Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    AS English Lit, if anyone was wondering.
    Basically these are the two books my class are studying, and i'm struggling quite badly with them. In the Mock Exam I got a D, but that was a month after starting the novel, if anyone could help me along, through websites or just tips i'd be grateful.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    OH I LOVED Small Island.
    Are you comparing and contrasting the two? You should consider the themes behind both of the novels ( haven't read P&P but I've seen it lol). I think a common theme between the both of them is marriage, women not being able to marry out of love but marrying to better their circumstances ( Queenie marrying Bernard so that she could have a better life in London as opposed to living on the farm with her family and Hortense marrying Gilbert as her passport to England to achieve her own dream).
    You could also talk about no one is independent of their social up bringing, what you want and what you can get are two different things....am I right to believe that in P&P a certain woman wants to marry a guy but she is too poor...was it Elizabeth's sister?....can't remember.
    In the same way Hortense can't become a teacher because of ther ethnic origin, when she walks into the broom cupboard after the interview its is a subtle hint at the fact that she was only fit to be a cleaner in spite of her qualifications.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 7, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.