Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poet on the Rock)
    WARNING- Big post! If you’ve just read OP’s OP and have found a point that shocked you, I’ve tried to organise by argument, so it should be easier to find the response. I couldn’t be bothered getting all the quotes in the “quote” thing, but I promise I’ve cut and pasted without amendment. If you want to read the whole thing, go on…

OP, you're mistaking fact for opinion, and assuming everyone is like you. Features about St Andrew's you see as cons, others will see as pros. Thusly-

FACT: St Andrew’s is small.
    YOUR OPINION: This is “ridiculous and pathetic”
    MY OPINION: This creates a friendly atmosphere and close-nit student community. It was one of the factors that sold the place to me; I’m from a town of similar size and would hate living in a city.
    CONCLUSION: St Andrew’s is a small town. Don’t come to St Andrew’s if you don’t like small towns, do if you do. Duh.

FACT: St Andrew's does not have any clubs. (Actually incorrect in the strictest sense but I'll let it stand for now)
    YOUR OPINION: This means St Andrews is a boring place and people won't like it.
    MY OPINION: Nobody's going to force me to pay an extortionate amount of money so I can stand in a cramped and noisy room and feel awkward and self-conscious because I can’t dance. Brilliant!
    CONCLUSION: St Andrew's is a bad place for people who like clubs, a good place for people who don't!

FACT: St Andrew's does not have a shopping centre.
    YOUR OPINION: No shopping centre is a terrible, terrible, dark and evil thing.
    MY OPINION: St Andrew's doesn't need a shopping centre, and neither do I. I can’t think of a single occasion I’ve wanted something I can’t buy in the shops on the high-street. Groceries, cake, clothes, climbing magazines, a new ink cartridge. My needs are fulfilled.
    CONCLUSION: St Andrew’s is a bad place for people who view shopping as their essential pass-time, hobby, form of exercise and raison d’être, but fine for people who view shopping as a way of getting stuff.

Now let’s consider where opinion differs from fact:

YOUR OPINION: Coming to St Andrews was “A colossal mistake.”
    MY OPINION: Coming to St Andrews was the best decision I ever made!
    FACT: Universities are different. People are different. If you don’t take time to pick the right one for you, you will regret it. St Andrew’s, like anywhere else, is not for everybody, some will thrive here, a few will wither. The fact St Andrew’s has the lowest drop-out rate of any UK university, and the highest rating of student satisfaction anywhere though, would suggest most people pick more carefully than you.

YOUR OPINION: “Tutorial sessions are redundant and useless.”
    MY OPINION: Tutorial sessions are challenging and enjoyable. I’m an English Lit student, and our tutorials revolve around discussing the book we read that week, so yes, we need to do the reading. If you don’t want to do the reading, why the hell are you at Uni at all? My tutor is an incredibly intelligent, engaging and experienced lecturer who has experience of teaching at Oxbridge, Kings and abroad, and the people in my group are all keen and talkative. I’ve found myself putting in loads of extra reading to try and compete with them, and I’m pretty sure they’re doing the same for me.
    FACT: Tutorials can be utterly brilliant, utterly dismal and anywhere in between. Some of it depends on the tutor you get, there just aren’t enough lecturers to go around 200+ undergrads in a week, but far more important is your attitude and approach. If you view the system as pointless, you won’t try and you won’t get anything out of it. Good lesson for life there, actually!

YOUR OPINION: “O.K, academically, the university has a very strong reputation which in my opinion, isn't entirely justified”
    FACT: Google “University rankings 2010” and hit the first option (http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...rsityguide.php) we get 4th. In the second 5th, in the third we get 3rd. That’s pretty good honeybunch. I know the league tables aren’t perfect, but they’re a pretty good indicator. It might not be the best, but you can’t deny it’s up there.
    MY OPINION: You’ve decided you don’t like St Andrews and though having an uninformed stab at its academic reputation would add to the persuasive power of your argument.

YOUR OPINION: “there is no 'centre' to escape to, and So little to do its incredibly claustrophobic.”
    MY OPINION: There is no centre to escape from, and so much to do I am constantly busy. You’re bored because you like clubbing and shopping and (for reasons best that I’m sure make sense to you) came to a university with friendly pubs instead of clubs and beautiful architecture instead of soulless and sprawling consumerist hell-holes. I’m not bored because I’ve got involved in the opportunities this University offers, doing creative and fun stuff with some cool people and stopped whinging for long enough to see there’s actually loads going on.

A look at my organiser for March, to see what I’ve been up to: the 1st, class reps forum with Rector and Deans, the 2nd climbing trip with friends, 3rd, debate on secularism in Lower Parliament Hall, 5th house-party for friend’s birthday, 6th Grill a Christian event as part of White Wash Week, 8th, a meeting of the Mountaineering Soc committee, 10th, trip to Edinburgh with the Mountaineering Soc, 12th- 14th trip to Sheffield to compete in BUSA, paid for by the AU, 16th theatre trip to see Julius Caesar in the Union, 17th debate again, 18th campaigning for student elections, 19th sporting competition (again, all expenses paid, but unfortunately missing a string orchestra in LPH I really wanted to see…) 20th night at theatre to see a riveting production of “Who’s afraid of Virginia Woolf” by a bunch of students receiving support from the Mermaids... And that’s only the stuff I considered worthy of writing down; add in pub trips, training with the mountaineers, time with the GF, studying with friends, pier walking in my gown, creative writing with an informal group in our hall, flaming people on TSR and I’ve hardly had time to breathe. You must walk round with your eyes closed, our notice board in halls is an inch thick with flyers and posters for stuff to get involved in, how narrow-minded to you have to be to start whinging about having to get a taxi instead of a bus when you want to get smashed in a club? I betting there's something for pretty much everyone here if you look. Has OP tried the Lumsden club? “Even attempting to have fun is hard work here.”?! It depends on your definition of “fun” sweetcheeks, not to mention how blindly resolute you are on maintaining a fashionable ennui…
    FACT: Uni is what you make of it; fun does not equal clubbing alone, St Andrew's has a wide range of stuff to get involved in. It can't be blamed if you don't get involved in it.

YOUR OPINION: “Most significantly I have found three people…all say the same thing”
    MY OPINION: If the best you can do is to find three people who don’t like St Andrew’s you’re not proving anything, particularly as they are all from London and going through the same culture shock as you. London is a massive city in Southern England; St Andrew’s is a small University town in Scotland. They’re possibly the two most opposite places in the UK. We haven’t got any gun crime, gangs, congestion or pollution for a start…

Look people, basically St Andrew's is St Andrew's, and that isn't changing. Pick your Uni carefully, nothing can please everybody - if the OP's vision of a perfect St Andrew's was the reality then I wouldn't be here. The fact remains that you've been a little overly critical of what, for most, is an enjoyable and educative experience. After only a Semester and a half I feel I've learnt loads, trained hard, partied hard with some awesome people and been to some amazing places I wouldn't have otherwise got to see. My St Andrew's is a happy and enjoyable place, and I'm sorry your's is not, but please don’t be arrogant enough to assume because you don’t like something it must be rubbish, or people might just listen to you and miss out on something amazing.

EDIT- If you've just read this and thought "My God, he sounds like a massive nerd, I'm not going there!" then don't worry, everyone around me has come to the same conclusion, we're not all nerds. I can promise there's more to St Andrew's than sport, debating, gowns and Societies, it's just those are the bits I like! I might be a nerd, but I can promise I'm a happy one! Oh, hall food does suck though, that bit's true.
    Brilliant post!

Nerds unite! Booyah! *giggle snort*

Move to self catered, the bacon and mushroom pasta i just had was well yummy.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this has really put me off applying. I haven't been there in years(going tomorrow for the open day though) but I didn't think it was that empty. I'm definitely not gonna be stuck in a dead end town for the next 5 years of my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enzo-259)
    Wow, this has really put me off applying. I haven't been there in years(going tomorrow for the open day though) but I didn't think it was that empty. I'm definitely not gonna be stuck in a dead end town for the next 5 years of my life.
    :rolleyes:

Have you read any of the other posts in this thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    :rolleyes:

Have you read any of the other posts in this thread?
    No... :p:

But there's 13 pages!

ReputationRep:
    I cant even be bothered answering the posts on this thread any more.

It's not empty. It's not a dead end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enzo-259)
    **** off then, and let one of the several other applicants for your place come here instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Real Deep)
    **** off then, and let one of the several other applicants for your place come here instead.
    Aww, boohoo. Did someone slate your little town?

ReputationRep:
    I love it here. Ignore the OP and find out yourself. It's got a great friendly atmosphere, it all depends on who your friends are. If you're the type of person who isolates themselves, then maybe you'll be bored. Get out and meet people, and you'll find a group of people like you. Once that happens, you'll have a great time.

ReputationRep:
    Ok. It may sound rather implausible but I went through all study-related topics of the forum of St. Andrews to make sure it is a place for me. It took me few days, but was certainly worth it! :rolleyes: I would like to thank OP, because without this topic I'd probably never have found so many great things about St. A before going there. Now I really can't wait for my offer. (fingers crossed, please).:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    He was my lecturer for astronomy last semester, I don't know how renowned he is. I was really interested to see who the other guy thought was "world renowned", if he even came here to study physics.

Of course you're allowed to say what you want . I think what's become apparent through the course of this thread is that your shocking lack of research in to a place you planned to spend 4+ years of your life at has come back to bite you.
    http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk//physics...o.php?its=ag71

It was this guy, apologies for the hyperbole regarding his status in the academic community. He had an English accent. My advisor was KT Tunstall's stepfather before he left at the end of my first year. They have free papers in the lounge at the entrance to the Physics building. I was in David Russell Hall before they flattened it, then the Regs annex top right front. You believe me now? lol

To the other guy thinking of leaving: Talk to your supervisor or even the support staff, my mistake was not talking to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    There's ways of looking at things and ways of looking at them. A good time is a good time, if you're having it. You could decry the house-party culture in St. Andrews easily enough, but I don't see how those comments have any more base than if I said that anyone who enjoys London's rapey club scene is kind of dead inside, with no real appreciation for life. I don't much believe that, but I know I'm glad I don't spend much time in London.

-QW

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by M_E_X
    St Andrews places 2nd in the RAE (research assessment exercise, the most important assessment of research quality in the UK) for physics this year. I'm a physics student so I'll just deal with physics and astronomy. We have the largest optical telescope in the UK, as well as one of the best places to observe (because of the low amounts of light pollution). We have some of the best optics research in the UK. We are world-leaders in LEP (light emitting plastics) used in skin-cancer treatment. St Andrews may be a mostly arts university - I'm not sure if this is true or not but I'll take you on your word - but the science departments are still world class. Look at the RAE.
    Sorry about my english language, but can you explain me about level of courses about physics and if you know something about join honors in Computer Science and physics or about Computational Physics.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musca-n lapte)
    Sorry about my english language, but can you explain me about level of courses about physics and if you know something about join honors in Computer Science and physics or about Computational Physics.

Thanks in advance!
    Hi,

Yes both of those things are possible. I don't do either of them, but they should be possible.

You can basically do first year or second year entry, depending on your qualifications. First year entry = 5 year masters course. Second year entry = 4 year masters course.

ReputationRep:
    thank,for promptitude,
    and about level of academic course in physics?,i make some research to see if your uni is the proper place for my sun that*mind academic level,social life,student comunity,,etc and the open day for us is realy impossibile to reach,so i realy apreciate your help

ReputationRep:
    thank,for promptitude,
    and about level of academic course in physics?,i make some research to see if your uni is the proper place for my sun that*mind academic level,social life,student comunity,,etc and the open day for us is realy impossibile to reach,so i realy apreciate your help
    You should definitely try to visit! It's impossible to choose somewhere to spend 4-5 years without visiting once...

ReputationRep:
    thank,for promptitude,
    Even if you can't get to an open day you should definitely try and visit the town. It's not for everyone, hence this thread existing, so it would be better to go to the expense of visiting and making sure you're happy here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    You should definitely try to visit! It's impossible to choose somewhere to spend 4-5 years without visiting once...
    theoretically correct, virtually impossible ,so the same risk of error

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JB Johnstone)
    Even if you can't get to an open day you should definitely try and visit the town. It's not for everyone, hence this thread existing, so it would be better to go to the expense of visiting and making sure you're happy here.
    this is really a signal that thread, but coming from another culture where there is not really the 'Open Day''felt it would be relevant to visit? do you think is enough?how to measure happiness

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I will commencing a Foundation Year at the University of Bath this coming September and the course structure is such that it allows me the flexibility to apply to other Uni's for Sept 2011 entry.

I have firmly settled on reading Economics and wish to take this with German. St Andrews is the only insititution that will allow this combination with a limited background in the foreign language.

As a mature student I have exhausted my desire to get messy on a regular and genuinely want to immerse myself head-first into a rigourous challenge - In your opinion, is St Andrews actually as prestigious - academically - as the papers say?
    As individuals studying there do you feel you are getting the level of interaction with staff and the feedback to make a thorough progression on your course? Are the lecturers predominantly Scottish?
    Anybody studying economics who can give me an overview of CastleCliffe would be much appreciated.

I've always been fond of Scotland, particuarly the Highlands. Are there clubs/socs that host regular excursions into the wilderness (hiking/camping) for mixed ability participants?

And finally, I appreciate the city itself is as large as it requires to be to support its occupants, however is it possible to get lost in? I use the word 'lost' here favourably, meaning if the close-knit community becomes claustraphobically insular, is it possible to escape for a while to collect your thoughts? Is it possible to be an unknown face, or does everybody know your business? Im quite a private individual, highly sociable, but not overly keen on cliques therefore the need for my own space is paramount.

Apologies for the long post and thanks in advance for your replies.

Anthony

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onedayIwillstray)
    Hello all,

I will commencing a Foundation Year at the University of Bath this coming September and the course structure is such that it allows me the flexibility to apply to other Uni's for Sept 2011 entry.

I have firmly settled on reading Economics and wish to take this with German. St Andrews is the only insititution that will allow this combination with a limited background in the foreign language.

As a mature student I have exhausted my desire to get messy on a regular and genuinely want to immerse myself head-first into a rigourous challenge - In your opinion, is St Andrews actually as prestigious - academically - as the papers say?
    As individuals studying there do you feel you are getting the level of interaction with staff and the feedback to make a thorough progression on your course? Are the lecturers predominantly Scottish?
    Anybody studying economics who can give me an overview of CastleCliffe would be much appreciated.

I've always been fond of Scotland, particuarly the Highlands. Are there clubs/socs that host regular excursions into the wilderness (hiking/camping) for mixed ability participants?

And finally, I appreciate the city itself is as large as it requires to be to support its occupants, however is it possible to get lost in? I use the word 'lost' here favourably, meaning if the close-knit community becomes claustraphobically insular, is it possible to escape for a while to collect your thoughts? Is it possible to be an unknown face, or does everybody know your business? Im quite a private individual, highly sociable, but not overly keen on cliques therefore the need for my own space is paramount.

Apologies for the long post and thanks in advance for your replies.

Anthony
    I'll let the usual suspects debate how academically prestigious it is (and wether thats even something to worry about).

Less than 50% of the lecturers are scottish in my experience (not arts faculty though).

Yes there are many such societies.

And finally yes it is very easy to disappear off and 'get lost'. I've never had any problems doing so.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 10, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.