chester
Rep:
?
Thanks!
VVV1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I was pleased with my accomodation - it was basic but big enough and i managed to make it homey. A girl in the room next to me though hated it and thought it was horrible so i suppose it depends on what you are used to and what you expect.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1495)
79.61%
Leave (383)
20.39%

Watched Threads