Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are there any gymnasts on here? I'm doing a sportswear design module and would like some advice on what leotards are preferable etc

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    :wavey:

I dont like ones with high necks but thats just because i have a phobia about being strangled. tbf I take the points reduction and wear shorts just because im a bit self concious in just a leotard :/

ReputationRep:
    well i think a longer sleeve looks classier and I prefer a scoop back. Darker shades are probably more popular just cause they are more likely to suit more people.

ReputationRep:
    I hate leotards period. Whenever I trained I just wore a pair of shorts.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to take up gymnastics. Something I've always wanted to do although I wonder if gymnastics will aggravate American Football injuries?

Don't I quite have the body yet for a leotard. Hot chicks in leotards heaven.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999natasha)
    well i think a longer sleeve looks classier and I prefer a scoop back. Darker shades are probably more popular just cause they are more likely to suit more people.
    Yeah I actually think the longer sleeves look better on the ladies.

All this talk about gymnastics, too much excitement! Back to studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior King)
    I would love to take up gymnastics. Something I've always wanted to do although I wonder if gymnastics will aggravate American Football injuries?

Don't I quite have the body yet for a leotard. Hot chicks in leotards heaven.
    What are the injuries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    What are the injuries
    Where do I begin?

I'm not carrying any injuries as such. I'm just worried that doing two quite physically demanding sports; one relying on strength and flexibility and the other requiring on high-impact contact and strength it could be a lethal cocktail?

It's a risk worth taking. Alas must get past these exams first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior King)
    Where do I begin?

I'm not carrying any injuries as such. I'm just worried that doing two quite physically demanding sports; one relying on strength and flexibility and the other requiring on high-impact contact and strength it could be a lethal cocktail?

It's a risk worth taking. Alas must get past these exams first!
    I did gymnastics for 8 years whilst playing rugby.
    Both pretty seriously. Gymnastics will make your game so much better, your core strength will improve, your balance, agility heck gymnasts are just generally better athletes than NFL/Rugby/Soccer players and will benefit you greatly.

As long as you don't over do it you'll be fine.
    I was doing around 12 hours of gymnastics and 8 hours of rugby per week at my most intense level and managed it without physical damage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazza)
    Are there any gymnasts on here? I'm doing a sportswear design module and would like some advice on what leotards are preferable etc

thanks!
    Ex-gymnast.

Bra clip backs are very annoying on children's leotards because they don't have the nimble fingers for them and it generally results in an adult doing it for them, which wastes time.

High collars and long sleeves should be mutually exclusive. Many gymnasts have wider shoulders and this can pull the neck collar out of shape.

Also a lot of gymnasts like to roll the sleeves up so the elastic there needs to be stretchy.

Velour is absolutely horrible. For the love of god, don't use it, stick to the standard Lycra material.

Rhinestones OR pattern, never both. Rhinestones really need to be stuck on well. And don't put them down the sides or anything that might 'catch' the sleeve, remember how much a gymnast's arms are moving.

More than 4 colours, and more than 3 major ones, is rarely a good idea.

Don't let the neck be too wide and scoopy or the back too low, remember the massive sports bras they need to wear underneath.

Don't let it be cut too high or low. It is forbidden in the COP to expose the hipbones but it should be above where standard knickers rest. About an inch higher is probably right.

Make sure the material works with 'tough skin' (the glue we use to stick the leo to our arses) as this is an essential part of kit!

Be wary of dark colours or any material that is difficult to brush chalk from. Our chalk gets absolutely everywhere and if it is covering a dark leo that can look really unprofessional.

You don't normally wear underwear so it needs a little something built in down there, you do NOT want it to scratch.

Oh yeah and we all like a matching scrunchie for the ponytail!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpamBa)
    Be wary of dark colours or any material that is difficult to brush chalk from. Our chalk gets absolutely everywhere and if it is covering a dark leo that can look really unprofessional.
    Practically every girl at our gym wears white leotards, otherwise they would get a chalky hand slapped across their bum :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Practically every girl at our gym wears white leotards, otherwise they would get a chalky hand slapped across their bum :mmm:

Oh please stop, you're making too excited!

I visited the local gym club today and they've really got me excited to try it out. Their sessions are on a Thursday so if I got some free time I may go down. If not then definately after the exams.

Oh I can't wait! Getting physical in front some hot girls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazza)

thanks!
    I would prefer a guy's long-sleeve top rather than a vest as I have a scar on my arm I'd like to cover up in addition to at the moment not quite having the biceps to show-off.

I might have to wear a long-sleeve compression top underneath I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    I hate leotards period. Whenever I trained I just wore a pair of shorts.
    Well, you ARE a guy...

As someone else here said, if girls wear shorts in competition they get a points penalty. At my gym we have to wear leos to train, as well as for competition, so we get used to them. TBF I quite like them, as long as they're not too high on the neck.

ReputationRep:
    I went for gymnastics training yesterday it was so much fun I wish I had started sooner. Having done American Football and Martial Arts before I thought I had experience intesity and pain by Gymnastics really is the most intensive and exhausting sport I've ever done and whatever respect I had for gymnasts before has increased even further. I'm going to be doing some one-to-one training with the coach over the next few weeks I can't wait.

Although I noticed I ripped my shorts :p:

Thankfully they were black and I was wearing black Calvin Kleins so nobody noticed. But do I need to wear special gymnastic clothing or something?

I was thinking of getting a vest and gym trousers. Something that won't rip basically.

Oh yeah also met a nice girl in the class there yesterday. She was amazing. Will definately be going back next week for sure!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.