Turn on thread page Beta

if you only do one year of an undergrad, do you still get any kind of qualification? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've messed up uni for ages and only done one full year (well 2 from different degrees...) :eek3:

if I quit will I get any kind of qualification still???!!!!

wasted so much money to get nothing...

thanks people

ReputationRep:
    Errrr. Well you get 120 credits for a year if you pass. Then technically you can use these later and only do 2 years of a degree, but they would have to be modules that match the modules of the first year of your new degree if that makes sense??

ReputationRep:
    Well your first year doesn't count towards your degree classification so you couldn't say you got a Level 1 BA or whatever but like caffee said you could use the credits later to go straight into the 2nd year of another course.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think after one year and the necessary number of credits, you become eligible for a certificate of higher education (which isn't really worth an awful lot, to be honest, but it's certainly better than leaving with nothing at all).
    (Original post by River85)
    x
    You're much more knowledgeable on this than me, River. What's the exact situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    I think after one year and the necessary number of credits, you become eligible for a certificate of higher education (which isn't really worth an awful lot, to be honest, but it's certainly better than leaving with nothing at all).
    Yes it is. It's still a higher education qualification and is something that can be built upon in the future.

I think this varies slightly by degree and university. But after completing level one (first year) a student can get a certificate of higher education, completing second year is equivalent to a diploma of higher education and third year the actual degree.

So even if you've only completed the first year, you should be able to get a certificate. Some universities might want you to pass all 120 credits at level one in order to get a certificate, others will stipulate 100. I know here at Durham it's 100 credits for a certificate and 200 credits, with at least eighty of those post-level one, for a diploma)

How many credits do you have? You said you've completed level one on two different degree courses? Is so that should be 240 level one credits (two "first years" is you know what I mean?) If so, you should be entitled to at least one certificate of higher education. You can then chose to keep the certificate as its own qualification or transfer the credit to another degree including one at the Open University. This means you can possibly go straight into second year.

However, you can usually only transfer a maximum of 120 level one credits to another degree. So if you have completed two first years then you can't use all of this new credit for a new degree. But even then you can use one completed first year and use as that to claim a certificate, then use the second completed first year's credit to transfer elsewhere if you want to.

Sorry, I've probably complicated things. If you can let me know exactly how many credits you've passed I'll try and explain better once I'm back tonight. :hat2:

But if you don't mind me asking, what sort of problems are you having? Why are you considering leaving? Always try and speak to someone at the university if you're having problems. Even if you are going to leave they should be able to inform you of the university's own regulations and what award you're eligible for.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.