The Student Room Group

How hard is A Level Math?

Hai i have a few questions i would like to know, my uni course needs math so i am going to take it even though im not a massive lover of maths and im not very good at it either but im determined to study like anything to get a decent grade in it so would you advise this subject?

Also would you say someone not good at Math could pass this subject with just lots and lots of revision and past papers? i have no problem remembering lot's of stuff xD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you try really hard and do loads of past papers, yeah, i don't see why not. It's not extremely difficult.
Reply 2
Not as hard as Further Maths :biggrin:

It's definitely not a 'memorise' subject, but an 'understand' subject. If you don't like maths, maybe you should reconsider your future degree (since there's clearly gonna be a lot of maths involved if it's a requirement)
Reply 3
Some would say maths is the easiest subject and some would say it's the hardest one at A level. I think practice is an important factor, if not the most important one to be good at maths.
Reply 4
A lot of people will comment and tell you that it's piss, how they breezed through the A level and got their A grade yarda yarda yarda but it still requires a substantial amount of effort.

A fair few areas of the A level take a while to 'click' as such at first but they become manageable once you do a sufficient amount of practice.

Providing you're prepared to work hard, yes you most likely can get a good grade. Don't worry, most people who take Maths find it rather interesting whether they're good at it or not.
It depends on you really, I did really badly in Maths at GCSE, I got the lowest grades in the class but in the end I got an A*. I'm doing A Level Maths and its not too hard. If you put some effort in you will be fine. If you find something difficult and decide to leave it to the last minute you will stuggle.
Reply 6
Fair enough thanks for the fast replys, i think i will will have to retake math at gcse first and get atleast a C i ****** up pretty badly back then because of a quiet a few situations which stressed me out and just made me not concentrate, but yeah i don't mind maths and if it's what i need for my future degree then i will be motivated enough to do it :smile:
Reply 7
It's not impossible at all, as long as you were okay at GCSE, you'll get by :smile: and potentially excel if you try really hard!
Get a private tutor maybe £40-50 a week?

But it's not to hard but can be frustrating whenever you're stuck on a question for ages and you can only ask your teacher the next day. :frown:
Reply 9
PandaDude
Hai i have a few questions i would like to know, my uni course needs math so i am going to take it even though im not a massive lover of maths and im not very good at it either but im determined to study like anything to get a decent grade in it so would you advise this subject?

Also would you say someone not good at Math could pass this subject with just lots and lots of revision and past papers? i have no problem remembering lot's of stuff xD

As i.am.lost pointed out if your future degree choice requires math it's likely to have a heavy emphasis on maths, surely even if you get through the A level you'll struggle when you finally get to your degree? :dontknow: just something to think about
Reply 10
Math... *shudder*.
But tbh, anyone competent can do it with enough practice
If you work hard from the beginning, then i'd say you'd be okay
Wish i could turn back time and take my own advice haha
Reply 12
easy apart from c4 if you do your work
I have always struggled with Maths and found it a very tough subject, didn't do too bad in GCSE as I got an A.
I did it for AS just because my Dad wanted me to do so. I found it very very hard at first (from September until January) because the jump from GCSE to A level was :eek3: especially that I didn't do further Maths, but then started to get there eventually.
And even though I worked extremely hard and did all the past papers, literally from January 2005-January 2009 plus all the soloman papers, and did extremely badly in my A level ( few marks of a C :eek: ) . I was very angry at the end, and felt like I wasted a year of my life for absolutely nothing and obviously dropped it.
Now, as people said in this thread, if Maths is required at A level, it means that there will be a lot of Maths in the course. So this is something that you should bear in mind.
All the best :smile:
i.am.lost
It's definitely not a 'memorise' subject, but an 'understand' subject.

I disagree. It can be either, especially at A level. It's only necessary to understand it if you want to take it beyond degree level
Reply 15
How longs a piece of string? Maths is one of those subjects that is easy to pass aslong as you are prepared to show the work and commitment. I love maths and have never regretted taking it!
I found Maths A level a lot easier than Maths GCSE but thats just me. I find that as long as you do plenty of past papers as revision it seriously isn't that hard at all :smile:
Future Maths university student :smile:
maths at level is not at all hard as long as you practse lots of questions and always make sure you understand the work, if you don't then you must go to a teacher because if you don't for example know how to differentiate then you'll struggle on integration. so constant practise is required.
otherwise its very enjoyable.
Reply 18
mind numbingly easy
Reply 19
PandaDude
Fair enough thanks for the fast replys, i think i will will have to retake math at gcse first and get atleast a C i ****** up pretty badly back then

If you find a C at GCSE to be a challenging goal then you won't be able to do well at A level.

What Uni course do you want to do? what maths does it require?

Latest