Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay a really dumb question..I know :o:

But is it possible to end a friendship?! What I mean is, can you just cut out a friend out of your life..and not regret it later?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is possible.

I would regret it, others would not.

ReputationRep:
    It's definately possible, and if the reasons are right then it's just an easy process. If you have a feeling you'll regret it then maybe you don't have good enough reason to end it...in which case you shouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    Yes, it is possible.

I would regret it, others would not.
    Say this friendship felt more like a one way one..but regardless of that, you still enjoyed the person's company, is it worth having them as a friend and feeling like crap sometimes?

(Original post by Playboy King)
    It's definitely possible, and if the reasons are right then it's just an easy process. If you have a feeling you'll regret it then maybe you don't have good enough reason to end it...in which case you shouldn't.
    I get what you're saying..but what if part of you felt like it really wasn't worth it? Andd it kept doing your head in? I mean i've cut off people before, but somehow they always come back =/ that's why I just don't think it's possible with me lol.

ReputationRep:
    Seemingly so. :bebored:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by so_asian)
    Say this friendship felt more like a one way one..but regardless of that, you still enjoyed the person's company, is it worth having them as a friend and feeling like crap sometimes?
    Have you talked to your friend and discussed the issue? Is it something he or she does that makes you uncomfortable? Talk to them, it might work, they might change. If, it doesn't go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    I had a friend once that used me like a plastic bag. I was her best friend when she needed homework, or when she missed the classes notes or when she needed to drag someone somewhere and didn't want to go alone.

When I needed homework, or when I needed someone to come with me somewhere - OH NOOOOO! She couldn't do it. I enjoyed her company and that's why I never stood up to her.

Looking back, I was such a fool. If your friend is really using you and it makes you feel like crap, you stand up to her and tell her how you feel. No one should ever make you feel crap. Don't be a fool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    Have you talked to your friend and discussed the issue? Is it something he or she does that makes you uncomfortable? Talk to them, it might work, they might change. If, it doesn't go ahead.
    Yeh i've mentioned it a few times..probably not properly, but it's obvious enough! It just turns to, how do I? And why do you say that..kinda thing! Even with me explaining it..clearly they don't see it =/ Andd I know it'll never change! =(

(Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    I had a friend once that used me like a plastic bag. I was her best friend when she needed homework, or when she missed the classes notes or when she needed to drag someone somewhere and didn't want to go alone.

When I needed homework, or when I needed someone to come with me somewhere - OH NOOOOO! She couldn't do it. I enjoyed her company and that's why I never stood up to her.

Looking back, I was such a fool. If your friend is really using you and it makes you feel like crap, you stand up to her and tell her how you feel. No one should ever make you feel crap. Don't be a fool.
    Aww i'm really sorry to hear that! I had that with a friend..I did everthing for her..even helped her to get in to uni, and then she turned a ***** and forgot about me, and now her lifes in a mess and she keeps coming back..but I don't really make an effort with her.

You know you'd think i'd know by now not to make the same mistake twice..but every situation is different! Even though I get abit fed up sometimes, the company when its good, makes up for it, if that makes sense? Andd I have a feeling if I do cut it off, I might regret it, but it'l be too late to go back?

ReputationRep:
    Avoid them for a while, they'll get the message...just be nice about it.

ReputationRep:
    I did this when a girl i used to be friends with started to become a compulsive liar. Extreame things like telling me her mum was dying when she wasn't etc
    So i just stopped talking to her and gradually have kind of erased her from my life.
    Took a while as she wasnt just someone i could have fallen out with as it would have made the situatio lot harder due to her childish antics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Avoid them for a while, they'll get the message...just be nice about it.
    hmm..you know I think this is a good idea..gonna give this a try!
    I just know i'm too weak and might end up talking to them anyways =(

ReputationRep:
    hmm..you know I think this is a good idea..gonna give this a try!
    I just know i'm too weak and might end up talking to them anyways =(
    You've just got to bite the bullet and try your best! I remember I had a friend that lied about being raped - totally not cool - and I did this...it worked, without leaving any drama.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    You've just got to bite the bullet and try your best! I remember I had a friend that lied about being raped - totally not cool - and I did this...it worked, without leaving any drama.
    Why would you even lie about something like that?! =/
    Yeh guess you're right..i'm gonna try this, hopefully it works, and I don't give in..thanks for your help, and everyone else =)

ReputationRep:
    Whether you regret cutting ties with someone, depends a lot on why you cut ties in the first place. Is it because their attitude and behaviour has changed? Has the friendship just fizzled out? Do they get on your nerves? Bore you to tears? Have they stabbed you in the back? But to answer your question, yes, it's entirely possible. I've done this a few times myself. It's pretty easy to do if you've got a good suport network of friends. They dont have to know that you've cut ties with someone, but having other solid friendships to fall back on helps a great deal. I can understand why you may feel a little apprehensive about cutting them out if there's no replacement.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.