Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who.the.heck)
    It's controversial?

No its one guys whiney rant when he realised he should have read the prospectus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob247)
    Just how cliquey is it? :/ And how are the cliques divided into?

And as a general question how is it for people who don't drink? Or for muslims in general?
    Both fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magma828)
    why does this topic keep getting dragged up.. -.-
    People get pissed off when a new post is made when there is already an older topic but when you try to get clarification in said old topic they're still irritated. :/

You just can't win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunsetRising)
    Both fine
    Cheers, so that poster was just having a very PMS-y moment?

(Original post by Anterior view)
    I dont care what anyone says Im still applying
    Dude, that post of mine is so old I'd forgotten I even wrote it

Best of luck with your application though

ReputationRep:
    I've lived near St Andrews and went to school there all my life. I know for a fact the University is one of the Best in Britain and Europe for their courses. The fact that it is a historic town adds to the value, a mini edinburgh I like to think of. Night life in Dundee is good, Edinburgh is a 1 hour train journey away. St Andrews itself has a nice close knit feel to it being a small town. Take advantage of that and use the facilities for night life in the surrounding area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragon500uk)
    No its one guys whiney rant when he realised he should have read the prospectus.
    I know...I was joking. :/

ReputationRep:
    was going to apply to st andrews over edinburgh for medicine this year, but this has really made me think twice.

though i do remember someone telling me that, because theres no nightlife, theres always house parties on? though as folk have said its cliquey so maybe it just depends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingme)
    was going to apply to st andrews over edinburgh for medicine this year, but this has really made me think twice.

though i do remember someone telling me that, because theres no nightlife, theres always house parties on? though as folk have said its cliquey so maybe it just depends.
    Go look at St Andrews, the Uni itself is fantastic and as i stated earlier the main "nightlife" is in the city of Dundee seriously just 8 miles away , thats a £2 bus ticket! not only that but you have acess to Dundee's student union over there AND the nightlife. Busses to and from St andrews to Dundee are every half an hour. So if your put off by the lack of nightlife then you obviously haven't done your research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesman13)
    i just read through the entire of this thread, its epic
    You ain't kidding.

I read the entire link.

Anyway, I love the town. I visited St. Andrews and I ****ing love the place. I'm not into clubbing or going out every single day so that's why I think I love it. I also love the fact that it's just beside the sea :love: You know...stress out with work, **** up lecturers, relationship issues, yada yada, so the solution is, no matter how cliche it sounds; just walk to the nearest beach and just let the problems leave you. Well that's the ideal world for me

I was about to apply to St. Andrews for some grad work. Maybe I'll consider it in future. But I don't know. Need to revisit the department first, look 'physically' the accommodation, and future supervisors. If the supervisors are one pompous ****ed up people, expecting me to have the brain of Albert Einstein, then I won't apply. Made that mistake and won't make it again. Hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    You ain't kidding.

I read the entire link. What a loser :rolleyes:

Anyway, I love the town. I visited St. Andrews and I ****ing love the place. I'm not into clubbing or going out every single day so that's why I think I love it. I also love the fact that it's just beside the sea :love: You know...stress out with work, **** up lecturers, relationship issues, yada yada, so the solution is, no matter how cliche it sounds; just walk to the nearest beach and just let the problems leave you. Well that's the ideal world for me

I was about to apply to St. Andrews for some grad work. Maybe I'll consider it in future. But I don't know. Need to revisit the department first, look 'physically' the accommodation, and future supervisors. If the supervisors are one pompous ****ed up people, expecting me to have the brain of Albert Einstein, then I won't apply. Made that mistake and won't make it again. Hopefully.
    What's your degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragon500uk)
    What's your degree?
    currently or in the near future?

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like heaven for me (except the careers thing). I've spent my entire life living in the country or near the sea and I don't want to live in a city with lots of hustle and bustle, that's my idea of hell! :rolleyes: I enjoy being in small towns with character and enjoying nature. Clubbing isn't really my scene, I'd rather go out during the day. And as someone mentioned earlier, if I get bored I could jump on the train to Edinburgh!

The point I'm making is that one persons negative is another persons positive. OP should have read the prospectus properly and visited the town so he knew what he was letting himself in for. No sympathy.

ReputationRep:

its not cliquey, complete bollox. there are house parties depending on how many friends you have - if you have a lot youre always gonna get asked if u wanna come along to one, if you only have a small group of friends you wont go to many.

its really not that dull here nor is it that exciting, but you dont do medicine at st andrews expecting to be able to devote 100% to your social life anyway so it shouldnt matter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Hobbit)
    That sounds like heaven for me (except the careers thing). I've spent my entire life living in the country or near the sea and I don't want to live in a city with lots of hustle and bustle, that's my idea of hell! :rolleyes: I enjoy being in small towns with character and enjoying nature. Clubbing isn't really my scene, I'd rather go out during the day. And as someone mentioned earlier, if I get bored I could jump on the train to Edinburgh!
    You're my kinda person.

OP should have read the prospectus properly and visited the town so he knew what he was letting himself in for. No sympathy.
    Hurm....maybe the OP couldn't afford the transportation going there? Who knows? Some students rely heavily on scholarship money or grants in order to go to certain place. I know I do. It would be ideal if he/she could go there though. I completely agree on that part.

If I were reading the post when I'm 18-20, I would not have sided with the OP and probably criticized him/her for the lack of effort on researching things. But at this stage of my life, I see it as not everything is all black or white, straight line or the saying if you put you mind into it you could do it. Sometimes, though try as hard as you can, sometimes you just need to be realistic on certain things and unfortunately luck can not be on your side, most of the time.

Make sense? Hope it does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    You're my kinda person.

Hurm....maybe the OP couldn't afford the transportation going there? Who knows? Some students rely heavily on scholarship money or grants in order to go to certain place. I know I do. It would be ideal if he/she could go there though. I completely agree on that part.

If I were reading the post when I'm 18-20, I would not have sided with the OP and probably criticized him/her for the lack of effort on researching things. But at this stage of my life, I see it as not everything is all black or white, straight line or the saying if you put you mind into it you could do it. Sometimes, though try as hard as you can, sometimes you just need to be realistic on certain things and unfortunately luck can not be on your side, most of the time.

Make sense? Hope it does.
    Yeah it does make sense I am 20, maybe I just need some more life experience :P On second thought I do agree with you about visiting the university, it's impractical and very difficult for some people, I was being a bit narrow minded there

In saying that, I still think that doing your research is a must and can optimise chances of ending up at a course you'll like. A quick google search revealed similar things to the OPs post, although most people said they were positive aspects of St Andrews. I guess I just think researching this sort of thing is so important, that's 4 years of your life so not doing your reading is a big risk =/

I suppose it could have been bad luck, but I reckon it could have been avoided... just different opinions I guess

ReputationRep:
    But I like castles and rabbits and beaches...

Gone are the days when pretending to be in I Capture the Castle was seen as fun...alas. I'm not a big drinker and I'm not a fan of nightclubbing. I've always wanted to go to a smaller uni as opposed to a huge one. This thread has actually made me want to go to St Andrew's even more now. Unlikely to get in though, my PS is totally pharmacy-focussed. :lol: Plus, Edinburgh's only a small trip away by train, so it's not like my life will be horrendously dull. Want to get lots of use out of this here railcard of mine.

ReputationRep:

there is plenty to do in st andrews

ReputationRep:
    I've lived here almost my whole life and I love it here, I'm also applying to the University. Don't be put off by what's being said. True, it's not for everyone, but give it a visit before you decide not to apply.

ReputationRep:
    About 1/5 of OP's rant was about dissatisfaction with the quality of teaching and support while the other massive part was about something that the university has no control over.

maybe this sentiment is buried among the hundreds of other replies but .. I don't see how you can knock a university because of the lack of nightlife nearby or that there isn't a shopping centre in the town - last time I checked, universities specialize in academic pursuits not drinking establishments and shoe shops for you.

If getting smashed on frequent nights out and going shopping all the time is what's important to you then you should have applied to some crap university in a major city...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.