Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    I regret picking St Andrews for my summer school. Should have picked Edinburgh :/
    What makes you think that?
    I have been there last summer and I was impressed.It cannot be better than StA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trubadur)
    What makes you think that?
    I have been there last summer and I was impressed.It cannot be better than StA
    What OP said :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    What OP said :/
    Your choice was the best one.I am sure you'll enjoy your time at StA:excited:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gos123)
    This post is 5 years old.
    Stop bringing it up.
    It contains issues that are still relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orlrighty)
    It contains issues that are still relevant.
    Maybe however the validity of what OP said has diminished significantly.

if you wanna summarise it in a nutshell.
    Don't go to St A if you want a buzzing nightlife.
    It's a quiet quaint and quirky place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gos123)
    Maybe however the validity of what OP said has diminished significantly.

if you wanna summarise it in a nutshell.
    Don't go to St A if you want a buzzing nightlife.
    It's a quiet quaint and quirky place.
    Sounds better:yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blitzkrieg15)
    IMO, the UK rankings died the day student satisfaction replaced teaching quality assessments. St Andrews is top 10 for prestige, but not top 10 when teaching and research are given equal weighting. Would be close to a top 10 though, around top 15.

source

You keep on insisting that St Andrews did poorly in the rankings before the introduction of student satisfaction, but you are wrong.
    From your posts it seems that you aren't even a prospective or current student of St Andrews so I fail to understand why you care so much about St Andrews.

Enjoy your time at Royal Holloway though,
    It's a much much better university than St Andrews :clap2:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Capricancer)
    source

You keep on insisting that St Andrews did poorly in the rankings before the introduction of student satisfaction, but you are wrong.
    From your posts it seems that you aren't even a prospective or current student of St Andrews so I fail to understand why you care so much about St Andrews.

Enjoy your time at Royal Holloway though,
    It's a much much better university than St Andrews :clap2:
    2007 rankings show St Andrews came 26th. Interesting that Nottingham was harder to get into than Durham in 1999. They need to get back to those heights.

I haven't even accepted the MSc at Royal Holloway yet, so a bit premature to crow over that St Andrews is better. Degrees awarded by the UoL carry a prestige and mark of quality that even Oxbridge place in higher regard than most top universities.

St Andrews is prestigious for being old, and having a tradition for drawing in rich kids from wealthy families. The high UK ranking only confirms it may offer a better teaching experience with smaller class sizes in lecture. It does not mean St Andrews is better than Leeds or Birmingham or Glasgow, all of whom are much more prominent as research intensive universities, and part of the elite Russell Group.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't even accepted the MSc at Royal Holloway yet, so a bit premature to crow over that St Andrews is better. Degrees awarded by the UoL carry a prestige and mark of quality that even Oxbridge place in higher regard than most top universities.

Nah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    Nah.
    It is a fact, many UoL graduates (Birkbeck, Royal Holloway, Kings) get places on postgraduate courses at Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    2007 rankings show St Andrews came 26th. Interesting that Nottingham was harder to get into than Durham in 1999. They need to get back to those heights.

St Andrews is prestigious for being old, and having a tradition for drawing in rich kids from wealthy families. The high UK ranking only confirms it may offer a better teaching experience with smaller class sizes in lecture. It does not mean St Andrews is better than Leeds or Birmingham or Glasgow, all of whom are much more prominent as research intensive universities, and part of the elite Russell Group.

Get out of here - you're a Notts alumni and a biased troller.

St A is an establishment university with many famous alumni. Leeds or Birmingham or Glasgow or Notts have no famous alumni and are all 2nd tier stuff. You're competing with the UEAs, Surreys and Lboros of the world and soon they will overtake you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrkl)
    Get out of here - you're a Notts alumni and a biased troller.

St A is an establishment university with many famous alumni. Leeds or Birmingham or Glasgow or Notts have no famous alumni and are all 2nd tier stuff. You're competing with the UEAs, Surreys and Lboros of the world and soon they will overtake you
    Get out yourself, you are wrong, wrong, and wrong again. If you had read my other posts on various threads, I speak highly of Edinburgh, Warwick, UCL, Bath, and not just Nottingham.

When the likes of UEA and Surrey get an average tariff entry of AABB, and enter the World top 100 in any of the 3 major World rankings (QS, THE, ARWU), then we can talk about them being Russell Group material. Until then, stop dissing Nottingham, a World top 100 university, and a top 2 target university for the top 100 graduate employers.

ReputationRep:
    It is a fact, many UoL graduates (Birkbeck, Royal Holloway, Kings) get places on postgraduate courses at Oxbridge.
    Uh, that doesn't show anything. For one, postgrad courses are mostly a bit of a money spinner, and getting people on them doesn't mean that course is held in high regard at all. And no academics (I know plenty) think of UoL as a thing. They look at the specific uni within UoL.

The Russell Group is our ''Ivy League'' in terms of brand and quality, that is why Durham joined, and why Bath is lobbying to join.
    Perhaps a more apt comparison than you intended, what with the ivy league being a sporting group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    Uh, that doesn't show anything. For one, postgrad courses are mostly a bit of a money spinner, and getting people on them doesn't mean that course is held in high regard at all. And no academics (I know plenty) think of UoL as a thing. They look at the specific uni within UoL.

Perhaps a more apt comparison than you intended, what with the ivy league being a sporting group.

Seldom remembered, usually by those upset by the implications. The brand represents the quality of the universities.

ReputationRep:
    The last page of posts are getting petty and silly. They are all good universities in their own way. Only Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE and UCL carry any real prestige.

Back to the thread title, just what is St Andrews like in 2015? Do they have a night club yet in the SU? What are the girls like (in a mature sense)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theriverboatsong)
    What are the girls like (in a mature sense)?
    We are well, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theriverboatsong)
    Back to the thread title, just what is St Andrews like in 2015? Do they have a night club yet in the SU?
    Redev on "Club 601" as they're calling it isn't finished yet but should be done for the start of next academic year. They've finished main bar, Beacon Bar (old venue 2) and Sandy's bar (old games room) though, and they're all pretty nice, although I personally think there isn't enough seating in main bar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la_banane_verte)
    Redev on "Club 601" as they're calling it isn't finished yet but should be done for the start of next academic year. They've finished main bar, Beacon Bar (old venue 2) and Sandy's bar (old games room) though, and they're all pretty nice, although I personally think there isn't enough seating in main bar.
    There is a lot more room for societies at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've had to remove a lot of posts from this thread recently because they're off-topic or have been offensive. Please try to keep the thread on topic- i.e. a discussion of life at St Andrews University, rather than arguing about the status/prestige of other universities. Also, remember, if you think a poster is trolling, please use the report function, rather than engaging with the poster on the thread, as this often causes arguments.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:

No matter where you end up, I hope you have an amazing time!
    Just as a note, the main reason for St Andrews not being part of the RG is that it is too small a university to have a high output of research- the research it does do is very highly regarded, much of it internationally renowned. Whilst there is the whole stereotype here, I've encountered very little of the 'rich kid' crowd, apart from the KK club once or twice, and a small group of ***** in my hall- but the other 200-odd in my hall are all down to earth, lovely human beings i can't say much about anywhere else, so this is a bit one-sided I'm afraid!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.