Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello I'd just like to know whether you choose your roommates when living in university accomodation in your first year and what the process is for deciding, etc. etc. Also, I'd like some roommate experiences – do you guys have nice roommates? Horrible roommates? Or just people you need to get used to? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Generally, you don't pick.

ReputationRep:
    You're usually just thrown in together, however some universities have questionnaires you fill out and they try and match you.

I know Bournemouth for one do this in at least one set of their housing. Not actually heard of others using this system now I think about it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saffronFingers)
    Hello I'd just like to know whether you choose your roommates when living in university accomodation in your first year and what the process is for deciding, etc. etc. Also, I'd like some roommate experiences – do you guys have nice roommates? Horrible roommates? Or just people you need to get used to? Thanks.

Hmmm, I suspect you must either be North American, or get your ideas about university from watching North American television programmes.

It is very uncommon in the UK for students living in university accommodation to share with a roommate. Kitchens/bathrooms are usually shared - but almost all will have their own private bedroom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mja)
    Hmmm, I suspect you must either be North American, or get your ideas about university from watching North American television programmes.

It is very uncommon in the UK for students living in university accommodation to share with a roommate. Kitchens/bathrooms are usually shared - but almost all will have their own private bedroom.
    It's not so uncommon. My friends in Imperial have room mates.

Though yes, you usually do have your own room.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get to pick my flatmates, but I didn't know anyone coming here anyway.
    The first few weeks were great and everyone in my flat got on amazingly well and we were always together, and then the clashes in personalities started to show. But by the time that happened it was OK, because we'd all made other friends anyway. Things are still civil, we just don't all hang out together any more. Two of my flatmates are now my best friends and we're constantly in each others' rooms.
    Living in halls definitely takes some adjusting to, but you do just learn to deal with people that you perhaps wouldn't have chosen to live with.

ReputationRep:
    Some universities give you folders with people's photos and then you might choose who you live with. According to what they look like - I know some universities that took semi-nude pictuores of girls and boys were able to choose the fittest ones they wanted to live with and f**k later on, obviously, later in the term.

ReputationRep:
    I had to fill out a survey....dont think they listened to a word of it
    awesome floor though, which helps i guess
    but yeah i dont really have much in common with the guy, could be worse, but could be better....its all down to luck imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mja)

Twin rooms aren't that uncommon are they? I've only looked at accommodation at a couple of uni's, but it seems there are quite a few twin rooms.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Generally no, but if you had a friend going there you could apply for the same accomodation place or share a room at some places etc.

<3

ReputationRep:
    You don't generally pick your housemates until second year if you move off campus.

I live off-campus since I didn't get halls for my first year. I have made six of the best friends I'm likely to ever have and three of them live down the road in another house and were all in the same position as me after results day. Yay for bus journeys on Freshers Week!

You can get really lucky like I have but sometimes you can be less lucky, its the luck of the draw really!

ReputationRep:
    I think twin rooms are more common than people realise- my mum, dad and brother had to share a room in their first years - my brother was not happy! Particularly as he'd spent his whole life sharing a room up to that point.

As for picking who you live with, I'd never heard that you were able to do that. Most unis ask you to fill in some sort of questionnaire I think so they can make a vague attempt to match like-minded people together.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.