Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle7017924.ece

This is a bit of a shock, any way of finding out if this applies to medicine? Newcastle and Nottingham are both mentioned in there.

ReputationRep:
    Surely this must be illegal. They shouldn't discriminate you for applying to a place saying you need BBB, which you can get, and then changing it to AAA, which you can't get, without you even knowing.

I also can't believe that the government are so keen to get more uni students yet unis are fined for taking on too many.

ReputationRep:
    =/

ReputationRep:

Yep, one university did that for medicine last year, I'm not sure which one though :erm: I was going to apply there, but once I saw they changed AAB to AAA, I decided not to apply
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Woody.)
    Surely this must be illegal. They shouldn't discriminate you for applying to a place saying you need BBB, which you can get, and then changing it to AAA, which you can't get, without you even knowing.

I also can't believe that the government are so keen to get more uni students yet unis are fined for taking on too many.
    It's not illegal - they have eversotiny small print at the very bottom of the page saying they're entitled to change the requirements at any time. And as for your last sentence... Couldn't have summed it up better. Hey, let's encourage more kids into higher education, drive the application numbers up, then cut places, funding and fine the universities!

(Original post by oreo)
    But this has happened after the deadline and we can't change our choices now :erm:
    The uni I was talking about changed it early October, about a week before the deadline and I believe lot of med applicants send their applications around September - so whoever was predicted AAB and applied to that uni before October is at disadvantage now that they've changed the entry requirement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeStudent)
    The uni I was talking about changed it early October, about a week before the deadline and I believe lot of med applicants send their applications around September - so whoever was predicted AAB and applied to that uni before October is at disadvantage now that they've changed the entry requirement
    probably Bham or UCL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeStudent)
    Yep, one university did that for medicine last year, I'm not sure which one though :erm: I was going to apply there, but once I saw they changed AAB to AAA, I decided not to apply
    Barts did it during my cycle.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't offers higher than the minimum required anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about medicine.. But I applied for Nursing at one uni and they bumped the grade up from CDD to BBC after I'd applied. It was going to be my insurance choice.. But got rejected straight out because I'm only predicted BCC. Completely unfair. But hey, they are legally allowed so there's no much we can do =/

It's the governments fault - grade inflation and all that jazz.

ReputationRep:
    one of my choices changed - on website it was BBC then after i submitted application and i got an offer and they want BBB now

although this isnt a big problem (and not a medicine course) but shows unis are def doing it

ReputationRep:
    happened to my friend for engineering at notts from ABB to AAB

ReputationRep:
    I applied to SGUL 4 and 5 yr (I'm a grad) and then got a message mid November saying they don't take grads on their 5yr anymore. I wouldn't have applied there to the 5yr had I not seen on their website that they accept grads. It was frustrating because that's one choice wasted, rubbish when you only get 4 choices anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Quite frankly, it makes bugger all difference to you.

If you applied with AAB you are still academically behind all the applicants with better, regardless of whether the university says it wants four As or two Cs.

If the university want you, despite your grades, they can and will make an exception.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.