Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Since strongman isn't really that popular and I haven't got a clue why because loads of people are into the gym and are impressed by strength in everyday life....but for some reason strongman isn't popular.

So I'm going to post some good strongman events

Arnold classic 2006-pretty much a perfect line-up..probably the best line-up in any strongman event ever. You can obviously work out how to find the rest of the other parts.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu_2Rgtn8Sc

WSM-04-you'll need to dload this but well worth it
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KP9W875M

WSM-09 final is on tomorrow night on bravo around 8-9 0 clock time...should be a great final...strongest line-up probably ever for WSM..definitely since 04 where I personally think the line-ups in 05-08 have been pretty piss poor for what they could of been due to the split.

ReputationRep:
    Beats me why its so unpopular, problem is alot of people go to the gym because they want to look like they're strong. Subsequently, they know **** all, gain no mass and then claim the reason they didn't gain any weight is because they were training for strength, even though they fail to bench more than 70kg.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Uh, strongman is pretty popular. The competitions have a larger amount of spectators than powerlifting and bodybuilding I think. It's not popular amongst much gym goers, though, probably because it's such a rarity that gyms have the equipment. And also, as Bish says, most people want to look strong rather than be strong. Show someone (usually a 160lber) a routine that doesn't have 5 lifts for chest and you'll no doubt hear "I train for mass not strength".

ReputationRep:
    Plus a lot of gym goers attitude is 'he only lifts a lot because he's fat' or 'I want abs and biceps'......I don't think they have any real clue of the kind of lifts they're doing as well because the lifts in strongmen aren't done by most regular gym goers. I mean when someone does a 400kg+ deadlift they're not impressed because they've never done deadlift so have no point of reference. Strongman refuses to have bench press style events because they think it's a crap test of strength and that's the only thing a regular gym goer has for point of reference.

I still don't get why people aren't really interested in it...I mean I have a friend who is naturally strong....goes to the gym kind of...very on and off like me...he loves arm wrestling and stuff...loves arnie and is impressed by physiques etc......yet he doesn't follow strongman or seem that bothered about it....he'd prefer to watch a youtube vid of a bodybuilder with a vest on doing light weights and high reps that is ripped....than some monster of a bloke deadlifting 430kg.

I've always been more interested in physical limit sports my fav sport is sprinting and 2nd fav is probably strongman......but I obviously end up watching more football and tennis which I do like and see strongman as a sort of a rare treat when I watch it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    WSM 1983 where they do the close up on the man in tight white trousers' crotch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Uh, strongman is pretty popular. The competitions have a larger amount of spectators than powerlifting and bodybuilding I think. It's not popular amongst much gym goers, though, probably because it's such a rarity that gyms have the equipment. And also, as Bish says, most people want to look strong rather than be strong. Show someone (usually a 160lber) a routine that doesn't have 5 lifts for chest and you'll no doubt hear "I train for mass not strength".
    not really....pretty much all the strongman have a job because there is no money in strongman unless you're basically winning the WSM and usually the winners have still got jobs. I'd say the ones that haven't are Savickas and Pudz......pudz left strongman to make more money else where in MMA. So that leaves Savickas who probably gets the big chunk of his money from winning the arnolds.

Bodybuilding got a lot more money in at the very top...agree about powerlifting though that's even worse off than strongman....but it's a lot less harder to market and less entertainment for regular tv watching people at home. strongman events are actually a good watch....plenty going on plenty of events.....lots of WR's....people going head to head....against the clock or chasing numbers...the works.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    not really....pretty much all the strongman have a job because there is no money in strongman unless you're basically winning the WSM and usually the winners have still got jobs. I'd say the ones that haven't are Savickas and Pudz......pudz left strongman to make more money else where in MMA. So that leaves Savickas who probably gets the big chunk of his money from winning the arnolds.

Bodybuilding got a lot more money in at the very top...agree about powerlifting though that's even worse off than strongman....but it's a lot less harder to market and less entertainment for regular tv watching people at home. strongman events are actually a good watch....plenty going on plenty of events.....lots of WR's....people going head to head....against the clock or chasing numbers...the works.
    What's that got to do with the amount of spectators at competitions? Have you ever watched WSM, the Olympia and a powerlifting contest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    What's that got to do with the amount of spectators at competitions? Have you ever watched WSM, the Olympia and a powerlifting contest?
    Yeah I've probably seen every WSM since the early 90's...always watched it as a lad with my dad....I saw a couple from the 80's that bravo shown...seen many more events on eurosport and seen a few arnolds on youtube.

Olympia I've seen pumping iron....plus total rebuild...and then I've seen clips on youtube...yes it's not on tv but I don't think it's a particularly entertaining event and most people just think they're freaks....I can see why people wouldn't want to watch oiled up blokes in thongs prancing about.....I can't see why people(basically lads) wouldn't want to watch strongman, especially if they have an interest in weights. Saw a bit of a stream on bb.com as well

Never seen a powerlifting events....just seen lifts on youtube.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Plus you're comparing it to really unpopular sports/events. IMO strongman should be up there with the most popular sports......the WSM should be hyped up like 100m final..........Fastest man on the planet....strongest man on the planet.....they're the 2 big titles. It's the 2 titles that bring the most respect(plus probably world heavyweight boxing champ if undisputed)..I don't get why people aren't fascinated by it. I mean at school everyone knew who was the fastest, everyone would watch 100m at school in awe...likewise lads would arm wrestle and see who was the strongest etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I still dont think this translates into a wide audience for strongman, I remember watching a vid with Derek Poundstone traing chest alongside Evan Centopani, even Poundstone was talking about how hard he finds gaining sponsorship. Whilst IFBB event are not exactly televised showcases, bodybuilding itself encompasses many other areas of sports and entertainment. There are about six purchasable bodybuilding publications in the UK whereas there are only about two for powerlifting/strongman, you then have the "lite" (aka ********) publications for those who want to gain muscle but never will and waste time looking at the "latest hollywood workout". They're actually incredibly popular in the UK with Muscle & Fitness and MensFitness experiencing bumper sales in 09. Strongman is still a niche due to the fact that only really serious people partake in it, hence the lack of popularity.

ReputationRep:
    Watch WSM every year, wish more SM, PL etc. was televised.

ReputationRep:
    Savickas deadlifting....what a Beast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bADPG...layer_embedded

ReputationRep:
    I remember me and my brothers all used to watch and love WSM when we were kids. Our parents and friends thought we were strange.

That was back when Magnus Magnusson was winning everything.

ReputationRep:
    god it must be so annoying being that strng.

Having to set up all those plates time and time again :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    Savickas deadlifting....what a Beast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bADPG...layer_embedded
    your original post, before you edited - I was like "that aint pudz isit?!"

haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    god it must be so annoying being that strng.

Having to set up all those plates time and time again :O
    Hah. Not as annoying as having to take them all off again after you're done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by commandant)
    your original post, before you edited - I was like "that aint pudz isit?!"

haha
    I know yeah...I don't like pudz either and love savickas! bad mistake to make.

ReputationRep:
    Savickas is terrifyingly strong. The way he overhead presses weights that the other guys can't handle with barely any leg involvement is just phenomenal - and he's got a beast of a deadlift to boot!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.