Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I am currently studying for a Bsc(Hons) in Counselling and therapeutic studies.

I ultimately want to become a Counsellor, Play Therapist or Psychotherapist.

I will be 21 when I graduate next year and have no idea whether to take a gap year or go straight into Postgraduate study.

I don't know if I would be accepted into a Postgraduate programme because of my age (I think they like applicants to be around 25)

Also, If I do take a gap year I don't want to end up doing a boring job. I want something where I can use my counselling skills preferably.

I'm not sure on postgraduate funding really either.

I have only been taking out maintenance loan/grant and paid my own tuition fees.

Can anyone shed light on postgraduate funding options?

ReputationRep:
    To fund a postgraduate degree, the most popular option seems to be applying for a Career Development Loan Career Development Loan - there's quite a few threads about it on here! What are the funding oppotunities like for the postgraduate course you want to do?

If you do take a gap year, it's a good idea to see if there's any volunteer oppotunies for you out there - quite a few places would be willing to take on a volunteer counsellor. I know it's not paid, but any experience is better than nothing. Also be on the look out for trainee counsellor positions; these places may pay you to study for a related higher education course or postgraduate study.

Good luck!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.