Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNorth)
    Sorry to disappoint you, but I consider my nationality Scottish because it's what I identify most with. Many people in England, Wales, Northern Ireland will say the same thing.
    Yeah well you're wrong. British is a nationality, the others aren't. Check your passport :P

ReputationRep:
    You're British.

As many others have said, English/Welsh/Scottish are NOT nationalities, they're national identities.

That's why on the 2011 Census, they are introducing a 'national identity' question, to stand alongside the nationality question.

So whilst we have to put our nationality is British (if you tick 'other' and put English, Welsh or Scottish, it gets counted as British, in the 2011 Census, we will be able to detail our national identity. That might just be English, or if someone has English and Scottish parents, they might identify with both.

ReputationRep:
    Screw all this Scotland/Wales/Ireland love in crap. I'm English and English only.

(Original post by _Shanice_)
    Nationality = birthplace. Ethnic origin = parents.

Where you've lived = where you've lived lol. If you move to, say, Australia, you won't suddenly lose your British nationality and become Australian - is that makes sense.
    Well I plan to immigrate to Australia or America one day and deliberately lose my accent. So I would become Australian wouldn't I, albeit a naturalized one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpshooter)
    Screw all this Scotland/Wales/Ireland love in crap. I'm English and English only.

Well I plan to immigrate to Australia or America one day and deliberately lose my accent. So I would become Australian wouldn't I, albeit a naturalized one.

But you'll always be a British national, regardless of where you live because your were born in England. That's what I meant.

I wasn't giving any "Scotland/Wales/Ireland love in crap" I was just saying it's all British at the end of the day. I'm not saying you're not English, I'm just saying technically it's British - that doesn't mean I'm saying you're Scottish, Irish and Welsh as well, it just means that nationality wise it's classed as British.

Edit: I never said anything about losing an accent, I said you wouldn't lose your British nationality. And I didn't post the comment as a form of debate with you I was just replying to your post - you wanted to know your nationality so I told you, leave it at that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    whatever it says on your passport that you are.
    What if you have more than one passport from different countries?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Psyk)
    What if you have more than one passport from different countries?
    then you're all of them

ReputationRep:
    Same as you but I have a Welsh dad and English mum. I was born on the border of North Wales and visit South Wales a lot but I was living in England. Would you say I'm British or English ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12Koolkates)
    Same as you but I have a Welsh dad and English mum. I was born on the border of North Wales and visit South Wales a lot but I was live in England. Would you say I'm British or English ?
    Why did you post on a thread that's almost 6 years old?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This is something I've wondered a long while, and people seem to disagree with me. I'd say that I'm English but some say I'm welsh.

I was born in England, but raised and have lived in wales right on the border for all my life. Most my family lives in England so I spent time equally in each country seeing relatives. Both parents are English born (and to english parents).

So what does determine nationality more, birthplace? Parents? Or where you've lived?
    You're British!

Anything else is just whatever you want it to be.

If you want to be Welsh you be Welsh, if you want to be English you be English. There's not really any importance to these definitions besides what you give it.

Edit: Haha ancient thread.

ReputationRep:
    Obz didn't look at how old it was😅

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused about which I am as my parents were both Welsh, but I was born and brought up in England and although I know some Welsh phrases I do not speak Welsh. I do visit relatives in Wales every year

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.