Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Offers from both, for AAB. St. Andrews specify that I need an A in English Lit, Glasgow do not specify any subjects. Just need to decide which one to firm and which to put as insurance.

In your opinion, based on anything - academics, city/town, nightlife, activities, etc - which would you choose?

Haven't visited either and can't afford to, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    I have an unconditional for glasgow and nothing so far for st andrews but personaly if i get anything from st andrews (probably not) but i would go there.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow a million times over. I live near St Andrews, and it's really small! There's barely anything to do, and there's a lot of 'posh' people (not sure if that's a pro or a con!). Accommodation looks pretty from what I've seen. Glasgow as a city is just amazing. I'm always there. It's hard to describe when you've never visited, but it depends if you're looking for excitement and city life (Glasgow), or a more tranquil experience (St Andrews).

Congrats on the offers btw. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

I know that I'm basing this on hearsay, but the impression I get from Glasgow, is that it's really 'rough'?

ReputationRep:
    i'd say st. andrews is wayyy better in terms of respectability. with a degree there you could go work pretty much anywhere you'd want.
    That said, i don't think glasgow is such a 'wow' place that could make you choose it over st. andrews...so.....st.andrews all the way bro!

ReputationRep:
    St Andrews Glasgow

Pros: Quite Presitigious, Pros: Very well respected
    Possibly a more interesting course? Possibly a more interesting course?
    Meant to be a gorgeous part of Scotland City Life

Cons: Extremely Isolated Cons: Glasgow? City Life?

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow: I've heard it's a great city, brilliant nightlife, beautiful scenery, good shopping.

St Andrews: Some people say there isn't a lot to do there: and my elder sister went there and left after a year because she said everyone was really stuck-up. Still, degree-wise, it's probably more respected and if you like the quiet life, it could be the place for you.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1176159

ReputationRep:
    They are both entirely different. If you want a city lifestyle with loads of students then Glasgow, if you want a quieter life go to St Andrews.

Which course do you prefer?

ReputationRep:
    There's really very little difference degree-wise between the two, just to let you know.

But I would really push for Glasgow, it's well respected, the city is fantastic, the entire area around the uni is all students, the nightlife is better than any I've been to, and if your doing english lit you get Fridays off which is amazing as Thursday night is one of the best nights out.

I'm at Glasgow btw, so if you want to know antihng else, just ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Thank you

I know that I'm basing this on hearsay, but the impression I get from Glasgow, is that it's really 'rough'?
    Like any city, some parts of Glasgow are pretty rough. I've never actually visited the Uni itself, but I've heard that it's in a nicer area of Glasgow, the West End. Generally, though, I don't think it stands out as being 'rough'.

ReputationRep:
    GLASGOW.

Seriously, you can choose to have a tranquil experience there too, or you could choose to take part in the hustle and bustle of the big city. St Andrews is very small, hasn't got many shops (this could be a good thing I spose), but it does have a (cold cold) beach, and golf courses. If you wanted to go out you'd go to Dundee which is also very small, as a comparison i'd say smaller than coventry..

Glasgow uni is very well respected, and it's gorgeous. As in, I never understood how people could 'fall in love' with a city, but I can honestly say I fell for it. They were gonna film Harry Potter there.

And it's not really rough, the uni is in the west end which is the nicer part. Like all cities it's got rough bits, but you wouldn't not go to a london uni or oxford because parts of the city weren't nice, woukd you?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    St Andrews is probably 'better' in terms of rep, but Glasgow is still lovely. My friend who does English there loves it although he has since decided to switch to History because he prefers it more. Other friends at Glasgow say it is a wonderful place. I guess it depends which course you prefer and whether you'd prefer to smaller place of St Andrews or the city of Glasgow :yep: I've not heard any bad stories from friends at Glasgow but they avoid the 'rough parts'. Every where has its bad points!

St Andrews by light years. Glasgow isn't anywhere near as prestigious as St Andrews.

ReputationRep:
    I think St Andrews has enjoyed something of an inflated reputation recently in certain quarters, whilst remaining relatively unknown in others. It's good, but I difficulty imagining why it is objectively better than Glasgow or Edinburgh. If anything, I'd say that it often feels quite limited -- the university library is rather small, there are only about 8,000 students, and there's not the full range of academic departments like at Glasgow.

Another thing to consider: in your first two years at a Scottish university, you'll do two or more other subjects in addition to English Literature. Many students then opt for a joint degree that incorporates one of their other subjects, and some change completely to one of their other subjects. So, you might also want to think about what other subjects you'd want to do in first or second year -- lots of options are available at both universities, but Glasgow likely has more variety as it's much bigger. If you think you might want to do, say, Scottish Literature, English Language or Gaelic alongside English Literature, then you should go to Glasgow, as you won't be able to do these subjects at St Andrews.

ReputationRep:
    go visit both places if you haven't done so already?

it should come down to whether you prefer to live in a town or a city.

ReputationRep:
    I can't afford to go up to Scotland right now. It's too expensive and I'd have to pay for a hotel to stay overnight too because it's so far away! Sigh.

Thanks for all the advice. I don't know, I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackie0hh)
    I have an unconditional for glasgow and nothing so far for st andrews but personaly if i get anything from st andrews (probably not) but i would go there.
    Hey, well done on the unconditional from Glasgow, what grades did you have at A level/higher to get the unconditional. I'm thinking of applying there myself for 2011 entry.

ReputationRep:
    Got 3As and 2 Bs at higher but didnt go there in the end At aberdeen now Good luck

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.