Turn on thread page Beta

How to prevent bodyacne (Gym go-ers) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know there are many threads on body acne. However this thread is for those who are rarely inflicted by body acne unless they're gymming.

Just wondered if any one has some tips as to how to prevent Body Acne as a result of exercise. This could include;
    -Clothes?
    -Products?
    -Diet?
    -Anything

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    shower and wash your clothes?

ReputationRep:
    hmmm. I started getting a bit of spots on my chest...since I started going to the gym. It's actually linked then? I thought it was just co-incidence.

ReputationRep:
    try dettol soap, it contains clorohexynol which kills bacteria, the only downside is that it does dry the skin out slightly, but it seems to work.

ReputationRep:
    Acne is caused by hormones you goon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Nebula)
    Acne is caused by hormones you goon.
    it is caused by hormones, it is the blocking of pores with oil and dirt, washing these away decreases acne.

ReputationRep:
    gymming does increase acne because of the sweat blocking the pores. the best thing to do is shower as soon as possible and make sure you have non sweated on clothing to change into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty qwertison)
    it is caused by hormones, it is the blocking of pores with oil and dirt, washing these away decreases acne.
    This makes me think you don't wash, or that you don't wash nearly enough as you should.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a bit of acne on my back but going to the gym never exacerbated it for me.

It is quite fully under the control of your cyclical hormones during adolescence and there isn't much you can do really. Though it would be a good idea to keep hygiene-standards high, so wear clean, breathable clothes whilst working out and shower afterwards, never re-wearing used gym clothes.

Sorry to be nosey but your gym is quite clean right? You don't go to a sticky, horrible 1950s-style leisure centre!? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Nebula)
    This makes me think you don't wash, or that you don't wash nearly enough as you should.
    are you saying me personally or the 85% of the teens that get acne?

ReputationRep:
    You can try checking your diet. Protein can usually cause acne. If you're serious about your training, and having shakes + bcaa (some other aminos), try stop it and see what happens. But its not necessarily the case.

ReputationRep:
    Stop taking roids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    I used to have a bit of acne on my back but going to the gym never exacerbated it for me.

It is quite fully under the control of your cyclical hormones during adolescence and there isn't much you can do really. Though it would be a good idea to keep hygiene-standards high, so wear clean, breathable clothes whilst working out and shower afterwards, never re-wearing used gym clothes.

Sorry to be nosey but your gym is quite clean right? You don't go to a sticky, horrible 1950s-style leisure centre!? :p:
    Yeah it's a private health club/Gym, so pretty damn clean. Of course i do all the obvious stuff suggested in this thread, was just looking for a few tips and tricks. What type of clothing is the most 'breathable'?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Do you take whey protein? Every time I took it I get massive break outs on my face and back, then I switched over to isolate and my acne was gone

seems like im not the only one either

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=554913

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluelight)
    gymming does increase acne because of the sweat blocking the pores.
    Sweat clears your pores the problem is that it contains amino acids, salts, lactic acid, etc which can cause the bacteria naturally found on your skin to overgrow.

One of the main causes of acne is testosterone and hormone balance - an intense lifting regime promotes testosterone production.

(Original post by Powka)
    Protein can usually cause acne. If you're serious about your training, and having shakes + bcaa (some other aminos), try stop it and see what happens.
    If protein caused acne every man and his dog would suffer from acne given that it is an essential component of our diet.

(Original post by Supfresh.)
    -Diet?
    Dairy products can be a big trigger for some, likewise simple carbs/sugars, saturated fats, etc can all have an effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    If protein caused acne every man and his dog would suffer from acne given that it is an essential component of our diet.
    Not protein as itself, I talked about shakes and/or amino acids supplements, if you didn't read my post fully. Next time do some research before posting something that's suppose to look this smart. Or ask a dermatologist, to save yourself some time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powka)
    Not protein as itself, I talked about shakes and/or amino acids supplements, if you didn't read my post fully.
    If you were really talking about protein supplements and only protein supplements be clearer otherwise you're going to mislead people.

(Original post by Powka)
    Next time do some research before posting something that's suppose to look this smart. Or ask a dermatologist, to save yourself some time.
    If you'd read my post fully you'd have seen that I mentioned that dairy products were a main trigger group of which most protein supplements fall under.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.