Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I wouldn't have gone there anyway so tis all gurd (Y)

<3

ReputationRep:
    okay so OP went to a uni without visiting and now regrets their decision, and expresses said emotion by belittling a place and the entire student population.
    I live in London and can't WAIT to get out of here. It'll be fine to come back to for vacations, but I hate the fact that you can't avoid using public transport, the air quality is vile, everything is absolutely heaving with people even on a quiet day, if you want to take a walk along the south bank or through covent garden you have to fight your way through legions of tourists and duck out of the way of their massive DSLRs that they haven't a clue how to use, and if you want to go out somewhere you spend a quarter of your evening on the tube - just everything is so so frustrating and argh and takes ages.
    Personally, the idea of living in a smaller, quiet place, where going out for dinner or having a house party takes precedence over "omg lyk lets rave lolol!!11 I NEED CLUBS TO FUNCTION" is a very appealing prospect!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Having read this, I so wish I'd applied for St Andrews now. It seems like an almost idyllic place.

Thank you for the sharing - advice taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNorth)
    Sorry Dear, but I'm afraid you seem like the most bitter person in this thread, bitter you made a 'mistake' by coming to a first class Uni and expecting the world of a small coastal town..
    The comment about peoples' bitterness was referring to those who posted negative comments about the fact that I had a private school education and said that I'd been 'spoonfed' and basically implied that I was some spoilt rich kid. I live in Lewisham in London and am anything but rich and spoiled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lj789)
    Thank you for the sharing - advice taken.
    You're welcome!

ReputationRep:
    I attended for two years and had an identical experience although I deserved it due to my snobbish desire to attend an "elite" uni. It isn't.

On the upside the staff-student ratio is pretty good. I had 5 students to a world renowned physicist! This is all you are paying for, I'm at Strathclyde now where the teaching is at a comparable level but the staff-student is far lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sb74)
    I attended for two years and had an identical experience although I deserved it due to my snobbish desire to attend an "elite" uni. It isn't.

On the upside the staff-student ratio is pretty good. I had 5 students to a world renowned physicist! This is all you are paying for, I'm at Strathclyde now where the teaching is at a comparable level but the staff-student is far lower.
    Can I ask who the "world renowned physicist" was? I'm an honors physics student there and I'll keep my eyes peeled for him!

Did you not look in the prospectus/visit the town either? If so - how can you be surprised/disappointed with what the town is like? It is exactly as advertised; small, quiet, safe...all things I value greatly about it.

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you visit it before you applied??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Botticello)
    Why didn't you visit it before you applied??
    This is the question which everyone is wondering She won't answer except the age-old "her parents pushed her in to it".

What annoys me more is that she apparently didn't even visit the website (http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/) or look in the prospectus; both correctly portray St Andrews as a small town.
    The OPs two main criticisms are that there are no clubs and no "large shopping centre" - anyone on these forums could have told her that, or by looking in the prospectus, or best of all by visiting the town.

I do not accept most of the criticism she has against the university and town - and think it is nobodys fault but her own that she was so surprised when she got here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sb74)

Wow really? I'm thinking of leaving, but I don;t know what the process is like- please Message me I'd love to hear about your experience, I'm in 2nd year right now and seriosuly considering what my transfer options are... xxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    This is the question which everyone is wondering She won't answer except the age-old "her parents pushed her in to it".

What annoys me more is that she apparently didn't even visit the website (http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/) or look in the prospectus; both correctly portray St Andrews as a small town.
    The OPs two main criticisms are that there are no clubs and no "large shopping centre" - anyone on these forums could have told her that, or by looking in the prospectus, or best of all by visiting the town.

I do not accept most of the criticism she has against the university and town - and think it is nobodys fault but her own that she was so surprised when she got here.
    Not even the site??? Gods sake. She asked for it :rolleyes: I suppose it would be quite good not to have that pressure to go clubbing all the time but it is good to have that option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Umiisadorable)
    Wow really? I'm thinking of leaving, but I don;t know what the process is like- please Message me I'd love to hear about your experience, I'm in 2nd year right now and seriosuly considering what my transfer options are... xxxxxxx
    If you're so keen to leave - why haven't you looked in to it before now? Speaking to your tutor or advisor would be a great way to do this.

Just waiting for a chance encounter with someone on the internet who has already transferred isn't being very pro-active and probably shows you're not as desperate to leave as you're making out.

(Original post by Botticello)
    Not even the site??? Gods sake. She asked for it :rolleyes: I suppose it would be quite good not to have that pressure to go clubbing all the time but it is good to have that option.
    Yeah. I do more research than that if I'm going to stay in a hotel for the night, never mind if I plan to spend 4+ years there!

ReputationRep:
    isn't the fact that there are no shopping malls packed with every chain in britain which are completly false environments and americanised and the fact that there are no enormous impersonal venues which bang out the same student targetted crap night after night and the fact that a 'night out' deosnt just mean getting paralytic with a bunch of neds in some 'club' a good thing??

St Andrews is totally unique - sure the pubs close at 2am - but then you end up with your friends on castle sands.. - sure there are no night clubs but there are smaller venues and more house and dinner parties.. no shops - what you mean is not many chains - but there are some excellent delicatessens, bottle shops, cheese shops butchers etc which are all locally run and authentic what's boring about that?? I think a street filled with high street names like every other city in britain is quite boring actually...

and as for academics - you can see the quality of research from the RAE, and the quality of teaching is mostly excellent, reflected in the student surveys.. to try and say the university is academically not elite is a joke, clearly the opposite is true - look at citation factors and research funding.. for such a small uni they are exceptional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    If you're so keen to leave - why haven't you looked in to it before now? Speaking to your tutor or advisor would be a great way to do this.

Just waiting for a chance encounter with someone on the internet who has already transferred isn't being very pro-active and probably shows you're not as desperate to leave as you're making out.

Yeah. I do more research than that if I'm going to stay in a hotel for the night, never mind if I plan to spend 4+ years there!
    Seriously, you need to calm down, this isn't a personal attack on you, O.K? I'm allowed to ask other people about their expereinces, I'm allowed to say what I want about the place- call me stupid or whatever you want I don't care- people are reading this, and are going to continue reading this and thats what matters to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    Can I ask who the "world renowned physicist" was? I'm an honors physics student there and I'll keep my eyes peeled for him!
    Keith Horne is probably the only guy I'd put in that category at St Andrews.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever. I'm GLAD they rejected me now. I'm not bitter or anything :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds perfect to me!
    I live in the West End of glasgow and I find it boring mainly because all anyone my age wants to do is go on a night out spending **** loads of money to get pissed every night and listen to ****** music.

I'd much rather dress up as a pirate and go have a party on a beach or go to a house party with mates or go catch a film or go do a show than go to a club tbh.

And being isolated is a plus for me. Like my own little world thats called university thats seperate from the outside world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Keith Horne is probably the only guy I'd put in that category at St Andrews.
    He was my lecturer for astronomy last semester, I don't know how renowned he is. I was really interested to see who the other guy thought was "world renowned", if he even came here to study physics.

(Original post by Umiisadorable)

Seriously, you need to calm down, this isn't a personal attack on you, O.K? I'm allowed to ask other people about their expereinces, I'm allowed to say what I want about the place- call me stupid or whatever you want I don't care- people are reading this, and are going to continue reading this and thats what matters to me.
    Of course you're allowed to say what you want . I think what's become apparent through the course of this thread is that your shocking lack of research in to a place you planned to spend 4+ years of your life at has come back to bite you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    He was my lecturer for astronomy last semester, I don't know how renowned he is. I was really interested to see who the other guy thought was "world renowned", if he even came here to study physics.

Of course you're allowed to say what you want . I think what's become apparent through the course of this thread is that your shocking lack of research in to a place you planned to spend 4+ years of your life at has come back to bite you.
    Yeah....as I've said like 5 times now- thats part of why I wrote this- I made a mistake I don't want others to make and didn't research enough and didn't visit thinking the student experience was a generic thing that you could have anywhere, no matter how small the place...I was wrong...REALLY wrong and I've said that several times and made it clear that this was a warning to others about what this place is like from MY PERSPECTIVE. (and the perspective of several others including some students who are actually Scottish)...so you don't need to repeat yourself again, I thought I'd made myself very clear on that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 10, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.