Turn on thread page Beta

whats the chances? Pregnant? watch

Anon or delete please.

And guys no joke comments, yes there funny but im upset

Right, recently started the pill, only been on it for two weeks, not sure how effective it is atm...
    However last night me and my boyfriend had sex, and the condom broke, now im really worried, should i get the morning after? or will the pill alone be okay?

Thanks TSR

ReputationRep:
    The purpose of the pill is to prevent pregnancy. Why are you even on it if you don't trust it to prevent pregnancies?

ReputationRep:
    The pill alone is fine...that is why people take it.

The only times it may not be as efficient is if you do not take it correctly (ie, you miss one or something) or if you have been sick / had upset stomach around the day you had the unprotected sex.

I had condoms break twice... once before I was on the pill, so i got morning after. The second time was when I was on the pill. Was fine.

So annoying when you take care to be safe...and it breaks :-/

ReputationRep:
    The pill should work?

ReputationRep:
    a hefty dose of radiation should sort out the problem of pregnancy for good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    The purpose of the pill is to prevent pregnancy. Why are you even on it if you don't trust it to prevent pregnancies?
    Not everyone takes the pill as a stand-alone form of birth control!

I'm on the pill, mainly to control my irregular and painful periods, the fact it's a contraceptive is a bonus but I still insist on going "double-dutch" when my boyfriend and I have sex because I like the peace of mind that 2 contraceptives are better than 1. No method is 100% reliable and after only 2 weeks the OP may be wise to express concern.

OP, I'm sure you'll be fine. The pill is preventative against pregnancy but take the morning after pill if you're unsure/anxious. However, the MAP is most effective after 24 hours so it should really have been taken this morning. It is, however, recommended for up to 72 hours so if you're really concerned about it, go first thing tomorrow morning.

All the best!

Just the fact i've only been on it for 13 days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)
    Not everyone takes the pill as a stand-alone form of birth control!
    That makes no difference. The pill is still just as effective for those who don't as for those who do. If didn't effectively prevent pregnancy, then it wouldn't be licensed as a contraceptive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Just the fact i've only been on it for 13 days
    I'm surprised that the doctor prescribing it didn't explain how long it takes to work, and that you didn't read the pamphlet that came with it.

If you start taking it at the beginning of your period, it's effective immediately. If you start taking it at any other time, then it's effective after 7 days. In any case, it's effective now.

ReputationRep:
    That makes no difference. The pill is still just as effective for those who don't as for those who do. If didn't effectively prevent pregnancy, then it wouldn't be licensed as a contraceptive.
    Agreed, but don't presume that everyone is 100% comfortable/trusting just because it is labelled and licensed as contraception, in exactly the same way as not everyone trusts condoms or the implant.

Personally, I'd always prefer to use 2 methods but it's individual preference.

ReputationRep:
    If you've taken the pill for 7 consecutive days, then you should be protected. If you're worried, then there's no harm in getting the MAP just as a precaution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlet)
    The pill alone is fine...that is why people take it.

The only times it may not be as efficient is if you do not take it correctly (ie, you miss one or something) or if you have been sick / had upset stomach around the day you had the unprotected sex.
    also if you are on some antibiotics

ReputationRep:
    put it this way... i am on the pill, and there has been times where the condon has broke, or i havnt used one. and i hav not ended up pregnant. i can see why u are concerned. but wait unitll ur next period, if u are late by 4-5 days make an appointment and see ur doctor ,... just to check. but honestly i think u will b fine ! xxx :-)

ReputationRep:
    Read the instructions that came with the pill you take.

Depends on the specific type, but I know some people whose pill doesn't start to work unless you've been on it for about a month.

If you're worried about it, go check with your doctor about what the chances are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Right, recently started the pill, only been on it for two weeks, not sure how effective it is atm...
    However last night me and my boyfriend had sex, and the condom broke, now im really worried, should i get the morning after? or will the pill alone be okay?

Thanks TSR
    Give a call to your OBG-YN to see if two weeks on the pill makes it effective or not...you wouldn't want to take the morning after pill for nothing!

ReputationRep:
    When did you start taking it? If you started at the beginning of your last period, don't worry you are fully protected. If you started taking it at random, you are probably protected but I'd phone your GP/local family planning clinic just in case

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.