Turn on thread page Beta

if you ever thought your live sucked, think again watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    I really genuinely hope you don't get in to medicine, as you seem to have no empathy, or any thought or knowledge about other people's suffering. Cancer is a truly, truly horrible disease and anyone who wishes cancer on themselves or anyone else is not fit, and clearly not able to care for other people.
    How can you want to go in to medicine and say something like that? How can you not understand what a horrifying thing that is to say?
    Pretty much agree with this, maybe you need to take a look at your career choice based on what you've said in your post. Why exactly do you want to go into medicine? Empathy and understanding is an important part of being a doctor and your thread shows no concept of those things and acting the way that you have in that thread towards a patient, isn't going to do you any favours. Also, as a doctor you need to be able to remain professional and leave your personal life at the door so to speak, no matter how you feel that day you can't let it affect your work, a concept which you clearly haven't grasped.

To be honest, I'm not sure that you're yet mature enough to be a doctor and I think that you not only need to work on achieving the grades, but also some of the basic skills and characteristics needed to be a doctor, there are some things they won't be able to teach you, you need to learn for yourself.
    As a doctor you can't just give up and leave the patient to die when something goes wrong, which is basically what you're saying you want to do with yourself. You have to ride it out, think on your feet and work to improve the situation, maybe you can start learning this for yourself.

You say you've done extra curricular activities to help your application, what exactly are these? Maybe you should stop whatever you're doing and do some volunteering with the sorts of patient groups you'll be working with as a doctor, a nursing home, a stroke group, as a HCA at a hospital or anything along those lines.

Basically, you need to seriously think about whether you really have what it takes to be in medicine and if you really want it as much as you say you do, really try instead of just giving up at the first hurdle. There are hundreds/thousands of other applicants out there who are willing to put in the effort to get the grades, the right skills and experience and they'll be the ones to get the places. It's easy when something goes wrong to think of all the negative and not think about the good but you can't let that drag you down, and as you've seen, saying you'd rather have a terminal illness is not going to gain you any friends, maybe look at yourself before questioning why other people may be distancing themselves.

ReputationRep:
    You need to learn about these places called Africa, the Middle East, Haiti and North Korea before you turn this into a "my life sucks harder than yours" competition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I literally detest my life.

There are so many reasons why, I'm like one of those ultra-pathetic kids who has so many issues you don't pick on them because you would just feel sad.

Let me rewind back

It all started off in year 11 I was really badly bullied in my science classes and stuff for ages but I didn't care how I looked or how **** my social life was or anything because I at least thought I was "clever". But then I got my gcse results and yes admitedly they were good but not for someone who has his sights set on medicine at imperial or ucl.

Now I know for most people this seems okay but when you live your entire existence for 2 years on the premise of getting 8/9A* and you don't believe me, its not nice.

Then I started year 12 taking chemistry, biology, maths and economics. Well I worked hard in my first term but I also did loads of extra-curricular activities in the hope of getting into med school so much so I got distracted from my A levels and failed the mocks in which I got Cs and Ds. Now my biology teacher who respected me and has known me for 2 years pities me. My chemistry teacher bullies me in one class I jokingly said to a class mate, "how did you get that" in your practical. and she said "lets be honest who are you to judge what anyone else does"

Everyone looks down on me I'm ridiculously skinny, I'm failing my A levels ( don't forget I won't be happy with anything less than 4A*) and my whole world has fallen apart in the last year. An aunt died suddenly leaving three youngish kids, my so called "cleverness" has faded away. I walk funny and am as insecure as.

My friends are literally getting more and more distant with me and I have no hope

My relationship with my family is **** as it is with the human race in general. I hate my father more than anything he has always hated me and beat me as a child, and likes my sister more than me.

I think I worked hard in the first term of AS and still failed.

All my dreams are tumbling before me and I just want to die.

and my whole happiness is based on getting 4As in AS so i can do medicine where I want to and actually be happy but thats been stolen from me too as its now february 3 ish months away from exams and im heading for Cs. I have so much pressure from my family to perform and I feel I'm so out of control of my life that the only way out is death. Everything I ever wanted or had hoped for has crashed before me and there is no hope for tommorow either because its just too damn late.

My whole year group gossips about me and how apparently "I'm being forced to medicine" and my parents "beat me" and i know everyone pities me. i wish i had cancer and just died.

you really dont have that much to complain about.
    mock results dont matte, i was getting E's even a week before my history exam and ended up with an A. results can be turned around.
    also you can get into either of those universities with much less than 4 A* and there are other good universities.
    Also you base your entire happiness on getting A's? no wonder your life is falling apart it sounds as if your neglecting anything like a social life, so no wonder your friends are getting more and more distant.
    get the walking thing checked out.

ReputationRep:
    i wish i had cancer and just died.
    Oh dear lord... :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    If a kid from Haiti were to read you're thread right now he'd tell you to **** off.

ReputationRep:
    Mocks mean nothing. I got an E in my french mock - A overall, D in my german mock - B overall, BB in History mock, AC overall, A in my philosophy mock - D overall...

Your life doesn't suck either. The only thing I pitied you about is your aunt, and even then I pitied her poor children more than I did you.

ReputationRep:
    get over yourself
    your life is NOT bad
    for god sake im sick of kids thinking they have it rough
    give up telling your sorry excuses and live your life
    stop moping around wishing you would die
    just because you got bad alevel results??
    give me a break

ReputationRep:
    It makes me so damn happy that everyone here is giving you links to great podcasts and amazing advice... i don't really know what to say because i am sure what i will say wouldve probably been said.

just go and fix things gradually... when you start studying and getting back up that ladder ... everything will get better. You can't say you want the 4 A* and just sit there and sink in your own sadness... just gotta keep going and studying....Its an equation really: You put in the work = You get what you deserve.

ReputationRep:
    People like you really annoy me. When you think your life sucks more than someone else's over some trivial matter like medicine (yeah ok, I've got into medicine but there are worse things to happen than not getting in) then you're clearly a little screwed in the head and to be honest there are probably reasons you won't get into medicine- imagine thinking your life sucks more than the parents of a child dying from leukaemia or someone dying of cancer.

A few weeks ago, my dad died of a heart attack. My friend at uni was going through some stuff with her boyfriend and kept coming to tell me how much her life sucked. I thought, wow, if I can say my life is good when I'm going through this grief, as I have never once dwelled on the idea of "my life sucks" then you must be completely unstable. It hurts to lose a parent so much, it hurts to see a parent have to live alone for the first time in her life because of the death of her husband, it hurts to have to delete your parent's phone number from your phone... but then I realise there are people worse off than me, and they're not saying their life sucks. Neither am I.

ReputationRep:
    Please let this be a troll. How sickening.

There are so many reasons why, I'm like one of those ultra-pathetic kids who has so many issues you don't pick on them because you would just feel sad.

Let me rewind back

It all started off in year 11 I was really badly bullied in my science classes and stuff for ages but I didn't care how I looked or how **** my social life was or anything because I at least thought I was "clever". But then I got my gcse results and yes admitedly they were good but not for someone who has his sights set on medicine at imperial or ucl.

Now I know for most people this seems okay but when you live your entire existence for 2 years on the premise of getting 8/9A* and you don't believe me, its not nice.

Then I started year 12 taking chemistry, biology, maths and economics. Well I worked hard in my first term but I also did loads of extra-curricular activities in the hope of getting into med school so much so I got distracted from my A levels and failed the mocks in which I got Cs and Ds. Now my biology teacher who respected me and has known me for 2 years pities me. My chemistry teacher bullies me in one class I jokingly said to a class mate, "how did you get that" in your practical. and she said "lets be honest who are you to judge what anyone else does"

Everyone looks down on me I'm ridiculously skinny, I'm failing my A levels ( don't forget I won't be happy with anything less than 4A*) and my whole world has fallen apart in the last year. An aunt died suddenly leaving three youngish kids, my so called "cleverness" has faded away. I walk funny and am as insecure as.

My friends are literally getting more and more distant with me and I have no hope

My relationship with my family is **** as it is with the human race in general. I hate my father more than anything he has always hated me and beat me as a child, and likes my sister more than me.

and my whole happiness is based on getting 4As in AS so i can do medicine where I want to and actually be happy but thats been stolen from me too as its now february 3 ish months away from exams and im heading for Cs. I have so much pressure from my family to perform and I feel I'm so out of control of my life that the only way out is death. Everything I ever wanted or had hoped for has crashed before me and there is no hope for tommorow either because its just too damn late.

My whole year group gossips about me and how apparently "I'm being forced to medicine" and my parents "beat me" and i know everyone pities me. i wish i had cancer and just died.

just thought i'd bold some parts that clearly show you're asian ... :ninja:

ReputationRep:

Let me rewind back

hi anonymous,
    you seen to be getting a lot of stick on here so dont worry i'm not going to give you any, just a little advice.
    firstly, yes, people on here are right to tell you that it is very very wrong for you to even be considering medicine at this stage in your development when you are as sheltered from the reality of human suffering such as that as cancer. I'm a bank HCA, and i've worked on haematology wards where teenagers and young adults are suffering horrible pain and couragously fighting to make it to their 20's.
    However, whar I will tell you is that A) i totally do not think that medicine is a dream you should give up on and B) I can promise you this time next year you will look back at this thread and wonder how you ever felt the way you do now!
    You need to go straight to your GP and find out what services there area in your are that can help you to deal with your depression, because thats what you have, no need to see a doctor to tell you that, whether its long term, medication required depression or short-term 'blues' depression, you have def got it! i suggest you take up sport a few times a week to try and help balance the hormones in your brain (i am no doctor just talking from experience so do see a doctor!).
    Coming back to the medicine dream, yes it is a dream for now, but it will soon one day be reality if you truely want it and for the right reasons. Did you know that an extremely high number of doctors are alcohol dependent due to the stress from their jobs? make sure you know what career you are about to embark on! you def need to address your depression problem first. As for your grades, you can always do 6yr at soton if you make an effort to fully research the career (by that i mean lots of work experience with cancer patients etc!!) also, im 21, and i only got bcc for a levels and i went another route to get the grades for med school. you are only young, and if you do only get b's and c's at AS, work your butt off and resit some units, pull your grades up to A's and B's then apply wiTH grades (and knowledge) in hand.
    about your social situation, to be a good doctor you need to be a good team player and a good communicator without doubt so you better start putting those skills to practice and find a way of communicating with your peers to widen your social circle. just be really nice and smiley and that always works for me!
    please don't feel bad about yourself, life is hard when your a teenager, but as you get older things do come into prospective and you will be glad to be moving forward and upward with life.
    hope everything works out for you.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine isn't all that hard to get into I don't think..

I think I saw in the Brighton prospectus that you can do medicine with ABB or something like that..
    You don't have to aim for the top; a degree in medicine from one place is a degree in medicine from another place, let's be honest. And besides, Brighton shares facilities with Sussex so you get some good stuff as well.

And to everyone being horrible to this kid: maybe consider that he/she is suffering from depression, which is an actual condition. People that are depressed will take a bad situation worse, which is why he/she is getting so upset on problems that seem trivial to you lot. Consider that if this person is TRULY suicidal then you're all contributing towards that through insults and criticisms. You don't have to be a starving child in Africa to be depressed! I heard a story the other day of a 9 year old kid fairly local to me who touched this girls bum, got told off by the teacher and his Mum and went home to hang himself in the bathroom. This kid was middle class and happy but some people deal with situations worse and I think you should all be incredibly ashamed of yourselves as you sit there in front of your computers feeling so powerful. Disgusting behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    People like you really annoy me. When you think your life sucks more than someone else's over some trivial matter like medicine (yeah ok, I've got into medicine but there are worse things to happen than not getting in) then you're clearly a little screwed in the head and to be honest there are probably reasons you won't get into medicine- imagine thinking your life sucks more than the parents of a child dying from leukaemia or someone dying of cancer.

A few weeks ago, my dad died of a heart attack. My friend at uni was going through some stuff with her boyfriend and kept coming to tell me how much her life sucked. I thought, wow, if I can say my life is good when I'm going through this grief, as I have never once dwelled on the idea of "my life sucks" then you must be completely unstable. It hurts to lose a parent so much, it hurts to see a parent have to live alone for the first time in her life because of the death of her husband, it hurts to have to delete your parent's phone number from your phone... but then I realise there are people worse off than me, and they're not saying their life sucks. Neither am I.
    my eyes fill with tears as i read your post. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope that you have a good support network around you to help you through this difficult time. I want you to know that I admire your spirit and bravery, and I know that you may not consider yourself those things because you didnt choose your situation, but your attitude towards your situation sounds only those things. Best of luck with your studies, and I know some people dont like religion but I always pray at night (christianity) if anyone ever dies during my shift and ask that their loved ones are protected and their spirits are able to rest. I will do this for your family. x

ReputationRep:

I'm really quite surprised that as a medicine student you haven't spotted clear signs of depression in the post.

Or are you more of a "stuff 'em full of pills" kinda person? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    OP - you pathetic ******* ****, we ought to grind you up for pet food or something. Whining like a little ***** because you're **** at school. All the "bullying" stuff sounds like ******** as well, frankly - you should just grow some balls.

ReputationRep:

:console: So sorry for you

I know what you mean though, my gran died over Xmas not as close as father I know, but I havent gone to peices, I just kept going. Some people can be very unstable of the smallest thing, which can be very annoying but they can't help it some people are just very fragile.

I just try to help though, getting mad doesn't help (but then I think I probably spend my time helping other people rather than addressing my own issues...)

ReputationRep:
    So basically, you got bullied slightly, you messed up your mock-exams which don't even count and you're skinny?

Yeah, sounds like reasons to die to me...:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Are you Asian?

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't have said that you wish you had cancer.

Maybe you could apply for special consideration for your exams because of the death of your aunt so that at least if you got a C/borderline B it would be raised to a B.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.