Turn on thread page Beta

Jools on the rise! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Hmmmm, thats like about £30 (?) per article. How much expenses can you "rip" off the old BBC?
    This Boxing Day I'm covering a party, 2 guestlist entries worth £30.

Beeb don't usually pay, they can just make sure I get on the guestlist, then often get free drinks from the manager if they want a good review

ReputationRep:
    oooo

you's going to be a star!!!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    I see that edders is contesting jools' point of view by suggesting that 'race' should not come into it. Wonder why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    This Boxing Day I'm covering a party, 2 guestlist entries worth £30.

Beeb don't usually pay, they can just make sure I get on the guestlist, then often get free drinks from the manager if they want a good review
    wow, can you get free entry/food about any restaruant/bar?

(Original post by Empedocles)
    I see that edders is contesting jools' point of view by suggesting that 'race' should not come into it. Wonder why?
    Although I only read the article quickly, I didn't really think what he said went against Jools' argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    Although I only read the article quickly, I didn't really think what he said went against Jools' argument.
    The article's title contains the word 'race'; the content of the article concerns race. Jools is suggesting that the low numbers of ethnic minorities at Oxford is cause for concern. Edders suggests race should not come into it. How does this NOT contest the line of Jools' argument?

The article's title contains the word 'race'; the content of the article concerns race. Jools is suggesting that the low numbers of ethnic minorities at Oxford is cause for concern. Edders suggests race should not come into it. How does this NOT contest the line of Jools' argument?
    The impression I got was that Jools' main argument was that admissions tutors should not be blamed for not taking race into account race, but schools/the government need to do more to nurture bright kids from ethnic minorites.

I don't know. I was never any good at comprehensions.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at all saying that race should come into the admissions process, but still believe the figures are a cause for concern. In the same way, you could highlight that it's worrying eg 90% of a certain well paid job are male, whilst maintaining that being male or female shouldn't come into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I'm not at all saying that race should come into the admissions process, but still believe the figures are a cause for concern. In the same way, you could highlight that it's worrying eg 90% of a certain well paid job are male, whilst maintaining that being male or female shouldn't come into it.
    to clarify for myself, are you basically saying that more students from ethnic minorities should be encouraged to go to university,

however race should not be a factor for acceptance / rejection?

If so then i agree with you.

How did you start writing for the Guardian / BBC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    to clarify for myself, are you basically saying that more students from ethnic minorities should be encouraged to go to university,

however race should not be a factor for acceptance / rejection?

If so then i agree with you.

How did you start writing for the Guardian / BBC?
    Yeah I am. It's quite a difficult thing though to explicitly encourage minority groups and diversity whilst also saying they won't discriminate either way. I've tried to stay away from the Access Scheme / Target Schools / ethnic diversity campaigns and work as it's portrayed as positive discrimination. People assume they favour minority students to dispell the white middle-class image, but the stats suggest this is far from the case.

Education Guardian focus perhaps too much on Oxford-related stories, but welcome writing particularly from editors and news editors of the country's main student papers. What's easier to get into is BBCi - go to the Where I Live section eg bbc.co.uk/london, bbc.co.uk/tees, if you prove yourself as a good writer they welcome contributions especially for music reviews as it's seen as a community/'your' website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Yeah I am. It's quite a difficult thing though to explicitly encourage minority groups and diversity whilst also saying they won't discriminate either way. I've tried to stay away from the Access Scheme / Target Schools / ethnic diversity campaigns and work as it's portrayed as positive discrimination. People assume they favour minority students to dispell the white middle-class image, but the stats suggest this is far from the case.

Education Guardian focus perhaps too much on Oxford-related stories, but welcome writing particularly from editors and news editors of the country's main student papers. What's easier to get into is BBCi - go to the Where I Live section eg bbc.co.uk/london, bbc.co.uk/tees, if you prove yourself as a good writer they welcome contributions especially for music reviews as it's seen as a community/'your' website.
    Could you say more on why you think ethnic minorities are under represented at Oxford? In your piece you mention stereotyping by teachers; do you consider this to be a significant factor?

ReputationRep:
    Could you say more on why you think ethnic minorities are under represented at Oxford? In your piece you mention stereotyping by teachers; do you consider this to be a significant factor?
    Not a fundamental factor but possibly quite influential.
    Other reasons include the ongoing white public school middle class stereotypes that remain firmly rooted, the lack of some groups in higher education ie 6th form, (feeling) being treated differently by those in authority... This is a good article explaining reasons - Gifted but Black

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Not a fundamental factor but possibly quite influential.
    Other reasons include the ongoing white public school middle class stereotypes that remain firmly rooted, the lack of some groups in higher education ie 6th form, (feeling) being treated differently by those in authority... This is a good article explaining reasons - Gifted but Black
    Yes, a good article. However, all of this relates to students in their school/college years. Anyone suffering from the influences you mention at this age will not even apply to Oxford. The statistics you quote in your piece all relate to Oxford applicants (presumably very strong candidates on a par with their white counterparts). Thus the poor acceptance rate is purely an Oxford issue and does not apply to earlier years, as all those ethnic minorities who apply are the success stories. Edders says race SHOULDN'T come into it and you're saying race DOESN'T come into it. So regarding admissions at Oxford, do we conclude that race is an issue, but racism isn't?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, a good article. However, all of this relates to students in their school/college years. Anyone suffering from the influences you mention at this age will not even apply to Oxford. The statistics you quote in your piece all relate to Oxford applicants (presumably very strong candidates on a par with their white counterparts). Thus the poor acceptance rate is purely an Oxford issue and does not apply to earlier years, as all those ethnic minorities who apply are the success stories. Edders says race SHOULDN'T come into it and you're saying race DOESN'T come into it. So regarding admissions at Oxford, do we conclude that race is an issue, but racism isn't?
    But many of these people apply because they feel they are good enough. These non-whites may have great grades and be just as capable as their white counterparts, but the symptoms these people suffer from an early age will probably be shown up greatest in an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I didn't for that one as it's a one-off. I only get expenses for BBC work too... not too bothered, not really in it for the money.

Journalism pay isn't great, it's 10-20p per word, and you're far from guaranteed daily publications unless you're bigtime.
    But it wouldn't hurt a future journalist career having your name banded about the media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veedy)
    Just read it properly, there's also a quote from Edders!
    i saw it.....rather sad edders was rejected, we have the same sort of system in america

ReputationRep:
    Well done on the article we have a star amongst us

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.