Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 12 studying Maths, Chemisty, Biology and ICT at AS level. I'm going to study Maths, Chemistry and Biology to A2.

I'm thinking about taking Optometry at uni- but I really need the opinions of people that have done it.

Do you enjoy the course?
    How much of the content is physics based?
    Which uni do you go to- do you recommend it?
    What sort of salary do you expect to get?
    I've read that there are 600 new Optometry graduates a year which is triple what it used to be- do you think that means there will be less demand by the time I graduate? Do you think it will be hard to find a job?
    Do you know any Optometrists- do they get bored of it?

Thank-you!

ReputationRep:
    No Optometrist students out there?

ReputationRep:
    There are a few about, but I guess they haven't seen this thread.
    Anyway I'm applying for optometry so I haven't started the course obviously, but I'll answer this based on what my cousin told me about his experience in the course (he did optom at Manchester):

Do you enjoy the course? He did.
    How much of the content is physics based? There is quite a bit, apparently a lot of it is A-Level stuff, which is why you don't need to do it at A-Level since you'll do it on the course anyway.
    Which uni do you go to- do you recommend it? He went Manchester and recommended it (I got rejected, though I don't mind as I got an offer from my firm, Aston).
    What sort of salary do you expect to get? Umm average is around 40k, it can go higher than that obviously when you're at the top end, and be low when you start out.
    I've read that there are 600 new Optometry graduates a year which is triple what it used to be- do you think that means there will be less demand by the time I graduate? Possibly.
    Do you think it will be hard to find a job? Nah, a lot of the uni's have 90% + employment rate (Aston having 100% I think), so it shouldn't be difficult at all.
    Do you know any Optometrists- do they get bored of it? Nah, my cousin is still on the course so he obviously isn't an optometrist yet, and I don't know any others.

Hope that helped.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot! I've just been talking to someone who works with optometists tonight and he recommended it. I'm a bit worried about the physics part though. It's not exactly my favourite subject :/

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.