Turn on thread page Beta

Confessions of a shopaholic on a student loan watch

It's like I have avarice-enough is never enough with me. I have a very modest budget but in the past have bought things that I don't really need-for example I currently own 2 pairs of converse and don't wear the first pair and own 3 leather jackets (all different colours but is there any point in having 3?!) And I can't stop spending money on little things like chocolate, pringles etc. Even now I want to get a new phone though my old one is perfectly fine. I think I will get a job, but don't just want to end up a spender. How do I save for things that I really want/need like a holiday/textbooks/nights out rather than frivolous things like chocolates, pizza (I'm in catered accommdation so no excuse!), a phone, new clothes etc....?

ReputationRep:
    You in first year?

ReputationRep:
    Borrow more money?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, set a weekly budget for yourself and follow it. If you go over the limit, 'punish' yourself lightly like showering yourself with ice cold water or something. It's all to do with discipline and self-control.

(Original post by Mirose)
    Firstly, set a weekly budget for yourself and follow it. If you go over the limit, 'punish' yourself lightly like showering yourself with ice cold water or something. It's all to do with discipline and self-control.
    Interesting punishment.

I feel that the :whip: would be more effective.

ReputationRep:
    apply for scholarships/bursaries etc or even a job

don't be silly and limit your spending, just get more money

also get a savings account, and dump your student loan/overdraft into that, then when you look at your bank account, you won't see the £2000 available, which personally just seems to egg me on to spend money

ReputationRep:
    Tame yo' self!

ReputationRep:
    Stop buying crap

ReputationRep:
    Avarice is more the love of money, then the love of new things. :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's like I have avarice-enough is never enough with me. I have a very modest budget but in the past have bought things that I don't really need
    I had exactly the same problem! I just couldn't stop myself from buying stuff I wanted when I saw it, including stuff I never wore or food when I wasn't hungry. It's like I was trying to get rid of all my money as quickly as possible. I couldn't stop myself and it is definetely easier said than done to say stop.

I don't really know what to suggest cos I know exactly what it is like, and most things to do with getting more willpower don't work. The only thing you can do is physically stop yourself from acessing the money like leaving your bank card at home so you can't spend more. or moving it to another account. that way you wean yourself off

ReputationRep:
    Just work out a budget and stick to it? But if that doesn't stop you then you could try working out why you spend so much money when you do - as in, do you spend money on stuff because your friends are, or do you just see something nice and buy it at once without thinking, or do you fancy going on a spending spree just for the sake of it when you're bored/anxious etc.? Once you've worked out 'triggers' (bit like how people who eat too much are told to think about when/why they eat, I suppose!) then you can work out how to avoid them, like waiting 3 days after you see a piece of clothing before going back to buy it, or going for a walk without any money before you can come back and go out to buy your Pringles or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    I'm like you, I spent about a grand of my loans on a HDTV ps3 and Wii.. :|

though I do have another 3 grand left to last until June, but that's beside the point.

ReputationRep:
    ugh. get what you need when you get your installment and give the rest away to a charity that means something to you.

ReputationRep:
    set yourself a budget, only pay for things with cash, write down everything you buy, and before you buy anything ask yourself if you really need it

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear,

I'm guilty of this!
    Now that I have a job and not relying on Student loans I've found myself spending more money...when you get into debt/overdraft it will knock some sense in to you. Especially when you want to go on holiday and your damn shoes/bags are staring at you and you realise without them you could be sunning yourself in Mexico.

Leave your bankcard at home, get a new card (cancel the old one and rip it up) so you can't remember the number and cheat. Save a little every month (I save £100 a month) in a jar and call it 'holiday' or whatever..when I try and dip in the jar I feel guilty as I'm taking away from my summer luxuries....

ReputationRep:
    I was like this, until I got £400 into my overdraft - I had a part time job, and I was waiting for my first month's wages to come through, hence, overspend! - and I realised that I was just being an utter arse.

The best thing I've learnt to do is when you're thinking about buying something, put it back down, and go for a walk around the shop, or go home first or something similar. It'll still be there when you go back, but you have that chance to really think about whether you want/need it or not. Chances are, you'll realise you don't need it at all.

ReputationRep:
    When I get mine I'm going to be like you, I know it:no:. I've already planned the first thing I'm getting...tattoos:sigh:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's like I have avarice-enough is never enough with me. I have a very modest budget but in the past have bought things that I don't really need-for example I currently own 2 pairs of converse and don't wear the first pair and own 3 leather jackets (all different colours but is there any point in having 3?!) And I can't stop spending money on little things like chocolate, pringles etc. Even now I want to get a new phone though my old one is perfectly fine. I think I will get a job, but don't just want to end up a spender. How do I save for things that I really want/need like a holiday/textbooks/nights out rather than frivolous things like chocolates, pizza (I'm in catered accommdation so no excuse!), a phone, new clothes etc....?
    Get a bank account that doesn't have an overdraft. Trust me, it will work better than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    There's someone who spent £100k of shady loans at uni. True story.

ReputationRep:
    Keep reminding yourself why you need it if you're tempted and tell yourself that you don't. I don't know if getting more money would work as that may mean more debt and that you haven't really resolved the problem if you're still spending.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.