Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrkl)
    THES is THES, the other one looks bogus.

The 20,000 number is also false THES world ranks are out of 400.

Face it Notts is a post war non - traditional uni which is currently outside the local top 20 and world top 100. Improve yourself, stop trying to hype yourselves out of it - it will make it worse .
    Nottingham is a top 10 UK university for research power, and World top 70 according to QS. Which of course points to a pretty good university. They also have nice overseas campuses, making it a global research university. They could have kept their very superficial prestige by keeping students numbers small and focusing on maintaining a top 10 UK ranking, but ultimately they would have stood still and not made any progress as a global brand.

Apologies to all for deviating from the original thread topic, I just wanted to shut up mrkl and his crusade against Nottingham, one of the more prestigious universities in the elite Russell Group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carlbenz)
    I can totally confirm that. The teaching quality is horrible compared to where I have studied so far (South Korea, Germany, USA). Professors don't seem to give a single f*ck on their students and just want to have as less work as possible. The organization is terrible, classes were always one lecture behind, and you cannot really rely on your timetable because lectures get changed almost every two weeks. Additionally, which makes you feel even worse, is that you receive emails from the university informing you that again a student commited, which happens every month on average. In an official statement the university denies that those suicidal deaths can be related to university... Fortunately, I'm just here for one year doing my masters degree, I will never come back to this place!
    Stay away from that university!!!
    Is it actually suicide killing St Andrews students? I did my undergraduate four year degree at Surrey and I think there were only about two suicides in the entire four years, which is pretty good for a university of that size. Now I am doing one semester as a doctorate student at St Andrews and it does seem like a student here passes away every month. Given that this is a tiny university this is really surprising.

And yeah, the quality of teaching at St Andrews has a few issues but on the whole it is acceptable in my opinion. They do seem to change the timetable at will, which I find annoying. The town centre literally has nothing, but is packed full of people all the time. It is literally the worse place ever. I wouldn't mind a town lacking interesting shops so long as it wasn't crowded. But thick crowds you have to fight through to do your shopping and limited choice of shops really ruins the experience.

I remember at Surrey everyone partook in societies and clubs and there was always something on at the university. St Andrews is different. It prides itself in its societies, but for the most part they seem shunned by students. And around the university itself there might only be a few interesting events per semester. Most of the other time this place is dreich as hell.

On the plus side though, St Andrews has small departments and so you see familiar faces in lectures all the time and the lecturers communicate with each other better.

But no, I would have never done my undergraduate here. No a cat in hell's chance. This place has no energy, no excitement, no quality of life. If you're into history, culture, and golf then maybe you could find home here, but for me I just wish to leave. This view does seem to be shared by the majority of other students from what I can see. Good thing I'll be gone in another month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyhofi)
    Is it actually suicide killing St Andrews students? I did my undergraduate four year degree at Surrey and I think there were only about two suicides in the entire four years, which is pretty good for a university of that size. Now I am doing one semester as a doctorate student at St Andrews and it does seem like a student here passes away every month. Given that this is a tiny university this is really surprising.

And yeah, the quality of teaching at St Andrews has a few issues but on the whole it is acceptable in my opinion. They do seem to change the timetable at will, which I find annoying. The town centre literally has nothing, but is packed full of people all the time. It is literally the worse place ever. I wouldn't mind a town lacking interesting shops so long as it wasn't crowded. But thick crowds you have to fight through to do your shopping and limited choice of shops really ruins the experience.

I remember at Surrey everyone partook in societies and clubs and there was always something on at the university. St Andrews is different. It prides itself in its societies, but for the most part they seem shunned by students. And around the university itself there might only be a few interesting events per semester. Most of the other time this place is dreich as hell.

On the plus side though, St Andrews has small departments and so you see familiar faces in lectures all the time and the lecturers communicate with each other better.

But no, I would have never done my undergraduate here. No a cat in hell's chance. This place has no energy, no excitement, no quality of life. If you're into history, culture, and golf then maybe you could find home here, but for me I just wish to leave. This view does seem to be shared by the majority of other students from what I can see. Good thing I'll be gone in another month.
    I believe Prince William also considered leaving St Andrews? And it is rumoured that Kate Middleton only ditched her offer at Edinburgh in favour of St Andrews because of William. All of a sudden, this place doesn't sound so glamorous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King of the Ring)
    I believe Prince William also considered leaving St Andrews? And it is rumoured that Kate Middleton only ditched her offer at Edinburgh in favour of St Andrews because of William. All of a sudden, this place doesn't sound so glamorous.
    To be fair, I get the feeling up here that the prestige comes from the age of the establishment rather than the royal links.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyhofi)
    To be fair, I get the feeling up here that the prestige comes from the age of the establishment rather than the royal links.
    Given that the university is old, it should be respected. But it isn't World famous like Oxbridge or Harvard, or even Edinburgh.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by mrkl)
    THES is THES, the other one looks bogus.

The 20,000 number is also false THES world ranks are out of 400.

Face it Notts is a post war non - traditional uni which is currently outside the local top 20 and world top 100. Improve yourself, stop trying to hype yourselves out of it - it will make it worse .
    I really don't care about Notts, I have no affiliation to it whatsoever.

I don't know what you mean by "THES is THES"? QS is not bogus, as I said, up until 2009 THE and Quacquarelli Symonds jointly published world rankings, and in 2010 they started to publish independently of each other (see wikipedia). QS is well respected, and St Andrews uses their ranking in QS in the prospectus.

20,000 is not false in the context I used it. There are in fact 20,000 (approx) higher education institutions in the world - THE only publishes ranks for those they consider to be the top 800. It doesn't stop the others from existing, for example University of Cumbria is clearly an HE institution, but does not feature in the published ranks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carlbenz)
    I can totally confirm that. The teaching quality is horrible compared to where I have studied so far (South Korea, Germany, USA). Professors don't seem to give a single f*ck on their students and just want to have as less work as possible. The organization is terrible, classes were always one lecture behind, and you cannot really rely on your timetable because lectures get changed almost every two weeks. Additionally, which makes you feel even worse, is that you receive emails from the university informing you that again a student commited, which happens every month on average. In an official statement the university denies that those suicidal deaths can be related to university... Fortunately, I'm just here for one year doing my masters degree, I will never come back to this place!
    Stay away from that university!!!
    I can't compare to those places but compared to Canada, St Andrews teaching is much better. I studied in the School of Medicine (which does have possibly a unique mandate and a different way of teaching) but in my opinion the organization is excellent, the professors really cared because they were predominately teaching rather than doing research.

In Medicine, we use Galen which is literally the absolute best thing ever invented. Compared to the comparable software I use in Canada, its nowhere near. My current software logs me out constantly, has so many bugs and is slow and laggy. The organization at St Andrews was perfect and on point. I cannot praise it enough, you really don't know what you have until its gone is what I have to say regarding St Andrews.

I'll be honest, I wasn't the most rave reviewer of St Andrews while there, but since going elsewhere, I totally see where St Andrews goes right.

Lay person recognition of St Andrews is actually very very high in Canada (nowhere near as high as Oxford or Cambridge mind you). A lot of people I've met know St Andrews because of the royal family and know of the competitiveness of the school. Compared to Edinburgh for example, St Andrews gets better lay recognition. A lot of people have never heard of Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okorange)

Lay person recognition of St Andrews is actually very very high in Canada (nowhere near as high as Oxford or Cambridge mind you). A lot of people I've met know St Andrews because of the royal family and know of the competitiveness of the school. Compared to Edinburgh for example, St Andrews gets better lay recognition. A lot of people have never heard of Edinburgh.
    Have to disagree with you on that one. Whenever I tell people in Canada where I go to Uni, it goes something like: "Oh I go to St Andrews… in Scotland… where Prince William and Kate Middleton went… never mind." If they know it, it's because of Will+Kate, not because of the calibre/competitiveness of the school. More people have heard of most of the London schools (and even Edinburgh).

ReputationRep:
    According to QS World rankings 2015/16:-

1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford
    3. UCL
    4. Imperial
    5. KCL
    6. Edinburgh
    7. Manchester
    8. LSE
    9. Bristol
    10.Warwick
    11. Durham
    12. Glasgow
    13. St Andrews
    14. Nottingham
    15. Birmingham

Can certain people stop going on about St Andrews being a super elite university once and for all?

ReputationRep:

1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford
    3. UCL
    4. Imperial
    5. KCL
    6. Edinburgh
    7. Manchester
    8. LSE
    9. Bristol
    10.Warwick
    11. Durham
    12. Glasgow
    13. St Andrews
    14. Nottingham
    15. Birmingham

Can certain people stop going on about St Andrews being a super elite university once and for all?
    I am not supporting the super elite status of St Andrews, but don't base your opinions on rankings and especially selecting one ranking and make a big deal out of it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElizabethRG)
    Have to disagree with you on that one. Whenever I tell people in Canada where I go to Uni, it goes something like: "Oh I go to St Andrews… in Scotland… where Prince William and Kate Middleton went… never mind." If they know it, it's because of Will+Kate, not because of the calibre/competitiveness of the school. More people have heard of most of the London schools (and even Edinburgh).
    What kind of people are you talking to? Most of the people I talk to know St Andrews more than Edinburgh for sure. When I say Edinburgh I get blank stares. London a lot of people don't know any schools there but may know LSE or Imperial if they are in engineering. A lot of people have told me its a very good school or that its very competitive as well.

I never tell people that Prince William went to St Andrews, but a lot of people bring it up.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but caring about what the layperson knows seems pointless and even retarded to me.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of people are you talking to? Most of the people I talk to know St Andrews more than Edinburgh for sure. When I say Edinburgh I get blank stares. London a lot of people don't know any schools there but may know LSE or Imperial if they are in engineering. A lot of people have told me its a very good school or that its very competitive as well.

I never tell people that Prince William went to St Andrews, but a lot of people bring it up.
    I'm not sure why you defend St Andrews tooth and nail, it simply can't live with Edinburgh. Even Glasgow is more important for Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure why you defend St Andrews tooth and nail, it simply can't live with Edinburgh. Even Glasgow is more important for Scotland.
    Sorry, but not sure why you attack St Andrews tooth and nail. If you were rejected there are better ways to express your sentiments.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but not sure why you attack St Andrews tooth and nail. If you were rejected there are better ways to express your sentiments.
    I speak of St Andrews as it actually is, which is just short of being a UK top 10 university. Edinburgh is comfortably a top 8 UK university.

ReputationRep:
    I speak of St Andrews as it actually is, which is just short of being a UK top 10 university. Edinburgh is comfortably a top 8 UK university.
    I don't care all that much but St Andrews is in the top 10 for virtually every UK Uni ranking I've seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford
    3. UCL
    4. Imperial
    5. KCL
    6. Edinburgh
    7. Manchester
    8. LSE
    9. Bristol
    10.Warwick
    11. Durham
    12. Glasgow
    13. St Andrews
    14. Nottingham
    15. Birmingham

We all know about Uni rankings and their problems - surely you don't think Manchester is genuinely a better Uni than LSE?

And why does St Andrews wipe the floor with Edinburgh in all the domestic rankings? As an undergrad focused Uni and not a research-producing machine it's obviously going to be weaker in international rankings anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Square)
    We all know about Uni rankings and their problems - surely you don't think Manchester is genuinely a better Uni than LSE?

And why does St Andrews wipe the floor with Edinburgh in all the domestic rankings? As an undergrad focused Uni and not a research-producing machine it's obviously going to be weaker in international rankings anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It boasts being an undergrad focused uni, but in my experience very few people are actually interested in teaching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MickMike)
    It boasts being an undergrad focused uni, but in my experience very few people are actually interested in teaching.
    I have no idea what the teaching is like, I just know there's a high proportion of undergrads there. Mostly it just seems like some people are hellbent on attacking the University unfairly.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 10, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.