Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well its one of the top non selective independant colleges around my area (west london). The fees are 9.7k a year, totalling up to a staggering 19.4k (A-level = 2 years) just for college!

This leaving me somewhat skeptical, i mean money isnt really an issue here but it leaves me questioning myself is it really worth it? just for college as im sure uni is more less or the same or even less.
    However then again i can sorta understand because A-lvls are the foundation for you go onto study later in uni.

So my question to you guys, TSR, is it really worth it? and if you, yourself attend a private college i'd like some input on (not boarding, mind you) what do additional things do they offer? the teaching? the teachers themselves?

EDIT: thought might aswell, the college name is ACORN college

ReputationRep:
    Do the research into the college, find out as much information as you can.
    What is their student:teacher ratio?
    What extra-curriculars are offered?
    Do the students achieve above-average results?
    etc., etc.
    Try to look up some state schools (or cheaper public ones) on par, offering the same. If there are none, then I think it's woth applying.

Myself, I attend a private school (though not in the UK), my parents pay high fees, but I can see the results: My grades improved, the school staff and fellow students are fantastic and I enjoy myself there as I wouldn't anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Take note of the type of students you want to be around. In honesty I don't see a huge difference between a state school and private school, other than you loose 10k's of money.

I go to Sixth Form in a comprehensive school in Durham, and there are 8 people in my year that have had offers from Oxford/Cambridge, and the majority of us are going to some of the top Uni's, whether it be York, Imperial College London, UCL, Birmingham, Bristol, Durham, Leeds etc etc.

All I'm gonna say is, don't give in to stereotypes. Although my state school is very good, have a look at the top ones in your area. Besides, Universities would be more impressed with a student at my state school with A*A*A* then a private school student with A*A*A* in my opinion, since you would have money spent on your education already.

But it is your choice in the end, so good luck!

/De-activates state school defense

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.