Turn on thread page Beta

the p block: nitrogen and group 5 question help watch

ReputationRep:
    3) one of the stages in the denitrification process brought about by bacteria in the soil involves the conversion of NO into N2O.

a) what is the change in the oxidation state of nitrogen in this conversion?

i know in the NO the oxidation state is +2 (right?) but what is it in the N2O?

b) write a balanced half equation for the conversion
    NO --> N2O
    you will need to add electrons, H2O molecules and H+ ions to balance the equation.

ok this i dont even know where to start.

:confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeekerOfKnowledge)
    3) one of the stages in the denitrification process brought about by bacteria in the soil involves the conversion of NO into N2O.

a) what is the change in the oxidation state of nitrogen in this conversion?

i know in the NO the oxidation state is +2 (right?) but what is it in the N2O?

b) write a balanced half equation for the conversion
    NO --> N2O
    you will need to add electrons, H2O molecules and H+ ions to balance the equation.

ok this i dont even know where to start.

:confused: :confused:
    Please read this, http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic...idnstates.html

Anyway, yes you are right, it is +2 for N in NO because O has oxidation state of -2 and overall oxidation state is zero as it is a neutral compound; if you read the site, you'd know this!
    ie N + (-2) = 0 => therefore N = +2

If you do the same for N2O: 2N + (-2) = 0, so what is N?

If is half equation, because there will be electrons being added on one side of the eqn. NB, a fully balanced equation won't have any electrons in them.
    So, NO ---> N2O
    Balance number of nitrogen first. then balance with number of electrons, according to your oxidation state values from previous parts of this question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    Please read this, http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic...idnstates.html

Anyway, yes you are right, it is +2 for N in NO because O has oxidation state of -2 and overall oxidation state is zero as it is a neutral compound; if you read the site, you'd know this!
    ie N + (-2) = 0 => therefore N = +2

If you do the same for N2O: 2N + (-2) = 0, so what is N?

If is half equation, because there will be electrons being added on one side of the eqn. NB, a fully balanced equation won't have any electrons in them.
    So, NO ---> N2O
    Balance number of nitrogen first. then balance with number of electrons, according to your oxidation state values from previous parts of this question
    ok so the oxidation state is +1

i dont understand how to do the second part

say for example:
    2NO -> N2O
    i cant balance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeekerOfKnowledge)
    ok so the oxidation state is +1

i dont understand how to do the second part

say for example:
    2NO -> N2O
    i cant balance
    You forgot you mentioned:
    "you will need to add electrons, H2O molecules and H+ ions to balance the equation."

I will give you something to start with
    NO + H+ + e- ---> N2O + H2O

ReputationRep:
    2NO + 2H+ + e ---> N2O +H2O
    ?

Yes, except that the charges aren't balanced.
    the left side has charge of 1+ due to (2H+ + e- = H+) whereas the right side has neutral charge. So you need to balance this.

if you haven't figured it out yet
    Spoiler:
    Show
    you need 2e- on the left side (instead of one electron)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 8, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.