Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if racists help or hinder integration of immigrants. Lots of racists complain that immigrants live in ghettos and don't want to integrate but they also want to send them home and attack them which makes immigrants defensive and feel they have to live with others from the same country to feel safe.

Also, if you are attacked if you are an immigrant, it makes you less rather than more likely to keep your own culture rather than try to embrace the culture of your attackers.

ReputationRep:
    If you are attacked, I imagine it makes it quite likely that you may want to seek revenge on the group that perpetrated the assault.

Probably explains why a bunch of 50+ yr old men who were ex-National Front and ex-football hooligans are now cr*pping themselves.

Also, if you are assaulting a complete stranger, how do you know whether or not they are immigrants? - e.g. when walking around London or going on the tube etc. I have no idea whether someone is an immigrant or not!

Obviously when they open their mouths and start to speak - and possibly have say, strong Baltic-accented English, I suspect they are probably an immigrant.

ReputationRep:
    I think OP nailed one of the key elements of inter-racial violence.
    I know lots of people, both white and of ethnic background, that have been attacked due to their race or religion. While most of them can shake it off, usually because they have friends of different ethnic backgrounds, and can therefore be rational, a great deal of young people who have been confronted on such grounds end up becoming spiteful and resentful, thinking irrationally. This really kicks off the violence, its the kind of 'eye for an eye' philosophy that some people have.

Does it encourage racial mixing ? rarely, in fact its usually the opposite. And both sides of the coin dont intergrate. I went to a pub once with mostly white people in it, I mostly got quite dirty looks from them; this was from ordering a 7up. I guess it might be the same if a white person went to an asian dominated area of london such as southall....

Both sides are as bad as each other, which is not really said enough.

ReputationRep:
    Of course racism hinders integration. Why would an immigrant want to move to an area where they can be attacked with more ease? And these 'ghettos' are the result of racial and class discrimination. Don't you think they would want to move to nicer, safer, areas? The fact that social mobility has been decreasing since the 80s, coupled witht he fact that the vast majority of immigrants and their decendants are working class, means that they have no choice but to live in these 'ghettos' rather than them being self-imposed. Also, ethnic minorities work a alot harder at school than whites, but given the limited resources of the state school system many of them are trapped in a cycle of poverty and deprivation. And that won't help them move to other areas.

(Original post by Invocation)
    Of course racism hinders integration. Why would an immigrant want to move to an area where they can be attacked with more ease? And these 'ghettos' are the result of racial and class discrimination. Don't you think they would want to move to nicer, safer, areas? The fact that social mobility has been decreasing since the 80s, coupled witht he fact that the vast majority of immigrants and their decendants are working class, means that they have no choice but to live in these 'ghettos' rather than them being self-imposed. Also, ethnic minorities work a alot harder at school than whites, but given the limited resources of the state school system many of them are trapped in a cycle of poverty and deprivation. And that won't help them move to other areas.
    Great answer.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.