Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, that's a lot of food for thought. ****, gotta really consider what the OP said - he confirmed some latent fears I had about the place.

The ONLY thing that's making me consider applying there, is it's reputation.
    i.e. it'd look good on a CV.

(I already have a degree - trying to decide upon a uni for postgrad)

ReputationRep:
    For what it's worth, I too am a second year who can't stand this ******* place. From my experience most people seem to enjoy it, however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by volts)
    For what it's worth, I too am a second year who can't stand this fuking place. From my experience most people seem to enjoy it, however.
    Could you elaborate please? This sort of feedback can be very useful if it's detailed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marlowe92)
    Could you elaborate please? This sort of feedback can be very useful if it's detailed!
    Extremely cliqueish. Polarised student body. Social hierarchy based on Daddy's salary. Lousy library facilities (on saturday, the library closes earlier than Bean Scene cafe) and never enough books for oversubscribed courses. Accommodation outrageously overpriced, and students increasingly squeezed out due to high intake over past few years. Careers services non existent, unless you're interested in accountancy since the big four are the ones who do the majority of recruitment events here. Most americans go back to the states for graduate school/law school, most girls are only interested in hooking up with a rich boy (although with a fm ratio of 70-30....) and again, most kids rely on Daddy. The town itself is tiny with not much beyond the same student society events on offer, which feel repetitive after first year. FB makes it seem like a lots going on, but most people don't bother going. A lot of booze-y 'black tie' 'charity' events. Worse, the town is a pain to travel to and out off, which makes day/weekend trips difficult, unless you fancy going to Dundee...which isn't that much better.

This is just based on my experience and thoughts about st andrews - you're welcome to disagree if you've had a great experience but I think people ought to hear about the flipside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rodarte)
    I am a second year too, and I hate this place. It's a nice enough place for a semester abroad, being pretty and slightly different. But academically speaking it does not deserve it's reputation, particularly in the states where it's being marketed as 'just behind oxbridge'. But yes thank you for putting so eloquently everything that I dislike about St Andrews. I too, few duped by St Andrews.
    I'm considering going for 1 year, as a postgrad, to St Andrews.

I'm not sure if I could stick it for a 4 year degree, but 1 year as postgrad isn't too bad, right??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrimateJ)
    I'm considering going for 1 year, as a postgrad, to St Andrews.

I'm not sure if I could stick it for a 4 year degree, but 1 year as postgrad isn't too bad, right??
    You'll be fine for a year - it's quite pretty and there're some interesting traditions. But I wouldn't recommend staying any longer than that.

Incidentally, which department are you looking at? The management school doesn't have a great rep, st andrews is generally considered a lot stronger in the humanities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fg08)
    The OP sounds like someone who received a rejection and is now trying to **** off St Andrews in return Poor poor guy
    You sound like someone trying to deal with cognitive dissonance.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine for a year - it's quite pretty and there're some interesting traditions. But I wouldn't recommend staying any longer than that.

Incidentally, which department are you looking at? The management school doesn't have a great rep, st andrews is generally considered a lot stronger in the humanities.
    I was looking at the psychology department. It seems to have a good reputation.

Gonna read the rest of this thread before making a decision...jeez, it's a tough one. The main things attracting me to this place is its reputation and the fact that it's one of about 4 places that does Evolutionary Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrimateJ)
    I was looking at the psychology department. It seems to have a good reputation.

Gonna read the rest of this thread before making a decision...jeez, it's a tough one. The main things attracting me to this place is its reputation and the fact that it's one of about 4 places that does Evolutionary Psychology.
    I have never done a psychology module, so I can't comment, but it's quite a popular major. Personally I think the reputation is undeserved and due to some great marketing - but if it's one of the few places that specializes in an area you're interested in, definitely go for it. The teaching varies at each department - I've had one or two great professors, but by and large the teaching in my major is universally acknowledged to be atrocious. Thankfully for you I am not a psychology major! Also you will be a postgrad, so the level of supervision might be a lot better than at undergraduate level.

If you are coming up, invest in warm clothing and a pair of wellingtons. Don't bother with umbrellas, they are useless here.

ReputationRep:
    If you are coming up, invest in warm clothing and a pair of wellingtons. Don't bother with umbrellas, they are useless here.
    Wut?

Admittedly, wellies are ok.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest Rodarte - what DO you do here?

ReputationRep:
    st andrews is generally considered a lot stronger in the humanities.
    ehm, what about sciences? i thought that St.A was and is quite great in that field.

ReputationRep:
    Extremely cliqueish. Polarised student body. Social hierarchy based on Daddy's salary. Lousy library facilities (on saturday, the library closes earlier than Bean Scene cafe) and never enough books for oversubscribed courses. Accommodation outrageously overpriced, and students increasingly squeezed out due to high intake over past few years. Careers services non existent, unless you're interested in accountancy since the big four are the ones who do the majority of recruitment events here. Most americans go back to the states for graduate school/law school, most girls are only interested in hooking up with a rich boy (although with a fm ratio of 70-30....) and again, most kids rely on Daddy. The town itself is tiny with not much beyond the same student society events on offer, which feel repetitive after first year. FB makes it seem like a lots going on, but most people don't bother going. A lot of booze-y 'black tie' 'charity' events. Worse, the town is a pain to travel to and out off, which makes day/weekend trips difficult, unless you fancy going to Dundee...which isn't that much better.

This is just based on my experience and thoughts about st andrews - you're welcome to disagree if you've had a great experience but I think people ought to hear about the flipside.
    yeah, I agree with basically everything here.
    Add to that the ubiquity of people trying to break the guinness world record for saying the word 'like' the most times in a sentence.
    My lecturers are pretty good, though

ReputationRep:
    What's it like for postgrads?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    Wut?

Admittedly, wellies are ok.
    Wellies are not ok, they are a necessity! And well worth the investment considering how often you'll be using them.

@dragon500uk - that would be revealing a little too much, wouldn't it? I don't do physics though.

@nuuba - I don't have many friends in the science department so I can't say for sure, but I know St Andrews is generally more well known for its philosophy and IR department. In fact, I'm tempted to believe they invest all their money and resources in the IR dept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba)
    ehm, what about sciences? i thought that St.A was and is quite great in that field.
    It is The sciences here, and the lecturers are all very well thought of. All of the lecturers here are also research scientists, so it's really interesting to hear what they are working on, especially when it relates to the topics in lectures, it's like, wow! One of my lecturers last year was doing some ground breaking research on malaria for example. :yep:

But yeh, I do Biology, so I can't speak for the other sciences, but it is very highly regarded, and I can assure you that personally, I have found the lecturers of a very high standard, and always really helpful

ReputationRep:
    Wellies are not ok, they are a necessity! And well worth the investment considering how often you'll be using them.

@dragon500uk - that would be revealing a little too much, wouldn't it? I don't do physics though.

@nuuba - I don't have many friends in the science department so I can't say for sure, but I know St Andrews is generally more well known for its philosophy and IR department. In fact, I'm tempted to believe they invest all their money and resources in the IR dept.
    I don't think I even own wellies anymore, they're really not that important

Also, as for the sciences, chemistry and physics were their two highest ranking departments RAE-wise as I recall, but I could be slightly mistaken there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    You signed up today, and only have three posts.

It's obvious you're just a dupe (a second account) of the OP.

Nice try, though! :rolleyes:
    Hahaha X-D I actually hadn't logged on for a week and I see I've been accussed of pretending to be another person and agreeing with myself X-D....get this straight: I didn't write this because I wanted people to necessarily agree with me, just because I wanted to give my persepective and open up discussion which is what I've done, so deal with it- so agree or disagree, I couldn't care less. (As I've said several times)....but I'm not about to be accussed of pretending to agree with myself, thats just sad.

M_E_X get a life and stop worrying about people agreeing with me so much, O.K? Its allowed- several people have disagreed and been constructive or even said the liked the sound of what I said- thats also allowed, in fact it makes the whole discussion more interseting...I'm not as obsessed as you are so inventing another person isn't smething I would do....also enough people on here have agreed with em for me not to even need to do that! ....Unless you think I invented those user profiles as well?!

There's no need for personal attacks, here St Andrews is not your mother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    haha EPIC fail...
    Why would I need poeple to agree with me?! I couldn;t care less if they agree or not! They're all entitled to their own opinions! That sounds more like something you would do, you're the one who seems to be afraid of others' opinions. For your information, this is the first time I have logged in in a while, hence the fact that I've only just responded. I have to say, you guys are coming off really badly in this thread, you need to calm down. As I said, everyones entitled to their opinion and sevreal people have disagreed- have I accussed them all of being your proxies or somthing?! No! Because thats immature and stupid. Look at yourself, you're not doing yourself any favours by attacking me, it just makes you look even sadder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by volts)
    For what it's worth, I too am a second year who can't stand this ******* place. From my experience most people seem to enjoy it, however.
    Yo M_E_X and Sambo- is this person suppossedly me as well?! Or someone I've paid to come on here and agree with me?! X-D I love how reasonable all the poeple who've crticised St Andrews are being here versus how unreasonable its 'defenders' have been.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 10, 2018
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.