Turn on thread page Beta

Job seekers allowence facts HELP!?!? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm turning 18 in 2 months and ive been offered a unconditional place at university in september. Im currently not at college and havnt been for a year.

Im wondering is it possible for me to claim job seekers allowence when i turn 18 if i still havnt found another job, although i am going to university?

I'm thinking and have read previously that maybe i could just not tell them i'm planning on going to uni? What do you think?

Also.. what do they ask for when you go to apply and how long does it even take? Thanks alot guys

ReputationRep:
    theoretically no. You aren't available for full time work.

ReputationRep:
    But surely i am? I finished my previous job a month ago, and i won't be starting university for 5 months after i turn 18? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    yes, it would be fraud. but i doubt they will find out, although you will actually have to look for work, as at the 12week stage you have to show emails, letters etc to prove it. also if you live with your parents you cant claim untill your 18

ReputationRep:
    You're still technically in education. You can lie to them, but that's fraud.

ReputationRep:
    I can assure you, you are entitled to claim.

You are not in education, you are not working in any form of paid employment. You can claim jobseekers allowance on the basis that you are trying to look for work (obviously) and you can continue to claim right up until you start university. The fact you are going to university in september is irrelevant.

the process can be quite strained, you will need to go through a phone interview and a face to face interview, although it will be mainly asking security questions (national insurance details, where you live, any other benefits you claim etc etc).

Claim what you're entitled to!

edit: ta for the neg rep, anonymous repster :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moooz)
    I'm turning 18 in 2 months and ive been offered a unconditional place at university in september. Im currently not at college and havnt been for a year.

Im wondering is it possible for me to claim job seekers allowence when i turn 18 if i still havnt found another job, although i am going to university?

I'm thinking and have read previously that maybe i could just not tell them i'm planning on going to uni? What do you think?

Also.. what do they ask for when you go to apply and how long does it even take? Thanks alot guys
    Two forms of ID, NI number, lots of forms to fill in. Probably take a week or two to come through.

You should be able to claim until you start your course, I dont see why not.

Dont lie about anything though. If they find out, you will end up with a criminal record for benefit fraud :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers)
    I can assure you, you are entitled to claim.

You are not in education, you are not working in any form of paid employment. You can claim jobseekers allowance on the basis that you are trying to look for work (obviously) and you can continue to claim right up until you start university. The fact you are going to university in september is irrelevant.

the process can be quite strained, you will need to go through a phone interview and a face to face interview, although it will be mainly asking security questions (national insurance details, where you live, any other benefits you claim etc etc).

Claim what you're entitled to!

Thank You that is seriously helpful!!!

ReputationRep:
    they still owe me two weeks worth of JSA from november - they make your life as difficult as possible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moooz)
    Thank You that is seriously helpful!!!
    good luck with it, its a messy process!

ReputationRep:
    of corse u can, cos i am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moooz)

Yeah you can claim. Just specify that you're looking for temp work only and there shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 8, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.