Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Prospective arch and anther at Oxbridge - I AM IN LOVE WITH THE COURSE.. I know i will get slated for asking this and told 'it doesn't matter', but what grades should you be aiming for if you want to do Arch and Anth at Oxbridge? The GCSEs, AS' and A levels of current Oxbridge students would be much appreciated. Also... any suggested reading? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JEDWARD)
    Prospective arch and anther at Oxbridge - I AM IN LOVE WITH THE COURSE.. I know i will get slated for asking this and told 'it doesn't matter', but what grades should you be aiming for if you want to do Arch and Anth at Oxbridge? The GCSEs, AS' and A levels of current Oxbridge students would be much appreciated. Also... any suggested reading? Thanks
    Hugh Laurie did this! Best of luck to get in
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by JEDWARD)
    They are very different courses - which one did you mean?

I got in to the cambridge one. I literally can't wait to start, it sounds SO interesting.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Anthropology_3

Thats my personal statement and Uni/grades info. I got pretty high UMS marks (96%+ in all subjects), and I think Cambridge are pretty hot on module marks, so that might have helped me...

I think the most important thing is passion for the subject, which you can prove in your reading and looking at different peoples' ideas, forming your own opinion about them. Only read what you're interested in, though. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer to study Arch and Anth at Oxford a few months ago. I'm also absolutely and totally in love with the course, if I wasn't I probably wouldn't even have even thought of applying to Oxford (comprehensive attending low income family Northener that I am! They don't care about that sort of thing, by the way.) I'll try to give you as much info as I can. Obviously I can only talk about Oxford.

I don't know exactly what grades they want. I got 5A* 6A at GCSE and four As at AS. I'm predicted 2A* and 2As in my final A Levels. The offer was for 3As. I think with a subject that people are unlikely to have studied elsewhere your own reading and interest counts for a lot, and don't forget that your personal statement, school/college reference and interview also play a big part.

I found it tough to get hold of a lot of books, but here are some that I like: I'd suggest getting a copy of Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs and Steel." The Arch+Anth course is all about making holistic connections across both of the diciplines, and that book is great and doing that, and it's wonderfully written. Diamond has also written a book called "Collapse" which is a bit less chunky. There is a book called Antholopology and Archaeology by Chris Gosdon which I found useful. For the archaeology side you can't go wrong with THE Renfrew & Bahn book, a use textbook which seems to cover everything you will ever need to know about archaeology in general.

If you can manage to do some fieldwork of some kind then it will give you something good to talk about on your personal statement or at the interview. I didn't manage to get onto a proper excavation, but I had done a bit of fieldwalking which I talked about.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for both of your help and in answer to T-o dore's question I probably prefer the Cambridge course because i like the flexibility of the Tripos system. By the way your personal statement is AMAZING and I am interested in anthropology too. Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-o dore)
    They are very different courses - which one did you mean?

I got in to the cambridge one. I literally can't wait to start, it sounds SO interesting.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Anthropology_3

Thats my personal statement and Uni/grades info. I got pretty high UMS marks (96%+ in all subjects), and I think Cambridge are pretty hot on module marks, so that might have helped me...

I think the most important thing is passion for the subject, which you can prove in your reading and looking at different peoples' ideas, forming your own opinion about them. Only read what you're interested in, though. :yep:
    isn't it Dennett (not Dennet)?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by skagitup)
    isn't it Dennett (not Dennet)?
    Yes. :cool:

Luckily they focused on my take on their ideas, not the spelling of their names! That was a pretty stupid mistake though... I've read like 4 of his books as well!!

edit: ah yes I think I found where I got my wrong spelling from - a review done by another academic... so not ALL my fault hehe

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.