Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How come the US is so patriotic (and we're not)? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogloom)
    Patriotism is so annoying. Just a way to disguise xenophobia.
    because you like being british, spanish, romanian or american you hate/fear everyone else? that doesnt seem to make sense, you can like something or someone without putting anyone else down.
    carrying mcoys?

Pretty much because the American Government have effectively mobilised Patriotism as a tool for blind support of their imperialistic policies.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
    Samuel Johnson

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshMcD)
    Haha I thought that was a bit OTT as well.

But WE WON, SO THAT'S OK!

I knew we would throw away our 17 point lead, and I thought we would lose towards the end, though with wales out the way I think we could win this thing (although Tim payne is a fat **** who needs to stay far away from england)

ReputationRep:
    Eh, I'm not so fussed on the patriotism thing.
    I don't feel anything for Britain apart from the facts that it's where I was born and it's got the NHS - I wouldn't mind moving elsewhere, to be honest.
    But I think that revolutions tend to help. We've had nothing to fight against, we're the ones who've always had control - having some greater oppressive power to fight against, no matter whether it's thirty or three hundred years, I think gives one some sense of pride in your country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    I knew we would throw away our 17 point lead, and I thought we would lose towards the end, though with wales out the way I think we could win this thing (although Tim payne is a fat **** who needs to stay far away from england)
    I thought we'd throw it away as well, we seem weak in the front row at the moment.

Watching France worried me today, they were absolutely sublime and their pack completely destroyed Scotland...

God I love rugby.

ReputationRep:
    We had this conversation in politics in friday and my friend summed it up nicely with it being an attempt to make up for their lack of history they dont have the past we do so they need to sing songs to convince themselves they are great.

Which was only topped by my techer refering to the "American Dream" as a nauseating bout of optimism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshMcD)
    I thought we'd throw it away as well, we seem weak in the front row at the moment.

Watching France worried me today, they were absolutely sublime and their pack completely destroyed Scotland...

God I love rugby.
    Its great isn't it I love 'super saturday' where they have 3 six nations games on in one day :coma: , although my gf does not :rolleyes: Currently trying to get into the superbowl, and at every tackle shouting 'GET IT OUT QUICKLY, MEN OVER...Oh yer ...' :p:

ReputationRep:
    Dogmatic and arrogant American people.

na i'm kidding, i think it's just drilled into the children's heads.

ReputationRep:
    coz they are **** innit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    Its great isn't it I love 'super saturday' where they have 3 six nations games on in one day :coma: , although my gf does not :rolleyes: Currently trying to get into the superbowl, and at every tackle shouting 'GET IT OUT QUICKLY, MEN OVER...Oh yer ...' :p:
    Hahah. HE'S OFF HIS FEET! THE *******!

Super Saturday is the greatest thing ever invented.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juliedrulie18)
    Well, actually.... We're not. I think sometimes people make a big deal about the patriotism, because, like you said, people want to know they made the right choice, and, also, for some reason, it was put into someone's mind somewhere along the way that if you aren't a super-patriot to America, you're sort of... treasonous...? But they play the pledge over the PA in the mornings at my school, and, like, one kid in each class actually says it :\ I don't know, I'm not sure being patriotic is necessarily a good thing, because it seems to have given most Americans the idea that we are superior... Only due to the fact that we hear a helluvalot more about how great our country is than we should..... I dunno...
    Thats interesting what you said about the pledge of allegance, when I was in school in America it was played each morning and if you didn't say it you were sent to the principles office. I changed schools for a year and in that school it was said in the morning and again after lunch.

In certain areas of America I think there is forced patriotism, which as you said, makes people think they're superior and if you don't show you're patriotic you're a traitor to the country. Kids are taught its wrong to say you aren't proud of the country so they grow up with the mentality of having to be overly proud of being American.

ReputationRep:
    The American patriotism I've witnessed always seems a bit blind and indoctrinated. I find the compulsory pledge of allegiance a bit sickening, too.

Don't mean to offend anyone - it's not like I've met every American, or that all Americans I've met have been like that.

ReputationRep:
    Patriotism is Racism.

Or at least that's the common view of the politically-correct retards that inhabit Britain.

ReputationRep:
    who are you kidding, us Scots are proud as ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Patriotism is Racism.

Or at least that's the common view of the politically-correct retards that inhabit Britain.

Though I can't generalize...that's not the case in the U.S.

Patriotism is patriotism. Racism is racism. These are two different things. There are, however, idiots who can't distinguish between the two.

Liberals and conservatives are all patriots. Whatever they argue for is for our country's best interests. Whoever you may be (liberal or conservative), if you don't show your patriotism, your argument is not valid...at least I think that's how everyone thinks in this country. I am sure it's similar...almost everywhere. I mean, who isn't patriotic? I just can't imagine.

ReputationRep:
    We have nothing to prove.

ReputationRep:
    British people are patriotic, just not as openly as the US. Indeed, it's been a long time since the sort of open patriotism you saw during the Falklands Conflict on the docks as the Task Force left the UK.

Our patriotism is such that we happily complain about the UK, but defend it to the bitter end if someone from abroad does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Because Americans are, for the majority, idiots whilst we're not?
    LOL

the irony..

ReputationRep:
    I am not too sure about the U.K., but I know that many European countries, such as Germany, emphasize races that are supposedly "native" to their countries. It makes it hard for immigrants, who may have lived in the country for decades and their children born and raised in that country, to be patriotic...because they feel excluded.

For example, just tonight, I was watching the Super Bowl with a bunch of my housemates. One of our housemates is new and he is an international student from Germany.

Initially, there were only two of us - me and the German international student - watching the Super Bowl. Then came other housemates. As other housemates started coming into the TV room, the German student said, "I can't believe there were only two people watching the Super Bowl and we are both foreigners." I was confused and so was my other housemate. Why? Because he was the only foreigner and...I wasn't. My other housemates are white-Americans (most are Jewish-Americans) and I am a non-white American.

I think it's hard for my German housemate to overcome this assumption that non-white people in the U.S. are also most likely - well, Americans. As an American, it's hard for me to assume that someone who is non-white would be foreign. Such assumption is hard to comprehend. I can't generalize Germans based on just our German housemate...but I can see how other nationals who grew up in countries that emphasize "native" races and differentiate their citizens and foreigners based primarily on their external appearances have difficult time overcoming this assumption...it's not his fault, obviously.

Whether you are white, black, brown or yellow, you can be an American and be patriotic and no one would doubt or undermine your love for the U.S. Again, I would like to avoid generalizing people, but this may be relatively more difficult for, for example, Turks in Germany or Pakistanis in the U.K.

This unique immigration culture in the U.S. allows for everyone to be patriotic without a doubt.

ReputationRep:
    Not answering your original question here, but I prefer how it is in the UK. leaves room for criticism of the government and a healthy democracy imo. plus, just cause the UK isn't as patriotic doesnt mean that british people dont appreciate things about living in britain right?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.