Turn on thread page Beta

job seekers allownace watch

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview tomorrow after a long phonecall with the job centre people last week. I imagine it should be a depressing experience.

Haven't been able to find a job since I had some temping work at around Christmas time.

However, im a little confused after reading some posts from people who said they were told that they couldn't recieve benefits as they 'hadn't paid enough in national insurance contributions'?
    How can this be?
    Some People go on the dole at a young age having never worked??
    i've had lots of jobs, but what can i do if i am told this??

Also, im not really sure what to say when they ask me what type of work im looking for. I dont really know. Ive only really worked as office admin and various warehouse jobs, although hated them all. Do I have to write down jobs like that, as thats all i really know?

ReputationRep:
    ignore the crap people have said about national insurance contributions, thats bs, you can get JSA.

Just say what your looking for, you can say you want to work for nasa if you want, it doesnt really matter

ReputationRep:
    NI contributions are needed for Contribution based JSA - Income based JSA may be reduced on the basis of your household income etc ...

ReputationRep:
    quite a depressing experience yeah, but you gotta do what you gotta do, take it easy and chill when talking to them, say whatever you like, treat 'em however you like, they'll treat you that way soon enough...

they are good individuals/people, but as collective governmental organisation it falls prey to the typical BS and longness that processes like this entail, it'll piss you off and depress you even more so get ready for it, you just want one thing from them and they are there to help you...it's their job so don't feel anyway about getting advice or in your general dealings with them

ReputationRep:
    If you're not living with a partner, and you don't earn any money at the moment, nor have vast swathes of cash at your disposal, you should be able to claim income based JSA. (NI contributions aren't an issue for this)

Good luck finding a new job!

ReputationRep:
    thanks.
    Im just concerned now that i may have picked the wrong option in the online application (contribution based JSA).maybe ill have to re-apply all over again, but this time for income based JSA? Sounds terribly inefficient, but I keep hearing horror stories like this!

Not looking forward to it, lol. Hopefully the 'interview' is painless enough. What about the actual 'signing on'? Do you all stand in a big queue, like cattle!!?

Do they ever help you find a new career, like learning a trade like plastering or something, paying for your training, or is that really wishful thinking!!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    NI contributions are needed for Contribution based JSA - Income based JSA may be reduced on the basis of your household income etc ...
    that only counts if you live with a partner

ReputationRep:
    sounds like someones been talking rubbish to ya
    and the appointments are fine because the staff are friendly and relaxed theyll go through it all with you clearly i always go with my mam
    I believe they can help with training, im sure some ones mentioned it, so go ahead and ask in the interview
    also theres no cattle like ques haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daytrader)
    thanks.
    Im just concerned now that i may have picked the wrong option in the online application (contribution based JSA).maybe ill have to re-apply all over again, but this time for income based JSA? Sounds terribly inefficient, but I keep hearing horror stories like this!

Not looking forward to it, lol. Hopefully the 'interview' is painless enough. What about the actual 'signing on'? Do you all stand in a big queue, like cattle!!?

Do they ever help you find a new career, like learning a trade like plastering or something, paying for your training, or is that really wishful thinking!!?
    no you wont have to reaply for it, they will check to see if you have made enough contributions and if not they put you straight on income based JSA

ReputationRep:
    Do JSA recipients get nat insurance credits?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Do JSA recipients get nat insurance credits?
    Yup, class 1 I think.

ReputationRep:
    back from my initial interview. Took about an hour and a half!
    It was certainly no day at the beach, but not quite as bad as i'd been told.

They seemed suprised that id actually had quite a few jobs. I imagine they must get people who have never worked and never intend to.

However, I dont understand how people are able to 'play the system' and stay on it indefinietly. Ive got 2 friends who dont want a job and have been claiming JSA for years!

With me, the guy was saying i had to sign up with agencies, and was talking to me about 'work trials' where tehy send me off to jobs that dont pay me any money, but i still recieve my benefits.

How come my friends haven't registered with any agencies? I hate agecies. They dont listen to your requirements at all and just send you off to any old job that you hate, just so that they can get a cut of your pay.

Is the resason they were quite 'pushy' with me, because I am new to it all?? Maybe its custom to 'lay it on thick' at first for the staff??

ReputationRep:
    I"m wondering if I can claim some sort of JSA as I am not working right now, but would love to be!, bet I cant though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    I"m wondering if I can claim some sort of JSA as I am not working right now, but would love to be!, bet I cant though.
    Stop wasting time posting on here and go and find out then!

ReputationRep:

Is the resason they were quite 'pushy' with me, because I am new to it all?? Maybe its custom to 'lay it on thick' at first for the staff??
    Yea, they don't want you feeling comfortable on the dole, they want to make you think that you'll be shovellingthe proverbial to encourage you to keep looking for a job.

If your still on the scratcher after 3/6 months, they'll send you on a pretty crappy training course of some sort.

Its no fun being on the dole, i found signing on each fortnight to be soul-destroying. Take the JSA for now, but keep on looking for some work.

Also, now that you're on the dole, make sure that you're getting any other benefitsthat your entitled to (housing benefit etc.)

ReputationRep:
    With me, the guy was saying i had to sign up with agencies, and was talking to me about 'work trials' where tehy send me off to jobs that dont pay me any money, but i still recieve my benefits.
    Dunno if you just paraphrased or if the guy actually described work trials like that, but they're not just working without pay. The idea is that you do a work trial as a sort of on-the-job interview where you spend a couple of weeks proving to the employer that you are able to do the job. Then if you have fulfilled the requirements for it you'll be given the job and a proper wage.

ReputationRep:

They seemed suprised that id actually had quite a few jobs. I imagine they must get people who have never worked and never intend to.

However, I dont understand how people are able to 'play the system' and stay on it indefinietly. Ive got 2 friends who dont want a job and have been claiming JSA for years!

How come my friends haven't registered with any agencies? I hate agecies. They dont listen to your requirements at all and just send you off to any old job that you hate, just so that they can get a cut of your pay.

Firstly, suggesting that you think most people on JSA are likely never to have had jobs or intend to find jobs, is revolting particularly during the current financial recession (albeit, situations are slowly improving).

Secondly, why don't you ask your friends why they haven't joined agencies rather than a forum of strangers why your friends haven't joined agencies.

Thirdly, do some research and stop faffing about on here! It'll be much more helpful for you.

ReputationRep:

Hey i work at a BDC (Benefit Delivery Centre) but work on the Employment and Support Allowance section. The work trials are there for you to get some experience about working so that you are ready if a job comes your way. There are two types of JSA Income based and contribution based, the person on the phone should have explained the difference, but i think cont. based gives more weekly, not too sure about it though as i think it's different with ESA and JSA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxwell205)
    Hey i work at a BDC (Benefit Delivery Centre) but work on the Employment and Support Allowance section. The work trials are there for you to get some experience about working so that you are ready if a job comes your way. There are two types of JSA Income based and contribution based, the person on the phone should have explained the difference, but i think cont. based gives more weekly, not too sure about it though as i think it's different with ESA and JSA.
    Contribution based and income based are generally the same amount, but both can be lower than the standard amount depending on the specific circumstances of the person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky57)
    Secondly, why don't you ask your friends why they haven't joined agencies rather than a forum of strangers why your friends haven't joined agencies.
    I dont need to ask them that, lol. They haven't joined agencies because they dont want jobs! My question was why the jobcentre people hadn't made them, like they appeared to be trying to make me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 12, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.