Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In Paris, the customer is not always right? watch

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...nt/8500246.stm

"The customer is allegedly always right in London but, in Paris, he or she is little more than an irritant."

:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Hah that was a really interesting read!

Dunno if anyone knows The Exiles series by Hillary McKay, but there's this fantastic bit in one of the books where they go to France and they say 'bonjour!' everytime they go in, and no one will serve them properly, they get blanked or given the wrong amounts or tutted and snapped at or whatever, and eventually the youngest girl realises that she just has to ignore the staff and stand looking all mournful, as if she doesn't actually want to buy anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)

Dunno if anyone knows The Exiles series by Hillary McKay, but there's this fantastic bit in one of the books where they go to France and they say 'bonjour!' everytime they go in, and no one will serve them properly, they get blanked or given the wrong amounts or tutted and snapped at or whatever, and eventually the youngest girl realises that she just has to ignore the staff and stand looking all mournful, as if she doesn't actually want to buy anything.
    whats the correct way of addressing someone then, "bonjour monsieur"?

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed this too in French cities, Paris in particular.

It's just a different way of doing things I suppose. In England we treat customers as 'above' the staff who serve them; they don't in France. :dontknow:

I prefer how it is in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, and the French/Parisians are renowned as having innate class.....? Interesting.

The Exiles :awesome: best books ever from when I was little! Good taste So weird that somebody else likes them haha.

ReputationRep:
    the customer is always wrong

ReputationRep:
    The customer is king, at least according to the French proverb.

ReputationRep:
    From Our Own Correspondent is a real hidden gem on the radio.

I hate the saying "The customer is always right". If I work here, then I probably know more about stuff than they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    The customer is king, at least according to the French proverb.
    hmm what did the french do to their last king again? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oodalallyoodalally)
    hmm what did the french do to their last king again? :p:
    Good point :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meebodied)
    whats the correct way of addressing someone then, "bonjour monsieur"?
    No, in the book they were supposed to just ignore them and stand looking at the food behind the glass. The shop staff resented their breezing into the shop shouting bonjour all friendly and Englishly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BunnyS:))
    The Exiles :awesome: best books ever from when I was little! Good taste So weird that somebody else likes them haha.
    Yayy Haha yeah I love them, still read them now

ReputationRep:
    No, in the book they were supposed to just ignore them and stand looking at the food behind the glass. The shop staff resented their breezing into the shop shouting bonjour all friendly and Englishly.
    Ooh point taken

ReputationRep:
    Try coming to Scotland. People who work in the service industry here operate on a completely different maxim: "the customer is a ****".

ReputationRep:
    Nice article I've lived in Paris and yes, the customer-seller relationship is different than in London, but I wouldn't say worse. In the UK, the costumer is king, whereas in Paris, the customer is equal to the seller.

Both cities are "friendly", but the English are more.. reserved, traditional? Like with the bit about the rap music in the taxi. In London, a taxi driver wouldn't dare play that kind of music loudly as far as I'm aware. In Paris, people are less shy to do so, but if you ask to tone the volume down, they will. At least that's how I've known Paris.

But all of this should be taken with a pinch of salt. It's far too easy to have one bad experience with an impolite salesperson in a city, and then make a generalisation about the whole nation being unfriendly.

ReputationRep:
    From people who are used to British customer service (even if we think it's not always very good!!), you do notice that in Paris it is VERY different! But to be honest you just get used to it after a while, and realise that it's not as if the staff are ACTIVELY being rude, they're just...indifferent to it all.

ReputationRep:
    Sacre bleu! Zis is a travesty!

ReputationRep:
    Interesting article! My friend was telling me about this in the pub yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Try coming to Scotland. People who work in the service industry here operate on a completely different maxim: "the customer is a ****".
    I used to work in an off licience and I often had that opinion.

The customer wasn't always right at all, and we would often tactfully remind them of that.

ReputationRep:
    The customer can sometimes **** off tbh. There's no reason to put them on a pedestal, unless they're a huge client or something you're equally financially dependent on.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.