Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Nationality = birthplace. Ethnic origin = parents.

Where you've lived = where you've lived lol. If you move to, say, Australia, you won't suddenly lose your British nationality and become Australian - is that makes sense.

So I'd say you're British.

Edit: As the comment above says, English, Welsh and Scottish is all British at the end of the day anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This is something I've wondered a long while, and people seem to disagree with me. I'd say that I'm English but some say I'm welsh.

I was born in England, but raised and have lived in wales right on the border for all my life. Most my family lives in England so I spent time equally in each country seeing relatives. Both parents are English born (and to english parents).

So what does determine nationality more, birthplace? Parents? Or where you've lived?
    like others said you are British! that is your official nationality.
    whether you are english or welsh is up to you really, I don't think it has a real official status anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Nationality is decided by birthplace and the nationality of your parents - that's what I've always thought. That's why some people can have dual nationalities, for example if their parents are British but they're born abroad, say in America. Then they can have both an American passport, and a British one.

ReputationRep:
    The country that's given you a passport, obviously

ReputationRep:
    What About....
    Born in Saudi Arabia (bearing in mind that Saudi does not give nationality to people who aren't ''arab'')
    Pakistani parents
    lived in Pakistan Dubai and England?
    What am I?

ReputationRep:
    OP you're British.
    English and Welsh are not nationalities that are recognised in any meaningful sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punkyrocker)
    Nationality is decided by birthplace and the nationality of your parents - that's what I've always thought. That's why some people can have dual nationalities, for example if their parents are British but they're born abroad, say in America. Then they can have both an American passport, and a British one.
    Untrue, in the UK anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Untrue
    Then could you correct it? I've always wondered!

ReputationRep:
    does it really matter..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    OP you're British.
    English and Welsh are not nationalities that are recognised in any meaningful sense.
    Being British is boring. Being English/Welsh is fun. (see: six nations)

ReputationRep:
    i'm english welsh and jamaican

but British.

that's just what nationality is..
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It's been said before, you're British.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by carbondummy)
    What About....
    Born in Saudi Arabia (bearing in mind that Saudi does not give nationality to people who aren't ''arab'')
    Pakistani parents
    lived in Pakistan Dubai and England?
    What am I?
    whatever it says on your passport that you are.

ReputationRep:
    The OP is British

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prussianking666)
    Your BRITISH! not engling,welsh or scottish we are all BRITISH.
    Right. English is not a nationality, and neither are Welsh or Scottish. Ethnic origin is a different matter.

ReputationRep:
    You're British.

As far being Welsh or English depends what you feel like more.

ReputationRep:
    I was told off once for being racist by taking the priss out of a white welsh guy by saying that he shaggerd sheep!!! WTF!

I knew someone who kept saying "I'm the only Scottish person in my family," Idiot. Simply for that fact that he was born up there then spent the rest of his life in England.

Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are all dragged into the UK as one country, like it or not.

rant over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This is something I've wondered a long while, and people seem to disagree with me. I'd say that I'm English but some say I'm welsh.

I was born in England, but raised and have lived in wales right on the border for all my life. Most my family lives in England so I spent time equally in each country seeing relatives. Both parents are English born (and to english parents).

So what does determine nationality more, birthplace? Parents? Or where you've lived?
    Do you feel Welsh or English? It's all up to you. Which ever one floats your boat.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say English because that's where your family are from and most of your family is there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prussianking666)
    Your BRITISH! not engling,welsh or scottish we are all BRITISH.
    Sorry to disappoint you, but I consider my nationality Scottish because it's what I identify most with. Many people in England, Wales, Northern Ireland will say the same thing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.