Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cell phones (mobiles?) in the UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey I've been accepted to Edinburgh's CVM and just wondering what cell phone companies ya'll have over there, and more importantly, which ones are actually good and decently priced?

Thanks y'all.

ReputationRep:
    Was there the need to put y'all in there? OK it's fine I suppose if you're speaking... :rolleyes:

Anyway there's Orange, T-Mobile, Vodafone, Virgin, 3 (which are rubbish) and O2 as the main ones, then there's Tesco Mobile and some other smaller ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ag-E)
    Hey I've been accepted to Edinburgh's CVM and just wondering what cell phone companies ya'll have over there, and more importantly, which ones are actually good and decently priced?

Thanks y'all.
    Depends, is the phone an AT&T one or a T-Mobile or a Verizion one?

CDMA phones like those from Verizion won't work here, we just don't have it here yet.

AT&T phones will work, but not with 3G, it has a different band, but you can still make calls (so, for example, an American iPhone will work here, but not with 3G data access, which negates the point of an iPhone, tbh)

T-Mobile phones, and those by other providers will work with full 3G as these run at the same band as we do here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactussed)
    Was there the need to put y'all in there? OK it's fine I suppose if you're speaking... :rolleyes:

Anyway there's Orange, T-Mobile, Vodafone, Virgin, 3 (which are rubbish) and O2 as the main ones, then there's Tesco Mobile and some other smaller ones.
    3 are not rubbish actually

ReputationRep:
    3 is getting better - the deals get more reasonable but the customer service is usually terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrluvaluva)
    3 are not rubbish actually
    Actually, they are.

ReputationRep:
    Was there the need to put y'all in there? OK it's fine I suppose if you're speaking...
    What exactly is the problem with 'y'all'?

Anyhow, it's from Verizon but I went to talk to them today and the guy said they don't do coverage over there. I take it they do?

Edit: Nevermind I misread. Yes, currently I'm set up with Verizon, which is why I think it'll be easier just to change companies (since they don't seem to exist over there) and get a new phone from scratch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJ4GK)
    Actually, they are.
    unfortunately you are mistaken

ReputationRep:
    I'm on Vodafone. £15/month for unlimited txts, unlimited Internet+email access, free calls to Vodafone mobiles and landline phones, and something silly 1500 minutes for all other calls.

Whether you can get that offer or not, I get signal pretty much everywhere. Orange has the best coverage in the UK, but in my experience, it's widely spread crap coverage; on Vodafone I get very good signal whenever I need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrluvaluva)
    unfortunately you are mistaken
    You could at least provide the OP with some sort of reason, instead of just saying, "They're ****." "They're not ****."

ReputationRep:
    Actually Vodafone is the company that Verizon recommended to me but I took it with a grain. Figured it was either A) Verizon's UK branch or B) a sister company and they'd recommend them any how regardless of merit.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.