The Student Room Group

Empirical Formula Help

I'm unsure about the following question, which I do have an answer for that I don't think is correct:

8. (a) Calculate the empirical formula of a hydrocarbon gas which when analysed was found to contain 88.89% carbon and 11.11% hydrogen.

H=1, C=12,

(b) what is the displayed formula of the empirical formula?

For 8a, I got 1:32,1:\frac{3}{2}, which can be simplied to 2:3.2:3.

Therefore the empirical formula is C2H3, which I am aware is vinyl.. :confused:

As for 8b, the following would be the display formula for the above:

Would the above displayed formula be correct?
Reply 1
mathew551
I'm unsure about the following question, which I do have an answer for that I don't think is correct:

8. (a) Calculate the empirical formula of a hydrocarbon gas which when analysed was found to contain 88.89% carbon and 11.11% hydrogen.

H=1, C=12,

(b) what is the displayed formula of the empirical formula?

For 8a, I got 1:32,1:\frac{3}{2}, which can be simplied to 2:3.2:3.

Therefore the empirical formula is C2H3, which I am aware is vinyl.. :confused:

As for 8b, the following would be the display formula for the above:

Would the above displayed formula be correct?

I am very wary of this, are you sure your molecular formula is correct. Your empirical formula is simply the simplest ratio of your molecular formula, you can't anything complete with C2H3, but hey try C4H6(double that ratio), you get buta-1,3-diene! It depends on the molecular weight you are given.
Reply 2
Your calcs are correct, just done it myself and found the same answer, but I would suggest C4H6.

Vinyl is a functional group, not a structure in it's own right, it's used to form polymers, to be stable the structure would have to be C2H4.
All right guys, thanks for your help, I'm going to consult my chemistry lecturer about this today. Cheers

Latest