Turn on thread page Beta

job seekers allownace watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daytrader)
    I dont need to ask them that, lol. They haven't joined agencies because they dont want jobs! My question was why the jobcentre people hadn't made them, like they appeared to be trying to make me.
    We can't force people to join agencies, it's just highly recommended as it's probably one of the easiest things you can do since the agency does all the leg work.

ReputationRep:
    I dont need to ask them that, lol. They haven't joined agencies because they dont want jobs! My question was why the jobcentre people hadn't made them, like they appeared to be trying to make me.
    Re-read your original question and you'll realise your error.

ReputationRep:
    thanks.
    Im just concerned now that i may have picked the wrong option in the online application (contribution based JSA).maybe ill have to re-apply all over again, but this time for income based JSA? Sounds terribly inefficient, but I keep hearing horror stories like this!

(Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    no you wont have to reaply for it, they will check to see if you have made enough contributions and if not they put you straight on income based JSA
    Arrrgggg!! Looks like my hunch was right!

Went in today for my first sign on and the lady said there's a problem and that there weren't enough NI contributions and that my claim had therefore not been processed!
    She then gave me a HUGE booklet which I have to fill in and send away. It asks me all of the exact questions i already answered in my initial claim!

Its a joke. I dont see why they can't just change my selection with the click of a mouse and carry on processing it.
    I dont supposed that when it gets sorted, the claim gets backdated to my initial claim date?? looks like im gonna miss out on another 2 weeks JSA.

To make things worse, I just got a rejection email for a job i aplied for...

ReputationRep:
    Arrrgggg!! Looks like my hunch was right!

Went in today for my first sign on and the lady said there's a problem and that there weren't enough NI contributions and that my claim had therefore not been processed!
    She then gave me a HUGE booklet which I have to fill in and send away. It asks me all of the exact questions i already answered in my initial claim!

Its a joke. I dont see why they can't just change my selection with the click of a mouse and carry on processing it.
    I dont supposed that when it gets sorted, the claim gets backdated to my initial claim date?? looks like im gonna miss out on another 2 weeks JSA.
    Jobcentre's can't do anything to change a claim so BDC's need to do it. Since your initial claim was wrong, all that information is discarded since it's irrelevant to a new claim, hence the JSA3 you had to fill out (I'm assuming the booklet you mentioned is one of those since everyone who is given one thinks it's huge and something from the pits of hell!).

You can ask for it to be backdated, but since it was your mistake they may not allow it. You'll just have to cross your fingers.

ReputationRep:
    Im claiming JSA and had my first signing on session this week as signed up last week. Just wondered when do I get money. I know its got 3 days etc to clear through the bank but my meeting was Tuesday and still nothing. Does it go in the week after signing on or,..............???? Im rather confused as noone explained it to me?
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mad-cow18)
    Im claiming JSA and had my first signing on session this week as signed up last week. Just wondered when do I get money. I know its got 3 days etc to clear through the bank but my meeting was Tuesday and still nothing. Does it go in the week after signing on or,..............???? Im rather confused as noone explained it to me?
    xxx
    If it's a new claim there's a good chance that the claim hasn't been fully built yet. In that case you won't get any money until it is, but it will be back dated.

You are right it in thinking it should be in today since payments take 3 working days, but like I say, the claim might not be completed. The only other reason that it hasn't gone in is they forgot to put a 470 through when you signed.

If you want to know for sure the best bet is to phone benefit enquiries. They'll be able to look at your claim and tell you the exact reason.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gateshipone)
    If it's a new claim there's a good chance that the claim hasn't been fully built yet. In that case you won't get any money until it is, but it will be back dated.

You are right it in thinking it should be in today since payments take 3 working days, but like I say, the claim might not be completed. The only other reason that it hasn't gone in is they forgot to put a 470 through when you signed.

If you want to know for sure the best bet is to phone benefit enquiries. They'll be able to look at your claim and tell you the exact reason.

Hope that helps
    Thanks. May give them a ring on Monday. Can I ask what the 470 thing is? Hopefully will find out on Monday
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gateshipone)
    Jobcentre's can't do anything to change a claim so BDC's need to do it. Since your initial claim was wrong, all that information is discarded since it's irrelevant to a new claim, hence the JSA3 you had to fill out (I'm assuming the booklet you mentioned is one of those since everyone who is given one thinks it's huge and something from the pits of hell!).

You can ask for it to be backdated, but since it was your mistake they may not allow it. You'll just have to cross your fingers.
    cheers.
    Just that if I had have known that they were gonna start a whole new claim, I would have played it safe and selected income based JSA in the first place. I chose the other one because ive worked for years, just not much in the last year or so.
    I know its my own fault but, although judging from the responses i got from others in this thread, everyone else also thought that they would correct it at their end automatically once they saw i didn't qualify. I Guess not....

Im gonna make sure I stay on JSA slightly longer than necessary now, as to get the wasted 2 weeks back, lol/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mad-cow18)
    Thanks. May give them a ring on Monday. Can I ask what the 470 thing is? Hopefully will find out on Monday
    xxx
    470 is the code we type in to say you've signed and that payment can be released.

cheers.
    Just that if I had have known that they were gonna start a whole new claim, I would have played it safe and selected income based JSA in the first place. I chose the other one because ive worked for years, just not much in the last year or so.
    I know its my own fault but, although judging from the responses i got from others in this thread, everyone else also thought that they would correct it at their end automatically once they saw i didn't qualify. I Guess not....

Im gonna make sure I stay on JSA slightly longer than necessary now, as to get the wasted 2 weeks back, lol/
    I don't know how many years you have to work to be entitled to contribution based. That's all done by the magical people on the phone so I don't need to know where I am! It's always best to go with income based when applying unless you know for sure you're able to get contribution based.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 12, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.