Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

when a contract says that you are entitled to 23 days of annual leave plus 8 statutory holidasy what exactly does it mean?

Does it mean 23 working days or 23 calendar money? So lets say we talk about March, if i take 23 calendar days then i will have a leave from 1 March to 24 of March but if they are working days then i will have 31 days which is the whole month.

Which one is the normal in UK? In greece the contracts mean working days so in my example its the 31 part.

ReputationRep:
    It means that you may take off 23 days that you would normally have worked. That's always what it means, everywhere. You also get bank holidays off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    It means that you may take off 23 days that you would normally have worked. That's always what it means, everywhere. You also get bank holidays off.
    No it doesnt, every european country has its own rules. In Greece for example when your annual leave says 28 days it counts them as calendar days and includes weekends.

I am glad to see that in UK this does not apply, which means that since a contract may say:

"23 days per annum plus 8 statutory holidays"

then that is approximately 30 calendar days plus 8 more days from statutory holidays =38.

They seem a lot to me, thats why i was wondering about it!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this helps:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ys/DG_10029788

Where I work, I have 23 days leave like you, and it is 23 working days.
    Statutory holidays are bank holidays etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camisado)
    I don't know if this helps:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ys/DG_10029788

Where I work, I have 23 days leave like you, and it is 23 working days.
    Statutory holidays are bank holidays etc.
    Thank you camisado, you rock hard!

So you actually have like 38 days off every year? Sounds very nice.

ReputationRep:
    You get 23 days off a year plus eight bank holidays. So no it's not 38 days a year.

You can basically pick 23 days you would normally be working to have off and you will also get bank holidays off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondeamon)
    Thank you camisado, you rock hard!

So you actually have like 38 days off every year? Sounds very nice.
    Haha, thank you. xD

Well, I only think of it as the 23 days off, it actually doesn't seem like a lot to me. xD It's kinda lame when you're used to really long academic holidays! But I'll get more the longer I work with my company. =)

ReputationRep:
    Yes sorry, its just that i am planning to take them all at once so for example i can take the whole July off. Its 23 working days and with the weekends it will be more like a month.

I can see now why the way i wrote it seems confusing. Others may like to take their leave 5 days each time for 4 months etc
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You should talk to your employer about your plans to take all your leave at once. As that is not normal, they might not be too comfortable with that much absence. Most posts can be covered for a couple of weeks, but a whole month might cause issues.

ReputationRep:
    In greece the contracts mean working days
    In Greece for example when your annual leave says 28 days it counts them as calendar days and includes weekends.
    You're contradicting yourself here. Which is right? I'd be astonished if the latter really was true, that's just bizarre. If I just book every Wednesday off for as long as I can, how many Wednesdays do I get off? 28? How do you account for weekends if you don't take full weeks off?

Re your "take July off" plan, bear in mind that there are always things that crop up during the year that you'd need to take some holiday for - very unwise to leave yourself 11/12ths of the year with no holiday allowance!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.