Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have tubular breasts watch

ReputationRep:
    If they're really bad, you may be able to get it on the NHS. At least talk to a doctor about it because it sounds it sounds like it's a big deal for you.

ReputationRep:
    Speak to your GP. If they are really affecting your state of mind/mental wellbeing then you can get them operated on through the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    OP. Go onto the channel 4 website and watch last weeks episode of embarrasing bodies. I think it might help you. And I think you're entitled to a boob job on the NHS.
    Yeah I saw some of this also. The operation was fairly simple and they did look a lot better afterwards if you looked past the swelling and scarring which is temporary.

ReputationRep:
    The condition is actually Tuberous breasts and according to the programme Embarassing Illnesses it is a congenital deformity and treatment is available on the NHS for free.

The OP should visit her GP and confirm the diagnosis and then ask for a referral to a surgeon if she wants surgery. Bear in mind they won't do anything until you are about 19 or 20 and you've finished growing. Don't be shy as surely a few minutes embarassment is better than years of stress over them!

And the girl with the enlarged areola sounds as though she has the same condition and should perhaps ask her GP for confirmation, assuming that she actually wants to do anything about them.

For myself, I haven't decided whether or not the condition justifies having surgery as I feel really squeemish about the actual operation and the resulting scars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe_ex)
    i had the same problem, but i put on a bit of weight and it got better. i think that was due to the contraceptive pill though coz sometimes ur breasts get bigger coz of it.
    I never knew that...

OP: Go to the Doctor, I had to sit and explain to a young (24 maybe...?) Male doctor that my Periods were very heavy, painful and irregular, that was embarrasing.
    Doctors deal with this kind of stuff all the time, just get a female. (:

Thanks to everyone for the replies, especially the nice ones lol.

I haven't watched Embarassing bodies, but I will do.
    I used the word deformity because that is what this is called, apparantly: Tubular Breast Deformity.
    And the article in Cosmo was a real-life story about woman whose breasts were like mine. She had surgery and is much more confident in herself now. I only mentioned the magazine because it was that story that made me realise that is the problem I have... Not simply that my breasts are saggy or weird. My nipples are large, too. Bleh.

As many of you have said, I think I will make an appointment with my GP and I will try not to be embarassed, or cry lol I know doctors have seen tons of breasts before so I will try to keep this in mind.
    Good luck to anyone else who has the same problem and wants to get something done about it.

Thanx again guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon or delete please. Thanks.

I'm almost 20 and have never been naked in front of anyone, for this reason. They just look awful Even the best bra won't help.
    I've told my best friend that I hate my breasts because they look 'saggy', but she always says "Oh don't be silly, I'm sure they're fine!" But I only found out today [reading an article in Cosmo] that this is the actual name for the deformity I have. And I don't want to tell her that, because it's just so embarassing!

I desperately want surgery, but I can't confide in my mum about this because she'd just say "Why? Who's going to see them?" [she's very religious and doesn't believe in sex before marriage], which is not the whole reason why I want surgery... It's mainly because I lack any self-confidence. 2) I'm so so nervous about going to the doctor because I'm obviously going to have to show her my breasts. And 3) There's no way I could possibly afford surgery, but I don't know if I'd be able to get an operation on the NHS...

This is really getting me down and stopping me from being confident with male attention :cry: Advice please?
    Well any guy whose attention span on you is based on the size/shape of your breasts isn't worth it. Better now you know this before the inevitable heart break

ReputationRep:
    This is a deformity..? I thought it was normal... My confidence has taken a hit tonight

ReputationRep:
    What? i also have somewhat tubular breasts and i don't like it, infact alot of people do. There are many things that upset people about their bodies, but that doesnt mean the NHS should be paying to fix it (prime example = manboobs). Only SEVERE deformities should be treated for free, and seeing as your mother sees no problem with your breasts i am inclined to believe that you are worried simply because your breasts arent quite perfect.

Also, that channel 4 embarassing bodies thing has a surgeon that draws how boobs 'should' be, and its rediculous. he draws that they should be a way which maybe a lucky 19 year old would have. They are paid to tell people they have problems which arent necessarily such a problem.

I am willing to take a bet that you are a perfectly good looking girl with a good body, and are focusing on one part that you dont like.

ReputationRep:
    Embarrasing bodies is a terrible program which tells people that they should all look a certain way, as the person above has mentioned. This program also informed me about a 'deformity', which I was completely oblivious to before watching the program, and instead of the doctors telling the girl that everybody is different and that she was perfectly normal, they decided to point out that she was abnormal (their definition of abnormal must be not fitting into the perfect body image, which is rather ironic) and actually ENCOURAGED her to have surgery, instead of offering her counselling for her confidence issues, which is what any good doctor hould do before suggesting surgery. Gahhh.

/rant

I'm not telling you not to get surgery at all, I'm just saying think about it seriously, do your research and lots of it, and consider all your options before you jump into it. And don't watch trash programs and read trash magazines, as they will just knock your confidence even more.

Goodluck whatever you decide

ReputationRep:
    I would like to see the outcome of this. i fear it will anger me though.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, well I didn't know what tubular breasts look like, so I googled it.

The ones I've seen don't look all that bad. Really! It could be that you've built it all up in your mind, when really they're fine (And besides, I don't think that guys really care too much. Boobs are boobs, no matter the shape)

ReputationRep:
    tubular breasts was featured on embaressing bodies this week
    it has advice
    go on channel 4od website and watch the embaressing bodies last episode (wednesday i think) x

ReputationRep:
    oh oops
    its already been said :P
    ignore me

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the others about embaressing bodies being a crap program. Tubular breasts are perfectly normal and there's nothing wrong with having them. Everyone has different shapes and sizes. Just because embarressing bodies says your breasts should be a certain style doesn't make it true. It's a plastic surgeon trying to drum up business.

ReputationRep:
    I have this problem as well, thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    2) I'm so so nervous about going to the doctor because I'm obviously going to have to show her my breasts. And 3) There's no way I could possibly afford surgery, but I don't know if I'd be able to get an operation on the NHS..
    I have seen 20 pictures of tubular breasts by searching google, im sure your doctor has seen plenty more.

And you may qualify for free surgery if you can prove its causing severe depression.

ReputationRep:
    Anon or delete please. Thanks.

I'm almost 20 and have never been naked in front of anyone, for this reason. They just look awful Even the best bra won't help.
    I've told my best friend that I hate my breasts because they look 'saggy', but she always says "Oh don't be silly, I'm sure they're fine!" But I only found out today [reading an article in Cosmo] that this is the actual name for the deformity I have. And I don't want to tell her that, because it's just so embarassing!

I desperately want surgery, but I can't confide in my mum about this because she'd just say "Why? Who's going to see them?" [she's very religious and doesn't believe in sex before marriage], which is not the whole reason why I want surgery... It's mainly because I lack any self-confidence. 2) I'm so so nervous about going to the doctor because I'm obviously going to have to show her my breasts. And 3) There's no way I could possibly afford surgery, but I don't know if I'd be able to get an operation on the NHS...

This is really getting me down and stopping me from being confident with male attention :cry: Advice please?
    hey, PM me, ive got advice but its personal so i dont want to post it publicly

ReputationRep:
    I agree Embarrassing Bodies is terrible when it comes to boobs. They should have told the girl with tubular breasts that its normal and that everyone is different. I think they should have shown some pictures of "normal" breasts (i.e. shown the variations boobs have, from saggy with stretch marks, big areolas, tubular breasts, very small ones, one bigger than the other, etc) to show viewers at home that everything is normal.

Last series a woman came in because after having breastfed her boobs weren't the same as they were before she got pregnant. Um, duh? It made me so angry that they gave her a boob job, thats basically saying theres something wrong with having imperfect boobs and that they need to be corrected. Rather than encouraging women to realise that there is no normal when it comes to boobs and that changes in your body from pregnancy and breastfeeding are not a bad thing, they are exacerbating the problem of people having plastic surgery when they don't need it.

Well now I'm in two minds to even tell my doctor about this.

But to everyone saying that the images they've seen on google aren't so bad and guys won't care... breasts come in all different shapes and sizes... Well it's all very easy to say that, even I would say the same thing to someone else if my breasts were normal. But I think you'd see it in a different light if you had tubular breasts yourself. You might have the same worries as I do.

I just wish they looked normal! Nice and perky and round, like they should do. If I was to have surgery, they'd give me implants, but I actually don't want implants. So I am confused.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.