Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently only studying one AS - English Language/Literature combied. Is this considered to be a good AS as opposed to doing the individual two? Also next year I want to pick up two more AS's, which courses are interesting or work well with the course I am currently doing and what career other than teaching can I look into (although I have been considering english teaching for quite some time now).What universitys are good for studying english + what are their entry requirements?

If you can answer some or all of these for me I will be extremely relieved. cheers xxx

ReputationRep:
    sorry darl if only you weren't from merry old england, if you weren't or if was then i might have had some idea what you just asked, but truthfully i have no idea what you just said, maybe if it was explained as if to a child (or a non-understanding aussie) then i can help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lady_V)
    I'm currently only studying one AS - English Language/Literature combied. Is this considered to be a good AS as opposed to doing the individual two? Also next year I want to pick up two more AS's, which courses are interesting or work well with the course I am currently doing and what career other than teaching can I look into (although I have been considering english teaching for quite some time now).What universitys are good for studying english + what are their entry requirements?

If you can answer some or all of these for me I will be extremely relieved. cheers xxx
    English Literature is very respected. English Language isn't at all. And English combined is sometimes respected - in between of the two. English is a great subject for any career espescially for the media. Other than teaching, what other career ideas do you have in mind? If you are interested in Media, then Media, Politics are good. But you may want to do something to with Money, in which case Maths or Economics would be good. What grade are you predicted for your AS? The best universities are obviously the usual ones... but there are still some great ones around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    English Literature is very respected. English Language isn't at all. And English combined is sometimes respected - in between of the two. English is a great subject for any career espescially for the media. Other than teaching, what other career ideas do you have in mind? If you are interested in Media, then Media, Politics are good. But you may want to do something to with Money, in which case Maths or Economics would be good. What grade are you predicted for your AS? The best universities are obviously the usual ones... but there are still some great ones around.
    Lang is respected more than many subjects, but probably not as respected as Lit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Lang is respected more than many subjects, but probably not as respected as Lit.
    Really? I thought it was useless?

ReputationRep:
    No, not useless.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at an English Language syllabus -- there is quite a lot of good stuff in there, and many people find it difficult. Although having said that English Lit is the traditional English to do, and more respected.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure English Language is a respected A Level. However, if you want to do English at University, they usually want English Literature. I've seen a lot that will accept English Combined instead, but not many that will accept English Language. So it depends what you want to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    english literature is one of the most useful, and as many people on here said "respected" subjects. its useful if u want to go into careers like Law, teaching, media etc. it teaches u analysing skills, u can look into things more deeply after u study english literature, it teaches u hidden meanings, u learn about history for the topics u study (context) and helps u see things thru other people's eyes.

on top of that, its rlly enjoyable too.

ReputationRep:
    They say that English Lit is more useful if you want to do English at University, rather than Engliash Lang/Lit (because Lang isn't really that respected).

ReputationRep:
    I'm predicted a B at the moment and I'm finding it really hard to boost my grade up to an A what do they expect of you for an A grade? I don't know anything about universities so some names of top ones for studying English would help because I'd like to start looking at my future prospects...

ReputationRep:
    What universitys are good for studying english + what are their entry requirements?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html

find the unis u like using time's rankings, theN go to their websites (google name of the uni and it'll find it) and then check what grades they want...top 5 unis for english want AAA-AAB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouKnewThat!)
    They say that English Lit is more useful if you want to do English at University, rather than Engliash Lang/Lit (because Lang isn't really that respected).
    If you want to do English at uni, a lot don't accept Lang on its own, they want either Lit or Lang & Lit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    If you want to do English at uni, a lot don't accept Lang on its own, they want either Lit or Lang & Lit.
    I shall just do lit.

ReputationRep:
    i personally think the subject is as useful as it wants to be! for example if you wanted to be a writer or journalist, well then english lang is great and would be the perfect subject to have!it all depends on what you want your life to revolve around?? oh yes can i just ask something please..... i want to work with young children when i finish my schooling and have picked english lang, pyscology, drama and ???? (cant think, maybe someone could help me!) are these good subject to have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrzySxyCool)
    i personally think the subject is as useful as it wants to be! for example if you wanted to be a writer or journalist, well then english lang is great and would be the perfect subject to have!it all depends on what you want your life to revolve around?? oh yes can i just ask something please..... i want to work with young children when i finish my schooling and have picked english lang, pyscology, drama and ???? (cant think, maybe someone could help me!) are these good subject to have?
    English Literature is much more useful to a writer. English Language is like modern english. If you want to go into teaching you children... I would say they are good options although it would be nice to be able to do something such as Maths... but I think they are fine though

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.