Turn on thread page Beta

Dating a taller girl watch

ReputationRep:
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/...28_468x574.jpg
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2oXH8AbQCf...Tom+Cruise.jpg

these guys seem to manage :p:
    it might be a bit strange at first, but i'm sure you'll get used to it. i've dated someone who was a bit shorter than me (it bothered him) although it was only for like a month..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziik)
    I think it's a pity if you would let something as superficial as height get in between.
    To be honest, I can somehow understand it, as it's all social stereotypes, preconceptions and just an unwritten "rule" that most of the guys are taller than their girlfriends, so people are growing up with this being imprinted into their brains and then just follow that route in the adult life.

It's good, 'cause - in all honesty - I like people who are unusual, extraordinary and stand out from the crowd themselves. If just my short height is enough for a girl to dismiss me completely, then fine, I'm happy with that, as it would be very highly unlikely we would get along well anyway, with me just not being able to stand peanut-size brained invididuals, and people who conform to social stereotypes lead pretty boring lives more often than not, without being happy to break out/stand out or just do anything that's considered unusual.

If she says "no", that means I would probably not be attracted to her anyway, in the first place. Saves time, for both me and her.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm...its a tricky one.....i am about 5'10 and once dated a girl my height....it was kinda weird ,especially when she wore heels...but later i didnt care.. we were the same height but my physique was bigger..so i guess it depends?......

ReputationRep:
    I'm about 5ft 10" and my bf is only 5ft 7" ish and we have been together 3 years. Its a little strange to start with but you get used to it.
    It doesn't matter what other people think as long as you are happy. Forget about everyone but yourselves and if you are truely happy it doesn't matter.

(Original post by p.d)
    Stop trolling because there will always be prejudicism regarding height. Not a valid question.
    Is there a Godwin's law of trolling accusations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    I'm 5'6 and lots of girls are taller than me. You just have to adapt by doing things like using stairs for kissing etc!
    Ha, thanks for the tip! I'll remember that one.

(Original post by XFire36)
    6'2/3 female, where?
    They're everywhere: It's like living in Amazonia here!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly speaking go for it if you like her!! If she's a lovely person and she's someone that you can see yourself being with in the future then why not? I don't think it's you that has the problem with it, it's society and you're caring too much about society.

If people cared about what society thought, there would be NO progress in this world and you would be an unhappy person. Think about how messed up you would feel if you really did like her a lot but you just let her slip because of something she had no control over! How would that make HER feel? If you don't like her then fair enough but if you do then BLOODY GO FOR IT!

Also how would you know that you can't "fulfill any boyfriend role" if you haven't tried? I personally think height doesn't stop you from that but you will never know for yourself unless you tried.

If you wanna talk you can just PM me =D
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    That ain't cool.

RUBBISH... I am the same height as her and hate the fact that guys seem to chicken out as soon as they realise that i am taller than them. Go for it

ReputationRep:
    I think you're in for a disaster. You will DEFINITELY become her ***** due to you being smaller. I wouldnt be suprised if she walked you around on a lead, to be fair. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I met a girl the other day at a party my flat was throwing. We get on well etc, and we're planning on going on a date some time this coming week.

I'm somewhere around 5'11" and she was (with heels on) something like 6'2" or maybe even 6'3" - We had a good time together, but I didn't feel exactly comfortable when she ducked down to talk to me!

The real problem is that I'm not sure if I can date a girl that is taller than me - even though I like her and I find her attractive. It feels like being shorter would stop me from being able to fulfil any 'boyfriend' role.

- So, what do people think? How important is height?
    The best things come in TALL packages :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    I've been going out with my boyfriend for over a year, i've had my issues regarding me being taller than him but he never had any problem. If you like each other the height difference won't prevail, be happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugar_and_spice)
    The best things come in TALL packages :thumbsup:
    Women of all sizes come in great packages, it just depends on who gets to open them! You, in particular S&S, should also check in to this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...00232&page=418

I just think it's a shame that we're forbidden to do certain things because of the way we're conditioned to think. I would hate it if this situation was reversed and a girl liked me, but had an issue with my height. I'm not small, but as girls get bigger and bigger, they still grow up with the "Ken and Barbie" syndrome, therefore looking (if you'll excuse the pun) over those men who are average or smaller. Love isn't perfect, nor does it look entirely perfect in a modern, conscious society. Plenty of people laugh at Jamie Cullum and Tom Cruise, but they're in love, why should we laugh at it becuase of what we've been brain washed into thinking?

ReputationRep:
    Height wouldn't bother me. Just happens that all the 3 girls I went out with ever have all been shorter than me. But if she was taller than me with or without heels it wouldn't be a problem.

If you like her then make a go of it and forget about the height, it may be the best decision you ever make...

ReputationRep:
    http://9gag.com/photo/3578_540.jpg

ReputationRep:
    It would really bother me tbh, I'm 5ft'11ish and every guy i've been with has been taller than me. It's all down to personal taste though, I like big, manly men, if I dated someone smaller than me I wouldnt feel protected or 'looked after'. I know girls that do date shorter men though, and theyre perfectly happy

ReputationRep:
    Stop being a muppet. Just go for it. Might as well!

ReputationRep:
    why did you want to go on a date with her then.

ReputationRep:
    As long as the boy has a bigger body than the girl!
    I prefer taller boys, because I;m not exactly huge.
    But OP, if you like her you like her the world's not going to collapse if you hold her hand

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.