Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in this course i had a look at on da Ucas site. It is a joint honours Bachelor but im not too sure on what that means. I am interested in Politics and History, so International Relations is looking quite attractive as a course. Plus i have always wanted to learn Portuguese, and i understand you can learn from scratch at the Uni. This is at Leeds Uni.

So could anyone get back to me on learning a language with barely any existing knowledge on it in Uni, and what the joint honours system ??

ReputationRep:
    Im doing joint hounors in languages at the minute, and basically joint honours means that you get two different degrees so for example you could get a first in both or a first and a third...they are marked differently, it isnt an average. As for learning a language from stratch in University, it is really difficult because the teachers arent as attentive as they are when you are in school. But I actually learned Portuguese in University and it is quite a hard language to learn, much harder than spanish in my opinion. To learn a language from the beginning in university takes real dedication and a lot of hard work..you have to practice the language everyday...but it can be an enjoyable experience!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your response, and im half portuguese but i can just understand some of it and can't write it. However, ive started learning the basics of it, then if i can attend lessons in summer ot sumfin, to be able to sneak a gcse b4 i go off to university as im in year 12 (and my skl offer free lang. gcse exams to those who can already speak it). If not i'll just learn as much i can, before university and to help me when on holiday.

ReputationRep:
    Well if your school offer a free language GCSE, and you feel that you have the time for it I would do it. But if you dont have the time, which you probably wont with A levels and all that, then I would not worry too much about not having a really high level of portuguese when going into uni, a lot of the people who have been studying french for 8 years in uni all had different levels in the classes. The main thing that i learn in my portuguese class is basic for the first semester and then the assignments start to fly in, in the second semester..10 minute orals and you have no idea how to say anything, but if you already have a good foundation you will be fine...also the fact that you are half portugeuse will obviously help you alot.

ReputationRep:
    fanks 4 ur response again that's great, and do they make you live in a portugal for a year to consolidate what your learning or something like that ?

ReputationRep:
    When you study a language they tend to make you study abroad especially if the language is the joint or major. You normally get to live in the country and work as an English assistant, or you can study there or you can get a specific job such as management.

ReputationRep:
    Fanks 4 ur response again. So what are the career prospects for this course and are you enjoying this course, particulary the International Relations ?

ReputationRep:
    See my answer in the Leeds Uni forum. You do a year in Portugal or Brazil, most people study since the British Council don't offer assistantships in Portugal.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 15, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.