Turn on thread page Beta

Confessions of a shopaholic on a student loan watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'd say set up two bank accounts - one where you get your student loan paid into and another regular account. Set up a standing order from the account with all your money in it with a very strict budget each week - if you're in catered accommodation, then maybe £50 or so? Destroy the card to the bigger account, and that way you have no option but to only spend your weekly budget.

ReputationRep:
    I am the samew... first year I wqas awful, got into debt.
    This year (final), I still spend too much :-/ but not quite as bad.

ReputationRep:
    Sound like one of my friends, no money, says to me he needs to save money, suggest we eat out this week :rollseyes:

I have got him to pay of the credit card and he isn't buying more clothes (though after a spree 2wks ago not too much of a triumpth), tis a start...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I managed to go through approx £2000 last term. (Works out about £200/week). Travelling and unnecessary spending - I impulse spent £35 on scarves and stuff one afternoon :facepalm:

I'd say just don't go out with your card(s), only take cash, and take a limited amount of cash. If you want something, LEAVE IT a day or two and promise yourself that if you still want it and can still justify buying it in 2 days then you can have it - a lot of the time you won't.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and food shopping. I promised myself I'm not going to buy any food this week as I have more than enough in my fridge/freezer/cupboard yet I'll go out and spend £20 on groceries and throw a load in the bin cause it's gone off because I went to BK or something :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    When i see something in a shop i think 'omg i so want' i walk out the shop, and go for a walk round the town for about 10 minutes, if by that point i still want it, i go get it! What usually happens is i end up forgetting, get distracted!

ReputationRep:
    Lol I pick things up to buy them, am half way to walking to the tills and then get hit by my conscience that says "you don't need this!" so then I look like a right fool as I pretend I'm going to look at something else and put them back. I always think I probably look really suspicious lol.

Food gets me. If we have bread at home it always goes off and I have to throw it out cos I've bought lunch at uni... or just not been hungry and haven't eaten.

ReputationRep:
    With material things, especially clothes, never buy them on the first visit. By all means, go window shopping, but if you see something you like leave it at least a couple of days before you go back. That way you have time to really consider whether you really need it. And it also spaces out your spending patterns, so even if you are still buying things, at least you're only spending every other time. Okay, sometimes things won't be there when you return, but that just saves you more money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's like I have avarice-enough is never enough with me. I have a very modest budget but in the past have bought things that I don't really need-for example I currently own 2 pairs of converse and don't wear the first pair and own 3 leather jackets (all different colours but is there any point in having 3?!) And I can't stop spending money on little things like chocolate, pringles etc. Even now I want to get a new phone though my old one is perfectly fine. I think I will get a job, but don't just want to end up a spender. How do I save for things that I really want/need like a holiday/textbooks/nights out rather than frivolous things like chocolates, pizza (I'm in catered accommdation so no excuse!), a phone, new clothes etc....?
    hahah I love how you include "nights out" in your need catergory

As for the spending, I have no idea, I'm the same, I just bought a pair of boots and then found them in grey so bought them for my grey days! (Then I saw the black pair and got the hell out of the shop!)

Maybe you could open up a savings or cash builder account and set up a direct debit with so much money a week or month so you start saving? Also, I would recommend only ever using a debit card in emergencies, having one makes it so much easier to shop!

ReputationRep:
    Lol I pick things up to buy them, am half way to walking to the tills and then get hit by my conscience that says "you don't need this!" so then I look like a right fool as I pretend I'm going to look at something else and put them back. I always think I probably look really suspicious lol.

Food gets me. If we have bread/sandwich stuff at home it always goes off and I have to throw it out cos I've bought lunch at uni... or just not been hungry and haven't eaten.

ReputationRep:
    everytime you see something you want to buy (luxury items that you dont need, just want) put the exact amount of money into a savings account. try doing it for a month or so, and it will show you just how much money you would have wasted on things you dont actually need.

im the same as you. i look into my wardrobe and i must have spent hundreds on stuff i dont wear/dont wear often. im a little better now, try to only buy things that i know ill wear loads and loads. but i realise now that it was making me unhappy rather than happy, i was angry at myself for wasting so much money that i could have used for much better things.

also maybe try having a big clearout, put things on ebay that you havent worn in the past 2 months. you'll feel better for clearing out your wardrobe of stuff you dont wear much and you might make a bit of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    With material things, especially clothes, never buy them on the first visit. By all means, go window shopping, but if you see something you like leave it at least a couple of days before you go back. That way you have time to really consider whether you really need it. And it also spaces out your spending patterns, so even if you are still buying things, at least you're only spending every other time. Okay, sometimes things won't be there when you return, but that just saves you more money!

oh and this! very good advice!!
    shopping for me is mostly about the impulse to buy something, even if im not 100% about it the shopping fever takes over and i end up with something im not that fussed about and probably will wear once, if that. i might try this advice out myself!

ReputationRep:
    i used to be like you, spending my money on silly little things most of which i never used but for me it was things like hair products, make up (why the hell i never know cause i dont even like make up) hair accessories etc one day i was in the bathroom and i looked around i had literally loads of (mostly) unused hair products, adding up i spent at least a good 50 or so quid on crap basically

then it came to a time i had to save for something i actually needed, a laptop, i didnt think i would be able to manage it but i had a word with myself and said that i NEEDED this laptop so i CAN NOT spend money on crap so instead of keeping the money in the house i would give it to my mam and dad to keep for me and in no time i had enough to buy myself a damn good laptop

now im saving for a treadmill so im putting away so much each month

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.