Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Last year for AS i got U... and obv dropped it

I'm applying for Biomedical Science this year and the university i'm (hopefully) going to want BCC... i probably will get that... But should i retake maths in the summer to get it to at least an E at AS?
    I have to make my decision by this Thursday, and i'm worried that i'd be spreading myself thin cos all my subjects are quite demanding atm AND i'm working towards doing my Grade 8 piano AND Grade 4 organ this summer as well... Ahh so much stuff happening!

Also, my sister was like if you want to retake it then aim high there's no point of doing it if you're only gonna pick up a few marks... Which is true i guess, but i was thinking that an E is a pass... but yeah :confused:

Just wanted other opinions (:

ReputationRep:
    Exactly how badly did you do last year? Did you do badly or all three units, or quite well in two, and horrendously in the other? Because there's quite a difference between retaking 1 unit and retaking 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Exactly how badly did you do last year? Did you do badly or all three units, or quite well in two, and horrendously in the other? Because there's quite a difference between retaking 1 unit and retaking 3.
    C1 - 50/100
    C2 - 40/100
    M1 - 20/100

I'm not even gonna think about M1, that was an absolute nightmare
    I was thinking of perhaps retaking either 1 or both of C1 and C2?

ReputationRep:
    Did you even try in M1? Surely you can get atleast 40/100 in that just from remembering SUVAT equations and a bit of logic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    Did you even try in M1? Surely you can get atleast 40/100 in that just from remembering SUVAT equations and a bit of logic
    If i was being honest, i don't think i tried as hard as i could've

If i feel that i really suck at something, i sometimes completely shut off from it, don't want to know about it

ReputationRep:
    Dont jeapordise your other 3 A levels just to get an E in AS maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxpenguinnnxxx)
    C1 - 50/100
    C2 - 40/100
    M1 - 20/100

I'm not even gonna think about M1, that was an absolute nightmare
    I was thinking of perhaps retaking either 1 or both of C1 and C2?
    So you were only actually 10 UMS off the E. So having another hash at M1 seems like the best idea, or, if you really don't want to do that, then you could maybe ask if your school does D1 (Decision Maths)? It's certainly annoying, but conceptually quite easy, and you really wouldn't need to put much effort in in order to get 30 UMS.

(Original post by Banburyhammer)
    Dont jeapordise your other 3 A levels just to get an E in AS maths
    :ditto:
    Forget retaking maths, unless you can get a higher grade than E as well as achieving your predicted grades. If you seriously think you can't get a C or above, then just concentrate on your other 3 A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Maths shouldn't be attempted at A Level if you don't like it much. It is a very demanding subject. If you try to do that too this summer, it will probably affect your performance in your other subjects and you also won't have time to practice your piano and organ playing.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.