Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi i am going to be applying in september to go to university for september 2011. All the universities i like the sound of are far from home and i really want to take my cat with me. He is 14 years old and he is quite shy he doesnot like my mum or my sister he only likes me. The last time i was away from home when i had to go into hospital he left the house and roamed the streets untill i came back so i would feel really guilty and worried leaving him at home while i go to university for 3 years or longer. Do you think any universities would let cats in the halls? Have you or do you know anyone who took a pet to university? If the universities do not let animals come do you think it would be possible/easy to find a landlord who wouldnot mind me bringing my cat because he is no trouble he just sleeps so he wont wreck the place.Thankyou for reading this i know it sounds silly but i am worried and really want my cat to come with me.:woo:

ReputationRep:
    disguise it as a student

ReputationRep:
    Halls never allow pets, and in most housing contracts the landlord will say no pets. sorry

No cats. Tbh, you should be thinking about your future, not something that claws at your furniture.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it

It's a shame though, I'd love my little puppy to come visit :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    From what I have read you can't take any pets to uni, although some don't mind fish.

I know because I want to take my budgie when I go.

ReputationRep:
    You might find a private landlord who'll allow you to keep your cat with you (even if it requires an extra deposit), but you'll be unlikely to find university halls which will.

Phone around landlords at your intended university and attempt negotiations, but be willing to offer extra money.

ReputationRep:
    You'd have to find a private landlord who was willing to have pets and most likely pay a bigger deposit. You also need to consider the stress of moving on an older cat.

There's not much point worrying about it now - in the nicest possible way, he's getting on a fair bit and may not even be around when the time comes for you to go.

ReputationRep:
    as long as it wont be a nuisance you should be able to make a deal with a landlord, just offer to replace anything the cat damages (even though you know he probably wont), and maybe offer a little extra cash
    good luck =]

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies.I thought universities wouldnot let pets but it was worth asking just to make sure. I will look into housing near the university nearer the time.It would have been better to go to university nearer home but i like the look of the course content for all the universities up North. Lets hope theres some nice landlords who will let cats stay.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.