Turn on thread page Beta

Problem solving with the Samaritans. watch

Announcements

has anyone ever resolved their issues as a result of contacting the samaritans? -phone or email?

im currently emailing them, im not sure if its a waste of time. do they just have a bunch of stock responses that they cut and paste in as a reply?

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I phoned them once a good few years ago, they were entirely wonderful and I've volunteered for them since.

No the emails are responded to by real people, although if you're in need of more immediate advice or an ear maybe calling them would be a better idea?

ReputationRep:
    no, each one is personalised, its a real person at the other end. and they encourage you to engage in conversation. they helped me alot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    has anyone ever resolved their issues as a result of contacting the samaritans? -phone or email?

im currently emailing them, im not sure if its a waste of time. do they just have a bunch of stock responses that they cut and paste in as a reply?
    No they don't just copy and paste a load of responses, but since you are e-mailing them you can't really solve much (though it is possible to go in and see them). They are good at talking to you, but I found it annoying hoiw they just ask endless amounts of questions, but they are doing it to make you think a bit clearer.

ReputationRep:
    Well they can't fix/resolve your issues for you but they help you think them through from a different perspective and to talk about it.

ReputationRep:
    the emailing service is pretty good actually, especially if you're not comfortable with talking on the phone, like me. i'd give it a chance.. if it doesn't help then it doesn't help.. but what have you got to lose?.

i know i would get more out of it if i actually had a real conversation via phone or in person, but im too scared to do that. i once had councelling and jsut felt like it was an exercise in seeing how long i could talk for. i really dont need that again.

i think id benefit most from a hug. they should set up hugging booths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i know i would get more out of it if i actually had a real conversation via phone or in person, but im too scared to do that. i once had councelling and jsut felt like it was an exercise in seeing how long i could talk for. i really dont need that again.

i think id benefit most from a hug. they should set up hugging booths.

Hugs are definitely good, but sadly not availible all the time.

A conversation is useful, it's scary I know but they're non judgemental and just there to have a chat if that's all you want. Ranting and getting it out of your system is something a fantastic thing!

ReputationRep:
    Remember that they're not so much there to give advice, as that can make them liable, but to listen and help you think things through.
    For instance unless things have changed if a child rings up and explain that they're being abused, they can't say "go to childline/the police".
    From a friend who works for them: "Samaritans cannot tell anybody to do anything
    against policy to advise"

" in that situation you can kinda ask questions such as what do you want to happen etc. to see if the child has already had the idea of wanting to bring the person to justice

then you can say well how do you think you can do that?

can even go as far as to maybe ask stuff like where did you find our number? were there any other numbers to ring? at a push, that would be okay"

(we're talking on MSN).

That said most people can get a lot of self help from talking things through with someone else. It lets you see things from a different perspective.

Edit:
    There's no judgement as such, which you might expect from other people. You might be a paedophile and hate yourself for it. But talking things through can then help that person, and they may even go into council-ling if they want to change who they are.
    Personally I have nothing against paedophilia but lots against child molesting. Although I think talking about these things for either person is a good thing. Because they can either accept who they are or change. And if it is the latter, I hope they do change. If it is the former I hope they don't.

Oh and I don't work for Samaritans.
    I think it's a bit confusing for young people and can be mis-leading if they're looking for advice. But that's from an outside perspective only, so it's an opinion based on limited evidence.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.