Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Ok first of all I have never been one of those people what go out and get smashed out of their faces, I drink socially, maybe one glass or two or a can of something. Once I'll admit I drank a whole bottle of wine whilst I was first discovering alcohol, but I have never drank till i have passed out.
    Thing is though every single time i have had alchohol, I have been sick. EVERY TME. Last night for example I went to a gig, had ONE can of strongbow and was puking on the tube all the way home. I drank a vodka and cranberry juice and some archers at a party last week and was sick. I am going to university in october and I really dont want this to affect my social life, I want to be able to enjoy a drink without the knowlege that my head will be down a toilet in a couple of hours, this is not a good way to make new friends.
    Can you even be allergic to alcohol???
    any help and advice would be greatly welcomed
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    you can, yes
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    A teacher of mine's husband was allergic to alcohol, but it used to make him go into anaphylactic shock...maybe you should get an allergy test?
    For the record, I don't drink out of personal preference, and nobody judges me for it. xD; I don't find it necessary to have a good time out.
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    You can be allergic to alcohol (I know someone who is), however it tends to manifest itself through the likes of a rash or a blocked nose.

    I suspect the issue is that the stuff you've been drinking doesn't agree with you (like me, if I have certain spirits or beers, I start to feel sick). My only advice is try other things. I started on alcopops (briefly) before becoming more adventurous.

    Also, as regards Uni, if it's been said once it's been said a thousand times, you don't have to drink to be sociable.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camisado)
    A teacher of mine's husband was allergic to alcohol, but it used to make him go into anaphylactic shock...maybe you should get an allergy test?
    For the record, I don't drink out of personal preference, and nobody judges me for it. xD; I don't find it necessary to have a good time out.
    I was thinking of getting a test, but I'm to embarrassed to go to the doctors, seems like a really trivial thing to go for. I would just like to enjoy the odd drink now and again without vomiting, but I will probably have to accept that maybe alcohol just dosent' like me
    Offline

    2
    (Original post by Charlisquigs)
    I was thinking of getting a test, but I'm to embarrassed to go to the doctors, seems like a really trivial thing to go for. I would just like to enjoy the odd drink now and again without vomiting, but I will probably have to accept that maybe alcohol just dosent' like me
    If you're vomiting every time you drink alcohol, you really ought to see a doctor. It's not normal, and abnormal things can have other effects. Given that seeing a GP is free, you really don't have anything to lose.
    Offline

    18
    (Original post by Charlisquigs)
    Ok first of all I have never been one of those people what go out and get smashed out of their faces, I drink socially, maybe one glass or two or a can of something. Once I'll admit I drank a whole bottle of wine whilst I was first discovering alcohol, but I have never drank till i have passed out.
    Thing is though every single time i have had alchohol, I have been sick. EVERY TME. Last night for example I went to a gig, had ONE can of strongbow and was puking on the tube all the way home. I drank a vodka and cranberry juice and some archers at a party last week and was sick. I am going to university in october and I really dont want this to affect my social life, I want to be able to enjoy a drink without the knowlege that my head will be down a toilet in a couple of hours, this is not a good way to make new friends.
    Can you even be allergic to alcohol???
    any help and advice would be greatly welcomed
    Some people lack the enzyme to digest alcohol. Often this is racial - chinese people for instance.

    Its not a problem, just don't have alcohol.

    If you see a doctor for this they will like slap you around the head. I would.
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlisquigs)
    Ok first of all I have never been one of those people what go out and get smashed out of their faces, I drink socially, maybe one glass or two or a can of something. Once I'll admit I drank a whole bottle of wine whilst I was first discovering alcohol, but I have never drank till i have passed out.
    Thing is though every single time i have had alchohol, I have been sick. EVERY TME. Last night for example I went to a gig, had ONE can of strongbow and was puking on the tube all the way home. I drank a vodka and cranberry juice and some archers at a party last week and was sick. I am going to university in october and I really dont want this to affect my social life, I want to be able to enjoy a drink without the knowlege that my head will be down a toilet in a couple of hours, this is not a good way to make new friends.
    Can you even be allergic to alcohol???
    any help and advice would be greatly welcomed
    That's not an allergy. It's entirely possible you have an acetaldehyde dehydrogenase deficiency, which manifests as acute nausea and flushing shortly after drinking even small amount of alcohol. Normally occurring in Asians.

    The only thing you can do is not drink. Not really an issue, and nothing a doctor can do.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Some people lack the enzyme to digest alcohol. Often this is racial - chinese people for instance.

    Its not a problem, just don't have alcohol.

    If you see a doctor for this they will like slap you around the head. I would.
    Why would the doctor slap me round the head. I'm sure my doctor enjoys a glass of wine now and again without the worry he will be sick. I dont want to go and get smashed, I would just like to drink a bit now and again thats all. As I said also, I wont go to my doctor anyway, obviously I can control this myself by not drinking.
    Offline

    18
    (Original post by Charlisquigs)
    Why would the doctor slap me round the head. I'm sure my doctor enjoys a glass of wine now and again without the worry he will be sick. I dont want to go and get smashed, I would just like to drink a bit now and again thats all. As I said also, I wont go to my doctor anyway, obviously I can control this myself by not drinking.
    Slap you around the head because you've already identified yourself that alcohol - which don't forget is a poison, makes you sick.
    What exactly would a doctor be able to do about that?

    Its like going to the doctor because your farts smell.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    I'm worse than you; I once drank 1/5 of a glass of archers and threw up :s After a few sips of alcohol I get a headache, it really isn't fun. I suffer from alcohol flush reaction I think I don't drink at all now I did at one point try building up my immunity, but I didn't think it was worth it, though this might work for you.

    Anywho check out the link below, its about alcohol flush reaction
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_flush_reaction
 
 
 
Reply
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reply
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.