Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    O.K, I'm the same author of the 'Warning' about St Andrews. Now I'm starting to consider transferring again- has anyone else transferred from St Andrews University to another place? If so, please fill me in on how that went and so on. Lookign back at all the things I've said now- I'm as convinced as I was at Christmas that I just can't carry on here. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    aren't you in the second year though?
    I thought most transfers were from the 1st to 2nd year

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't you have to transfer to a uni with a 4 year course? Your selection might be limited..

ReputationRep:
    I think that at the end of this academic year, OP could transfer to start 3rd year at a Scottish uni, or into 2nd year at places which offer 3-year courses. So there should be options.

It would make sense to look for somewhere with similar research interests as what people in the relevant St Andrews department have, as what they teach is more likely to follow on from what you've done already. In terms of finding out which universities might be prepared to take you, I'd try to talk to someone involved in admissions in the department you're interested in. They'll probably be able to give you a good idea of if you'll be able to fit into the course, given your previous modules. You might have to be prepared to do some reading over the summer, to make sure you've covered any important gaps - telling them you're prepared to do that might give you more options

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Umiisadorable)
    O.K, I'm the same author of the 'Warning' about St Andrews. Now I'm starting to consider transferring again- has anyone else transferred from St Andrews University to another place? If so, please fill me in on how that went and so on. Lookign back at all the things I've said now- I'm as convinced as I was at Christmas that I just can't carry on here. Thanks!
    take a trip to student support

ReputationRep:
    You mean you're going to abandon a degree from a top university because you dislike the nightlife?

Get a grip...

ReputationRep:
    I think it's more responsible to take action and change to a course they like more than to stay at somewhere that doesn't suit them. It's not like they've only been here 2 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeterR)
    You mean you're going to abandon a degree from a top university because you dislike the nightlife?

Get a grip...
    LOL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    LOL.
    Explain your view please? St Andrews comes near the top in every major "league table", and even other metrics such as the recent RAE (research assessment exercise).

OP: I would advise you to speak to student support or your advisor, rather than asking the internet, on an issue like this. The sooner you speak to them the sooner you can get it all organised - and the sooner you can start enjoying your university experience.
    Good luck getting it all sorted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    Explain your view please? St Andrews comes near the top in every major "league table", and even other metrics such as the recent RAE (research assessment exercise).

OP: I would advise you to speak to student support or your advisor, rather than asking the internet, on an issue like this. The sooner you speak to them the sooner you can get it all organised - and the sooner you can start enjoying your university experience.
    Good luck getting it all sorted!
    I don't have to explain myself to anyone.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    You're clearly a moron, St. Andrews has been in the top 10 (top 5 for a lot of subjects) in the league table for years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinsula)
    You're clearly a moron, St. Andrews has been in the top 10 (top 5 for a lot of subjects) in the league table for years
    Clearly, sticks and stones and all that.

ReputationRep:
    Im transferring myself right now too, so I'll give you a brief account of how I went about it:

Email unis you are interested in, to see if they have room on their course for you. Also state what year you wish to transfer to, and give them your A Level grades/current predicted degree class so they know you will fit their basic requirements.

They will then email you back (hopefully) to say yes/no, and say what they require of you. I then had to apply formally via ucas after getting informal offers, so they can have a reference and personal statement. Im just doing all the ucas stuff now, my referee is taking ages!

Hope this is some help, I didnt want to rave on too much and make an uber long post. Good luck! x

ReputationRep:
    I was just interested in whether you believed St Andrews wasn't a top uni (as your post suggested) - but seeing as you can't validate that view you obviously don't hold it.

See you around!
    James

ReputationRep:
    LOL.
    I have behaved abominably. I ask you all to accept my apology for my rude and inaccutate posts. I have been through a bit of turmoil lately. I will completely understand if you hate me or neg me or whatever as a result of this. St. Andrew's is a world class university, one that anyone can be proud to attend although perhaps a bit quiet for my tastes.

Again sorry.:o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Umiisadorable)
    I just read your post about why you dislike st andrews, and I agree with everything you say. In fact, I'm also a second year looking to transfer out of this school! I'm looking at schools in the states, but as a non-american citizen I'm finding this quite tricky. Also we do fewer modules over here at st andrews, and I'm worried about having to do an extra semester to play catch up if I do transfer. Which schools are you looking at? I know the deadlines for american colleges are around 15 march - 1 april. Edinburgh doesn't seem to take in junior transfers. Have you looked into London? LSE might take people into direct second year, although it is very competitive.

Do let me know how your transfer process goes, it would be nice to swap pointers. I tried looking for advice from student support, but they have been very unhelpful so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rodarte)
    I just read your post about why you dislike st andrews, and I agree with everything you say. In fact, I'm also a second year looking to transfer out of this school! I'm looking at schools in the states, but as a non-american citizen I'm finding this quite tricky. Also we do fewer modules over here at st andrews, and I'm worried about having to do an extra semester to play catch up if I do transfer. Which schools are you looking at? I know the deadlines for american colleges are around 15 march - 1 april. Edinburgh doesn't seem to take in junior transfers. Have you looked into London? LSE might take people into direct second year, although it is very competitive.

Do let me know how your transfer process goes, it would be nice to swap pointers. I tried looking for advice from student support, but they have been very unhelpful so far.
    I am convinced that you're the same person as Umiisadorable. Both registered in Feb 2010, both have <20 posts, both of all your posts are in this thread and other anti-StAs threads...

It's obvious you're the same person Please don't quote "each other" and ask "each other" questions, it's embarrassing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    I am convinced that you're the same person as Umiisadorable. Both registered in Feb 2010, both have <20 posts, both of all your posts are in this thread and other anti-StAs threads...

It's obvious you're the same person Please don't quote "each other" and ask "each other" questions, it's embarrassing.
    Lol I was pretty shocked when I first read Umiisadorable's post at first because I was convinced that was myself, too. But no we're really not the same person (if you haven't noticed, I registered to post on the Ibanking threads but somehow discovered this thread...), although I would love to meet my doppelganger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rodarte)
    Lol I was pretty shocked when I first read Umiisadorable's post at first because I was convinced that was myself, too. But no we're really not the same person (if you haven't noticed, I registered to post on the Ibanking threads but somehow discovered this thread...), although I would love to meet my doppelganger.
    Hmm, ok. Sorry for accusing you

Have you read all this thread?
    And do you accept that your views are a (very) minority view?

I think there is a fine line between providing accurate information about a place, and deliberately putting people going to that place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    Hmm, ok. Sorry for accusing you

Have you read all this thread?
    And do you accept that your views are a (very) minority view?

I think there is a fine line between providing accurate information about a place, and deliberately putting people going to that place.

It's okay

I haven't read all of this thread, and I'm not sure about being part of that small a minority - I know of quite a few other second years who dislike this place just as much and are escaping on exchange programs next year. But I also know of people who love this place. It really depends on the person, St Andrews is not for everyone and I think it only works for certain groups of people (yahs come to mind...), and I think people applying deserve to hear the whole deal before deciding to commit four years to this place.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.